Sign in to follow this  
fourtytwo

Reolink POE simple IR camera requires active poe ?

According to the specs even simple camera's (e.g. RLW-8/510a) of <=15W require active poe ports.
I find this hard to believe, camera's that have ptz and spotlights maybe.

Has anybody used these simple cams on simple 802.3af passive ports ?

Many thanks for the reply, I had not realized it had been made so unnecessarily (IMOP) complex & expensive! So we have to spend $$$$ on power supplies instead of cheap & cheerful.

OK if you have a poe nvr or switch but bad news if your installing a few standalone camera's on a router.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, tomcctv said:

Hi POE injectors are cheap and better than using a plug type power supply

Well unfortunately that's where the fun starts! 99% of the products described as injectors that I examined turned out to be passive........

Active ones start at around £35 a port and I don't call that cheap.

However I did find a handy little 4 port 10/100 switch with active POE for around £35 capable of delivering 40W across the 4 ports, plenty for simple camera's.

Tp-link TL-SF1005LP here that will do me nicely for my existing 2 cams I measured at 6W each (with IR on) plus room to expand to another two.

1 hour ago, fourtytwo said:

Well unfortunately that's where the fun starts! 99% of the products described as injectors that I examined turned out to be passive........

Hi none of this matters…. Poe injector for your camera is only £8

or if looking for more cameras later ….. 4 port Poe switch with two upload ports and give an range of 250m each port total 60w

11 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi none of this matters…. Poe injector for your camera is only £8

Could you post a link of an example of that as I was completely unable to find an active injector at that price please ?

2 hours ago, fourtytwo said:

Could you post a link of an example of that as I was completely unable to find an active injector at that price please ?

Hi something as simple as a T-P link…….. TL-poe150s  

to keep things simple only google iP camera Poe 

4 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi something as simple as a T-P link…….. TL-poe150s 

There you go £14 according to Amazon and then you have to add an external 48V power adapter (another £12) so around £26/port.

I have to admit I did miss that particular injector in my travels as by then I was probably fed up with researching such items (there are hundreds) as everyone turned out to be passive! So thanks for the tip if I ever want to power just one camera.

Meanwhile still waiting for my poe switch to turn up that all being well is a more economical solution for multiple camera's.

33 minutes ago, fourtytwo said:

There you go £14 according to Amazon and then you have to add an external 48V power adapter (another £12) so around £26/port.

That’s the problem with Amazon…. Over priced …. Trade there £8 ….. the seller on Amazon has split the product up injector then power supply …… TP link supply the power supply …….. and why would you want a 48v power supply for one injector 

pc world with power supply 12.98

• IEEE 802.3af standard compliant. 
  • Delivers power up to 100 meters. 
  • Auto-determine the necessary power requirements. 
  • Plug-and-Play, requires no configuration. 
  • External power adapter supply