BigT

USB memory sticks not allowed. How else to transfer footage?

Hello I work for a business that use standalone Hikvision DVRs. To transfer footage to the police we currently export to DVD or CD and police are meant to collect.

However the police are increasingly requesting footage to be uploaded to their websites, and are less frequently picking up the footage on discs that we’ve exported.

I have been asked if USB memory sticks can be used to export the footage onto and then insert the USB memory sticks into a computer to upload to the police. However our company have blocked use of USB memory sticks to prevent risk of viruses.

Can anyone think of any innovative ways of getting footage from standalone DVRs to the police websites?

thank you.

Hi what part of the world are you in ?

burning off to cd or DVD is a thing of the past and police have always been careful when footage is passed to them on a dvd. 
with usb at least they can check for viruses 

also a lot of companies block usb for the same reason so there are only a few options 

record footage on phone or tablet from the recorder app and then send it via email or load to Dropbox and creat a video file box and give police access to that ….. of the same for loading onto YouTube but only give it a reference name …… YouTube if not advised if it is a serious crime 

6 hours ago, BigT said:

I have been asked if USB memory sticks can be used to export the footage onto

then insert the USB memory sticks into a computer to upload to the police.

However our company have blocked use of USB memory sticks to prevent risk of viruses.

Ask IT department to connect the DVRs to your company's network and then use Hikvision software on your computer to export/download the footage.

6 hours ago, tomcctv said:

burning off to cd or DVD is a thing of the past and police have always been careful when footage is passed to them on a dvd. 
with usb at least they can check for viruses 

Because a USB can have it's data deleted, renamed, alerted and added to.

A DVD is read-only data. Police don't want to be held legally responsible of people accusing them of modifying data.

Thanks for all responses thus far.

The company I work for is based in the UK.

the Hikvision DVRs are standalone and due to the age of them our IT don’t want them connected to our IT network due to security risks.

I considered allowing staff to video the monitors showing the footage and then uploading to the police but our company doesn’t allow personally owned mobile devices to be used to process sensitive information such as CCTV footage. The police have sometimes used their body worn cameras to take video directly from the monitor but this is time consuming and they prefer we upload footage to their upload websites.

I tried tethering my company mobile phone via USB to see if the footage could be exported directly to the phone but the Hikvision DVR doesn’t see the phone as a USB storage device. I tried this with both an iphone and android. I wonder if a USB hub could be used that both the DVR and phone could see the USB storage?

If I could cheaply create a way to export footage to a phone we could buy some cheap android phones but Hikvision is only seeing a traditional USB flash drive. I also imagine it wouldn’t recognise an encrypted USB flash drive.

Is it time to modernise the kit and get it connected?

1 hour ago, BigT said:

The company I work for is based in the UK.

the Hikvision DVRs are standalone and due to the age of them our IT don’t want them connected to our IT network due to security risks.

If IT can block a USB drive from working when plugged into a computer, they can block the DVR from accessing the internet on the business's router.

They're just being lazy.

1 hour ago, BigT said:

I considered allowing staff to video the monitors showing the footage and then uploading to the police.

Terrible idea.

A goal of CCTV is to capture as much detail as possible. Videoing the screen loses soo much of that quality. 

You need to export it off the DVR.

I would be telling your company to upgrade the DVR or telling IT department to connect the DVR to the network and stop being lazy creating extra firewall rules.

2 hours ago, BigT said:

Is it time to modernise the kit and get it connected?

Hi. Your IT Department is right … companies in the uk with the ban on hikvision have remover hikvision completely 

this is also why the police will not load hik on a computer footage or software  … under government regulations they cant

using mobiles ….. yes you can make a local network with a wireless router connected to your dvr but I think you will be wasting money 

new DVRs are not expensive and you don’t need to change cameras….. and yes it is time to change ……. If something was to happen and your insurance company wanted footage and you can’t it may void insurance and also the problem again insurance companies will not load hikvision onto there computers 

what part of uk are you in ? How many cameras do you have