rory

Geo's Recording Speeds & Image Sizes

Been looking at the recording speeds at different image sizes for the various cards. I would like help in clarifying these specs, as most people in the Security Industry will typically be recording at 640x480 or higher, not 320x240. I would like to clear this up as preferred advertising should not be in the lowest resolution, it should be in the highest resolution, or clearly show both low and high res specs together.

The Following are based on NTSC:

-----------------------------------

GeoVision Specs:

Full D1, Half D1, CIF

GeoVision Settings:

320x240

640x480, 640x240

720x240, 720x480

Actual Image Standards:

QVGA = 320x240

CIF = 352 x 240

VGA = 640x480

2CIF = 704 x 240

D1 = 720x480

QUESTION: do we go by the following for Geo?

CIF: 320x240

2 CIF: 640x480, 640x240

D1 : 720x240, 720x480

Here are the Recording Specs Per Card:

(obtained from another website)

GV 1480: (480fps Display)

- 480 FPS @ CIF

- 240 FPS @ 2CIF

- 120 FPS @ D1

GV 1240: (480fps Display)

- 240 FPS @ CIF

- 120 FPS @ 2CIF

- 120 FPS @ D1

GV 1120: (480fps Display)

- 120 FPS @ CIF

- 60 FPS @ 2CIF

- 30 FPS @ D1

GV 800-GV250:

This is where it gets vague. On geo's site it says that the Overall Record speed of these cards, are in 320x240, the other site they are on do not mention any image size and speed details with these specific cards, as they did with the combo cards.

EG: GV 800 = 120fps @ 320x240, GV 600 = 60fps @ 320x240

Okay so we can take a guess and perhaps the GV 800 does D1 @ 30fps ... but where are we left with the GV 600, and then even moreso, the GV 250!

From using a GV 250 myself here in my personal PC, i know im not getting less than at the least 15fps in 720x480 ... so I am lead to believe that with these cards, they do the specified speeds in all image sizes. But if this was so, then that would mean the GV 800 would actually be better than the GV 1120, yet costs less money!

If anyone that is in direct contact with Geo can clear this up, please do.

Thanks

Rory

I take it the new Geo Hardware Compression 4 and 8 channel cards will take care of the Real Time Speed issues.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/GV-2008.htm

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/GV-2004.htm

You can install 2 of the 8 channel cards for 16 total channels, but does this then equal 480fps? Also, the specs claim the PC will require 2 GB of DDR ram for 2 cards.

Either way, these cards along with the new multi quad card will no doubt change the way alot of us build the Geo DVRs. Combined together these basically give you a Matrix type higher quality system.

Found this pdf

http://www.remote-security.com/download/pctested.pdf

which shows tested systems, along with the frame rates they got on different cards/setups, may be of some help.

Im confused over the specs for the hw compression cards, they seem to need a high spec machine, but the whole point of a hw compression card is the card itself does all the work (it compresses the video) meaning you can use it on a normal spec machine without problem. Odd they need a high spec machine for a card that is supposed to make life easier for the machine....

Yeah but that is only a list of configurations they used with Geo .. PolVision has a similar one. .

My question is related to the actual Frames Per Second and the Image Sizes ..

Anyway im going to spec the hardware Compression cards now, with the Multi Quad card .. call it the Matrix System ..

What I would really like to see (I-View has this) is a case for Geo which has push buttons on the front ... even if they only act as the IR Remote and GV Keyboard do together .. just more and more people ask for something without a mouse and keyboard ..

support (@) geovision.com.tw

They are very helpful specially in helping with fraudulent sellers.

cheers

HI Rory, I am after a customiseable GUI to get rid of the baby crap green on the screen, do you have any ideas.

also I like the OS keyboard that comart have,

its brilliant

The cards that use bt878 chips can do 30fps 740x480 PER CHIP.

The GV250 must be slowed in software. This could also be effected by transcoding if you select a compression greater then MPEG2.

Multiplexing effects this too, unfortunately I don't know exactly how much but IIRC it's 2 fps per switch. So a GV 600 - 4 should be able to get 6 fps ( (30-8)/4=5.5fps ) assuming all 4 channels are active.

My problem is GV stops using the bt878 somewhere in the 800 range, once they gop to techwill I don't know jack.

HI Rory, I am after a customiseable GUI to get rid of the baby crap green on the screen, do you have any ideas.

also I like the OS keyboard that comart have,

its brilliant

I take it you mean for the older versions of Geo ..

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geoskinz.asp

But its only for NTSC .. it just changes the Ini files and images though so if you could work that part out ... I dont have PAL to test with ..

You will have version 8.0x though and this is for the older ones (7.0x and lower) .. thanks though .. also requires editing the files and Geo likes to crash alot when the image and ini files are incorrect ... so would take some time ..

The cards that use bt878 chips can do 30fps 740x480 PER CHIP.

The GV250 must be slowed in software. This could also be effected by transcoding if you select a compression greater then MPEG2.

Multiplexing effects this too, unfortunately I don't know exactly how much but IIRC it's 2 fps per switch. So a GV 600 - 4 should be able to get 6 fps ( (30-8)/4=5.5fps ) assuming all 4 channels are active.

My problem is GV stops using the bt878 somewhere in the 800 range, once they gop to techwill I don't know jack.

Dont know .. was just going by the manufacturers specs on the combo cards on the other website .. they dont show any specs on the other cards for that .. my main issue is this, the GV-1120-16 is $200 more than the GV-800-16 (retail) ... now going by the specs above the 1120 does only 30fps in 720x480 and 60fps in 640x480, what I really would like to know is if the GV-800 does the same, or whether it does 120fps in 640x480 at the least .. not too concerned about 720x480 as that just eats up HDD space anyway .. but if the GV-800 is faster than other than the DSP on the 1120, that would make the GV-800 a better card .. slight live jitter as its not 480 display but still .. as for recording ... see with the price of the GV-1120-16 and the GV-800-16 it doesnt even make sense buying the 8 channel versions in either of those, as there is barely a difference in price time as you add a PC etc . .. clients prefer a 16 channel anyway incase they ever want to add additional cameras ..

Hey Rory, did you find out the specific information from Geo about the recording speeds? We are building a few DVR's for a customer that requires real time (30ps) on 13 of the 16 cameras and we were planning on using the 1480 card but does anyone know if these frame rates are possible on 640x480 or even 720X480? We generally use the 800's wtih excellent success and sometimes use the 1120's when we require TV out but rarely use the 1480 due to the etra storage that would be required for 16 cameras recording at 30fps which isn't always necessary.

If no one has a definite answer, I might contact geo support directly.

the 1480 is definately not more than 240fps at 640x480 ... I believe at 720x480 it is 120fps, perhaps 240fps at 640x480 .. but to get these fps you need a CPU with hyperthreading, according to Geo's specs.

Otherwise i havent heard back from Geo on another issue so i dont think I'll be emailing them any time soon .

Also, what I found out a real difference between the 1120 and the 800 is this ..

GV-1120-16:

PROS:

.Real Time Display on VGA Monitor

.DSP Output to a CCTV Monitor for high quality Video

.Audio for all channels

.Only $100 or so more than the GV800-16

CONS:

.If DSP Spot Monitor is enabled in the software, DSP overlay is disabled on the main software. This brings it back down to 120fps display on your VGA monitor, and lower quality.

.If Setting Source Video to 720x480, black borders are evident around video in live, recorded, and remote video - this is a bug they claimed would be fixed in 8.0 .. not so yet.

Thats the main differences, I havent put either side by side with the same exact specs, but it also seems the 800 is slightly clearer video.

Basically if you want faster recording, wait for the Hardware Compression cards which should be around in the next couple weeks or so. If you just want Real Time live video and dont need to use the DSP then the 1120 is a good deal. Otherwise from what I can tell the GV800 is overall a better card, but I hope these new cards will cover that.

I couldn't agree more with you on all those points, they are the exact same things i found with the two different systems. I looked into the Avermedia cards and a few others and to get 480fps on 16 cameras at 640X480 seems to be quite a challange. Do you know if a standard GV card is needed in addition to the hardware cards or just the two hardware cards?

One thing to note is the 1120-1480 have automatic AGC but it can't be fine tuned or adjusted like on the 800 which is a feature I like.

yeah that AGC is something i have an issue with now with a couple bullets. . but they have AI so ill mess with that level tomorrow .. my issue mainly this time is I get kind of like speckles in the image .. dont see it on my BW CCTV Monitor so Ill have to wait to check that when i get a color CCTV Monitor .. client is happy and doesnt notice it .. doesnt show up much on the DSP at the TV though . for a low res 32" Tube TV that image is nice now ... but i left the DSP Spot monitor feature off .. ill probably be adding another IR Remote in the living room at a later date ..

Ahhhh, the speckles, I know exactly what you mean. I asked my supplier and he said I was imagining the difference, but I can definitely see the difference between a combo cards live video (1120/1240/1480) and that of a GV-800. I have installed about 5 of the combo card systems and I think that the 800 has better video, but the combo cards have some nice features specifically the TV output. I don't think most notice the difference but I definitely do. Out of all the DVR's I have used/installed/worked on, I think that the Geo 800's have the best quality video of them all. I would really like to see some good quality video from a Bosch or another very high end stand alone to compare the quality of the video, but have never had the chance to install one.

Well the stand alones dont compare when it comes to evidence sharing ..

And the one nice thing with the Combo cards is you have the same high quality Live Video of a Stand alone if you use the DSP output ...

I figured I would do some trouble shooting later .. after I get paid (which is hopfully tomorrow). Id take the worst camera and power it on a supply by itself, then a Color CCTV Monitor to see what it does .. if the same .. goto the camera and turn off flicker mode, adjust focus etc .. but doubt that is the issue .. I'd probably just rewire the 5 cams that use RG6U and replace the OEM 16 ch PSU with an altronix 16 ch PSU ...

But for now ... they are happy..