jisaac

application trends rapidly evolving!!!!!!

This year has been a year of several different market trends in digital video system design. I look back at the beginning of the year and we were doing 95% basic analog cameras and dvr systems. But it amazes me how quickly the demand over here has changed to require system design and implementation of things we very rarely every got to install.

A year ago today we did very very little amounts of wireless/ip/LAN cameras and camera systems

Today we have been putting in numerous combinations of wireless & wired IP systems. Mega pixel cameras are getting implemented in an astounding rate.

Video analytics is another technology being put in some of our applications.

And many other things that are exciting to get to provide but I have never seen such an explosion in new technology introductions and the short time in which it gets into the systems we can provide.

Are the rest of you guys seeing the same thing over the states and over the world???

perceptrak by cernium

Oh yes very interesting and very much a whole new way to introduce a video surveillance sytem to the end users who so desperatly need it.

Just take a look into it and learn some and you will be amazed at the possiblities in providing analytics.

It will be huge and the normal for most systems in a few years.

perceptrak by cernium

Oh yes very interesting and very much a whole new way to introduce a video surveillance sytem to the end users who so desperatly need it.

Just take a look into it and learn some and you will be amazed at the possiblities in providing analytics.

It will be huge and the normal for most systems in a few years.

WOW!!!

That looks like an amazing system. Is this something that's available now?

Also, is that a true Hybrid system? It appears that the head end server has composite (bnc) ports as well as the ability to receive and process IP camera feeds.

oh ya the technology is being put in numerous high profile and every day busineses. The technology is great and efficent. I think its the new wave of video surveillance and how we set up to be monitored.

Nice to see you venture out. Do you think its really a trend or more of something that comes your way now that you support it?

What is your most common type of application for using perceptrak? What kind of business have you seen using it? What is the smallest business you've seen use it and why did they want it? How is it working for them?

Well of course being involved in a type of installation will lead to other installs that are the same. IN comparison to not having any involvement with it at all and the likely hood of getting analytic type installation.

But I do believe that it will be a technology that will be used in overwhelming amount of systems over the next several years.

I mean its like having a one human per channel and only watching that channel while simultaneously maintaing100% focus, 100% endurance, and all other ability's to maintain a constant monitoring of only that channel all day all night every single day of the year.

And that’s only for the live monitoring. The searches for recorded video are awesome. You can set a search for “2 people converging between October 27, 2006 and the 28th and parting ways after converging in opposite direction while maintaining a 2 minute time period of meeting.

How long would that take you to search back through motion detected video on a dvr?

A long time.

What is the smallest business? A small office complex that has 14 cameras and at any given time had 1 sometime 2 guards on site.

They had an existing system that was installed a year and a couple of months before we installed the new system. The site had constant traffic 24/7 and was hard to monitor constantly without feeling like your mind had been put through a heavy duty wash cycle at the laundry mat.

It has been great in the increase in safety and lowering the load on the existing guards. Shoot the guards have taken on other job titles since they were not of use any more except when the system alerted them. And since they are out on the property during the secondary job it just alerts them on the pda and they respond to relevant events.

It’s like a very good spam filter on steroids. Only giving you the relevant information and disregarding the irrelevant.

Hi Isaac, is this the system you're using the Pano IP Cams for .. just wondering .. do they accept composite video or are they strictly and IP camera system? Also, do they have any other demos besides the WMV file on their site, maybe a hidden one somewhere you can point my way

I saw them a year or so ago when i was researching these technologies, lots of stuff from Israel also ... this seemed to be the US one that I saw around the web, though im sure the software is even more advanced now.

Also, GeoVision seems to have some of these features installed now, a couple of them for a few years in older versions .. but they arent as advanced as this as for searching at least.

Would be nice to get our hands on a demo, like a kit with a single camera .. for testing purposes .. any ideas? Also what made you choose them over the other guys, and do you still install DVRs?

Lastly ... are they expensive ... I take it from the PDF they are an all in one system ..? (maybe an example retail comparison to say a GE or Pano Stand Alone DVR)

If its as good as they claim .. its definately worth looking at .. are there distributors or do you buy direct?

As to trends. .. i think its still all about paying the least amount of money for the best product out there .. I dont think even the cheap budget DVRs will be going anywhere soon, there are just so many DIY's out there to keep that market going for many years to come .. and then the well known PC DVR companies are coming out with New features and new technology every few months now, such as GeoVision .. and im sure other ones (they make enough they certainly should be). Eventually they will have to tap the IP camera market (as they are now actually with Avermedia's Hybrid DVRs and Geo's IP Servers) to capture an even larger audience.

thanks

rory

"Hi Isaac, is this the system you're using the Pano IP Cams for .. just wondering "

we use panasonic ip cameras alot now on a good bulk of the systems.

"just wondering .. do they accept composite video or are they strictly and IP camera system"

Both.

"Also what made you choose them over the other guys, and do you still install DVRs? "

Well I first heard about them at a security summit in dallas in febuary earlier this year. They gave a live demonstration of the software. I was extremely skeptical of the idea and was quick to swallow my pride once I saw every thing I thought that would not make it work be dissolved right there in front me.

And yes we do still install dvr's. I always try to keep the whole perspective on any new system is what is best for the application. Some applications would function best with a dvr system. Some nvr. Some something totally different. I am a firm believer in designing a system that is designed and implemented according the sites requirements/demands/needs and also the prospects objectives. So one install might be a basic 8 channel dvr with remote viewing and another might be ip based analytics with perimeter beams and event based remote monitoring. I never know until we do a site survey and develop a plan with the prospect.

"Lastly ... are they expensive ... I take it from the PDF they are an all in one system ..? (maybe an example retail comparison to say a GE or Pano Stand Alone DVR) "

Well expensive is different to different people. I am not a good person to ask if it is expensive because I think things are very affordable that people think is outragous. But to answer your question with my personal thoughts then No it is not expensive. I will give you a comparison of two proposals I did here recently with 15 ip camera system with pano ip cams and nvr

the first proposal was:

13 panasonic WV-NW474S

2 panasonic wv-cw954 ptz

1 panasonic GX-900 encoder

1 panasonic WJ-ND300/500

The total on this system was 94,000.00

Not including tax.

And system with analytics.

13 panasonic WV-NW474S

2 panasonic wv-cw954 ptz

1 panasonic GX-900 encoder

1 panasonic WJ-ND300/500

cernium master console station

cernium rvp16IP

total was $130,000

The total on the system was 36,000 dollar difference. Would have been a little lower but had to make some upgrades on their lan and stations with the analytics. But when you look at the total cost of a companys total cost of operations for an entire year with guards and camera monitors vs. analytics and responding to only legitimate events then their is no comparison. The cost to have 2 or 3 guards on site all the time. Compared to only 1 guard on site doing a better job is significant.

The lower cost in renting the guards a year was over 100,000.

So you can see how that is very appealing to certain applications.

Reduce the liability

Increase effectiveness of security

No increase in cost of security personal

How valuable is that ability to provide those 3 things to a CSO?

Well give it shot and you will find out how important that will be to him.

Now about getting a demonstration I had a rep come up here before we put in any in and let me give a live demo from his laptop to a prospect. But as it stands I dont think there is a just a working demo that they let any person just log on and see. It would be kind of weird if they did because as there is no events happening the camera shots you dont even see until there is suspicious behavior. So you could be looking at a blank screen for a while.

Does it record all the time, even if there is nothing going on, or does it just record suspicious activity?

If it just records what it thinks is suspicious then I would be interested in the legal aspects of that. If people have had problems with motion based recording (ie people saying how do you know it was working at the time etc) then it would be fun trying to prove in court that the system will always spot suspicious activity and that there is zero chance it didnt record a important event it did not think was suspicious.

Sounds like a good system though, reducing the amount of stuff people have to look at so only important stuff can be concentrated on.