CraigVM62

some basic PTZ cam questions

I need to look into a PTZ Cam install, which I have never done before. I understand I will need to make certain the PTZ camera utilizes a protocol compatible with the DVR to which will control the DVR remotely. Is it generaly a problem to control the PTZ onsite with conventional a joystick controller, aswell as remotely via the DVR's Remote Software? Distance from DVR / Controler will be approximately 400 feet so will be using UTP with Active Baluns for video and understand Cat5e can be used for the control wires to the PTZ. Would I be anywhere near the distance limitations regarding these control wires?

Thanks for any input you may have

Just about everything can run Pelco.

Can you not use the DVR software to control the PTZ? If not you can get into command issues without a multiplexor.

You shouldn't have any problems, might even try passive baluns before throwing $ at it.

I personally use the blue pairs for video and orange for data.

Use 18/2 for power, most PTZs are 24VAC, I only use cat5 for power with bullets/mini domes.

Thanks for the responce

The DVR would be a 4 channel stand alone type. I am uncertain how a PTZ would be controled onsite via such a DVR and CCTV monitor unless using the software via PC's on the network the DVR is tied into or Remote Software. The priority is remote viewing and control though.

Camera would be powered from the same building it will be located on so only video over the UTP. I most likely would run a dedicated Cat5e just for the PTZ camera control signals and a second for video.

So only one pair is needed for the PTZ control?

Thanks

Okay now I see better, I know jack about dedicated units. If you only care about remote then forget a keyboard and save some dough. If you

Run 2 cables 1 cat5 and 1 18/2

You can run a camera, microphone, or even PTZ serial data on any of the pairs so you can really have 2 PTZs video and data down 1 cat5.

There wouldn't be any gain from running 2 cat5 cables to the PTZ.

I will have a power supply very near the camera, so I had planned on running a short length of 16/2 from it to the PTZ. I was just uncertain of what conductors were needed to manipulate the PTZ. What is considered max length from DVR / Controller to a PTZ when using Cat5 "excluding video"

Thanks for the info.

It's my understanding that the serial data will go about twice as far as the video signal (passive balun, no trancievers), but thats in the cat5 with the video. I have installed 4 PTZs on 2 cat5s first one maybe 350' out with a splice in it about half way, second one ~350 feet out without a splice. The other run started about ~450' out with a splice in the last 60' then the last one ~600' no splices.

Each cam got a home run of 18/2 for power (4).

So far no problems and way cheaper the siamese plus UTP data.