Please forgive my layman's questions.

I need to purchase  a 12v power distribution 18Ch box for my 16 hard wired cameras (large house...large gardens, some self build plots we are developing)

Most boxes on Amazon/Ebay offer either 10a or 20a or 30a with subsequent price increases

1. what is the recommended amperage 10/20/30a and why...I wish to keep the purchase price as low as possible

2. are the distribution boxes designed so that each channel supplies 12v to each camera; obviously with a smallish reduction due to cable length/efficiency

Hi it is best practice to use two power supplies (2x8 way) as this will protect your system more one power supply will disable your system if it goes faulty having two at least keeps 8 cameras going 

what is your budget

Thanks Integrator.

I will consider 2 x boxes BUT the available space will be a problem.

My budget is always going to be as low as possible for a decent unit.

Can you supply a box, if so please give me a price; maybe by private message

Do I need to push the amps up i.e. should I buy 10-20 or 30 amp unit(s)

Hi 

amps is total of power supply …. Some cheap power units have 0.5 amp per channel so that’s the first thing to look at

i always work on 1 or 1.5 amp per channel this covers for cable distance and the surge that you will have when IR comes on …. Some cheap units will not power up all cameras once power has gone off …. So if you work on 1 or 1.5 amp per camera you should be fine

also if space is a problem you can power camera from other location …. Out buildings put power supply there 

but I do need a budget to point you in the right direction and your location 

Hi again and thank you.

I will consider 2 x 8CH as your idea is sensible.

I am using your advice of 1 -1.5A per channel. 16CH x 1.5A =24A......................8CH x 1.5A = 12A, I may chance a 10A power box but probably go for a 20A box

However budget wise, I see on Ebay I can buy a 18CH 30A power box for around £30.00 This is my budget.

When checking for power boxes; I also see that perhaps I can replace the power unit within my present box with a universal Power Adapter Transformer, DC 12V 20A

Regards

Richard

Hi. Just looked at a few on eBay … not many show their real spec …. One is showing 20amp but states max 500ma each channel which is only 0.5amp

some even say auto reset after fault condition…. Yet on there picture it shows fuses for each channel SO not auto reset

can you post a link to the eBay one

I am learning something new from each of your excellent replies; again thank you.

BTW I accept I am an idiot when I / we are discussing power boxes BUT if ever I can help you on matters of Self Build HDeveloepment UK, I have a little more knowledge. www.floshmeadowsselfbuild.co.uk

The Very long Ebay link is, (with many more boxes shown towards the ebay page bottom)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364261592079?hash=item54cfaecc0f:g:EaEAAOSwJ8FgZZ9O&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8D%2BVXUXQqi%2BHlFCw8wWec63MOcvvX%2BsxEDG6UKSDwOabc7qeiDuZtRKh8GpYVcMxvGzFfeE5IpEkJgBBVNYlwk6uAuZeLCVAZmbEbKxL8n%2FqRqKgbn5RlVJlBYnqqHQJcNEHDSaM3JBAS9IWVExFoQgUHigBiFcy7aSU8dmP%2BcNn3djEN1fL9NCFb4ICVKEn97VX7V0aAu2D%2BYUCg4WeGdDRwBM0C45Hlq211STlUWQ%2BEh2XEHREV2lHOzd0quyZmFZyy09q3BwvxHjBbFDYmmjBA1FrL6EqJyidVWeprMDt3YDhLgo4SO6aJP6Lqv2JqQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM2L3V4pJi