Sign in to follow this  
Pete_B

New Cameras

Morning all,

I need some advice from the knowledgeable please. Over 15 years ago when I was able to do these sort of things I fitted a CCTV system in our present house  It  has two cameras wired into the recorder which is in the loft. A while back the recorder simply just stopped working and I was told it was just to old to be worth repairing so I should get a new digital one. I'm now in my 86th year and the old bones just start to complain now when I try scrambling about and up and down ladders.

Anyhow I did manage to fit a wireless Texecom alarm system a few years back and got our local engineer to commission it for me so that I could tell the insurance company that it was professionally fitted. He came round the other week and fitted a new Dahua CCTV recorder  and got it all working but said the the two old cameras I fitted way back were just not doing justice to the system and I seriously ought to think about replacements. When I look at my sons set up I can see what he means just chalk and cheese.

So, I'm looking for advice on what I would need to pay for a couple of wired cameras to update the system. Being pensioners we obviously can't afford the very best but at the same time don't want to buy rubbish. I would be hopeful of getting something for somewhere between £50-£75 per camera or is that just wishful thinking   

A good working IP camera, 5 megapixels, with options wired/wireless, waterproof, night vision, is about 45 us dollars.

The same is the price of the recorder NVR

And you have to buy separately HDD, probably $100 for 2-3-4TB

I upgraded from my really old cameras to a few Zosi 2MP cameras last year. Cheap and cheerful, I wasn't expecting much. but they've been excellent for my needs so far.