kwano

CGNAT IPv6 Remote Access setup Help

So I've just switched my Broadband from Virgin Media (after 25+ years) to a new supplier BRSK. Great opening deal and the speed is fantastic.

Only problem I have is that they use CGNAT and now I can't access my CCTV system remotely on my mobile device.

The NVR is the OYN-X iAtlantis PRO iApollo 8 (basically from the family of Dahua, QVIS etc.) The App I'm using is Pegaso.

There is an option to pay £5per month for a static IP address but would like to avoid this if possible.

This is from the BRSK website :

I have read this article on your website :

https://help.brsk.co.uk/en/articles/7061006-troubleshooting-port-forwarding-with-the-icotera-router

Extract information :

“Don't want to purchase the BetterIP add-on? Not to worry, here are some alternatives to access your LAN devices remotely:

·       IPv6: We've supported IPv6 since our inception, and every customer is allocated a set of IPv6 prefixes for usage. This will allow you to access your devices (as long as they support IPv6, which most modern devices do) on the network over IPv6 remotely, without port forwarding. This can only be done from other networks that also support IPv6.  

·       Overlay networks: You may be able to use a 3rd party overlay network such as Tailscale. Tailscale currently has a free tier plan, and this will allow you to access your internal network over a secure overlay connection without any port forwarding required.”

I was given an IPv6 address from BRSK and when I inserted this in the Address field in the App I am getting "Connection Failed".

Port :37777 - does this remain the same on the App ?

See screenshot:

IP Address / Default Gateway / Preferred DNS / Alternate DNS are all default values which are prefilled when I change the drop down to IPv6.

I change the IP address to the one given by BRSK but do I amend any of the other options ? 

Can anyone help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks All.

NVR screenshot-min.jpg

49 minutes ago, kwano said:

The NVR is the OYN-X iAtlantis PRO iApollo 8 (basically from the family of Dahua, QVIS etc.) The App I'm using is Pegaso.

Hi  all 3 listed above are not all dahua so we need to determine which system you have … your screen image also shows you are using the xmeye unit …. Which can use the dahua app 

also why are you choosing IPv6 …… depending on age of your recorder it may not be supported 

can I ask why you have gone with such a new company that was created in 2020

Thanks for reaching out Tom.

It is a  OYN-X iAtlantis PRO iApollo 8.

Thanks correcting me. Having coming across videos on YouTube the interface looks the same as on the Dahua nvr's.

I thought IPv6 will help resolve my problem. It seems to indicate this from the article from BRSK. There is a drop-down option for IPv6 in the network screen and it says it's supported in the manual - hopefully !

The reviews from BRSK looked really good and the price very competitive. Virgin subs were increasing year on year and getting through to customer service is like pulling teeth ! On the other hand, BRSK have been the opposite although I suppose their customer base is much smaller. There seems to be more and more new players coming to market.

Hi. Atlantis pro and I Apollo 8

are too seperate systems ……. How old is your unit and why are you using that app … are you on iOS or android?

I wish people read there isp terms and conditions….. 14 you have gone past your 14 day period then it’s going to start getting expensive for you

i don’t know which option you have taken for data but lets say the 500mbps which unless you have a big family all watching Netflix then it is overkill BUT you only get 500mbps if everything is hard wired (90%) of equipment is now Wi-Fi based in a home so your not going to get 500mbps

IPv4 is standard and IPv6 is rolling out more in the uk 

but here is my problem with your new supplier a IPv4 iP is getting hidden behind a Nat by your new supplier for some reason I have never seen a mainstream isp do that in the uk before

It was purchased in mid 2015 from my local security supplier Alarm Supplies which was recommended by them at the time.

It is an OYN-X (QVIS) I-Atlantis-ProNVR. The iApollo is the original App which I used originally then stopped working sometime ago (lack of support) and I started using the Pegaso one on an ANDROID mobile phone.

Yes maybe I should of spotted this but its like anything sometimes you dont realise until its too late ! However, I think the service is still excellent for an everyday user who just needs it for general streaming etc.

Funnily enough my house is all ethernet up in every room and for the wireless devices I'm using a UNIFI mesh system and the speeds are hitting the figures quoted. I'm not using the supplied wireless router.

Just read up on this :

"The problem is that the existing older players in the market have managed to horde IP's so they have given a false impression that the IPv4 crisis isnt real, these new players simply do not have enough IP's in some cases to give every customer an IP hence the use of CGNAT.

In datacentres e.g. IPv4 IP's have become very premium and in the past year have seen costs of 300-400% increases on them, where they offloading their increased energy costs to."  

Theres a few new ISP's which are not that well known are using CGNAT because of this. Alot of these I've never heard of too. You only seem to know about them when they are local to your area and when they start advertising.

I wonder if a Static IP will resolve the issue. I will have to ask the question whether it is Public or Private.

OYN Manual-min.jpg

Hi a static from that company costs a lot of money ….. infact you have a static IPv6 but shared. 
And you also have a what’s called a stack router which they have supplied (it’s the only way ipv4 and IPv6 can communicate)

ipv4 was established 1983 it can’t disappear overnight 

instead of spending more money I would swap out your recorder (cheaper than buying a static from them) remember it’s a monthly charge for as long as your with them

as far as apps you should be using explorer app for that unit     But your recorder is 9 years old so no point spending money with your isp when you can just change nvr

BRSK offer Static IPv4 address for a monthly cost of £5.00 :

"A static IP is a fixed public IPv4 assigned to your broadband connection by your internet service provider (ISP).

BetterIP gives you a static IP address and can be useful for hosting your own internet facing services such as a website or games server and may be required for some more technically complicated uses of your broadband connection. Note that all our broadband connections support IPv6."

Over the 24 month contract with BRSK even with the extra fiver it still works out far cheaper than VirginMedia at 36%

However, the idea of replacing and upgrading the NVR seems a good choice. A quick look and it seems they can be had for about £120+. 

Ideally a mainstream manufacturer with good support.

But would the latest NVR overcome the CGNAT issue ? Is remote access made differently ?

Which NVR would you recommend ? And what do I look out for so it is compatible with my existing QVIS IP cameras, Onvif ?

Which online shop do you suggest too ? 

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, kwano said:

A static IP is a fixed public IPv4 assigned to your broadband connection by your internet service provider (ISP).

Yes I know what a static iP is …..most static are free from isp …. Paying for them is a thing of the past 

also using them is a thing of the past … only need one if the system is old like yours and does not support NAT

your looking at £270 for 8 way 4K nvr and NDAA approval….. don’t buy without in the uk