intelli-home

How do you match a camera to a DVR?

Hello, I'm new to the CCTV world as my business is mainly alarm systems and automation. More and more customers are asking for CCTV.

I've been reading this forum for about two weeks now. I am completely saturated with information from all you very knowledgable and sharing people - Thank You.

I've read about a DVR being a limiting factor as in terms of picture quality. I have already purchasred a DVR. My question is... I'm ready to purchase some cameras and my budget is decent but at what camera resolution is the max I should go for before my DVR becomes the limiting factor? I will be viewing from a LCD also.

The DVR I purchased is...

Power Telecomm Inc.

PDVR-8300

PENTAPLEX 8 CH MPEG4 STANDALONE DVR

PDVR-8300 is the most advanced MPEG4 stand-alone 8-channel DVR

developed for all industrial applications. In addition to its smooth

professional design, it is very reliable and cost effective. Most of all, its

small recording file size and powerful remote control function with high

speed transmission over network will become the standard to which other

security systems are judged.

Major features include:

120 fps live, 120 fps recording/playback

PENTAPLEX : simultaneous Live, Recording, Playback, Backup, Network

Small recording file size using MPEG4 Video and G.723 audio technology

Adjustable recording frame rate for each channel

Video backup directly to AVI format for easy viewing

High speed network transmission with full screen and each camera modes

Dynamic / Static IP address support and Client / Web Browser support

Supports Pocket PC for remote viewing

Remote recording, still image capturing and printing via network

Multiple DVR and multiple client support

PTZ camera control by RS-485 and via network

Independent color adjustment for each camera input and VGA output

Mouse and IR remote control unit for user interface

Self-diagnosis system: error checking and restoring functions

Powerful event search function

CD-Burner, USB and Network for data backup

Video output: composite video, S-Video and VGA output

Product Specifications

Input 8 BNC, NTSC/PAL, 1V 75 Ohm

Output 2 CVBS, S-Video, VGA Video

Auto-Loop Throughout 8 BNC, NTSC/PAL, 1V 75 Ohm

Input / Output 2 RCA, 1 Input / 1 Output

Audio

Recording Mode G.723 Compression/Decompression

Display FPS (NTSC/PAL) 120 / 100 FPS

Display Resolution 720 X 480 (NTSC), 720 X 576 (PAL) Display

Screen Mode Full, 8 Split, 1/2/3 PIP, Zoom

Pentaplex Mode Simultaneous Live, Recording, Playback, Backup, Network

Video Compression Real-time full duplex MPEG4 hardwire codec

Frame rate Adjustable frame rate for each channel (Max 120 fps)

Video Resolution 720(or 360) X 480 (or 240) (NTSC), 720(or 360) X 576 (or 288) (PAL)

Recording Ways Continuous, Scheduled, Event (internal motion, external sensor)

Recording FPS NTSC : 1~120 FPS, PAL : 1~100 FPS

Image File Size NTSC : 2~12KB, PAL : 2~15KB

Recording

Internal Hard Drives EIDE, MAX 2 HDDs supported, Unlimited HDD Capacity

Dynamic / Static IP support, Own Client / Web Browser support

Client software for Pocket PC support

Multi DVR & Multi Client support

Remote Monitoring / Control

Selectable transmission mode (full screen or each camera)

Playback Screen Mode Full, 8 Split

Playback

Search Mode Search by Manual REC, Motion & Sensor Event REC or Date/Time

External Sensor Input 8CH Sensor Input : NO, NC Type

Alarm Output Internal Buzzer, OSD, Internal Relay (Combined with External Device) Alarm

Control

Alarm Setup Period 30sec ~ 30min

Protocol TCP/IP; RJ-45

Resolution 720, or 360 mode

Remote Control Fully functional remote client software

Viewer Own Application or Web browser

Network

Recording MPEG4 / AVI Recording, JPEG Still image Capturing

Ethernet, CD-Burner, USB

Data Backup

Video backup directly to AVI format for easy viewing

Auto Screen Switching Switching Period : 1~60sec

Signal Loss Detection Automatic alarm

Remote Control IR Remote Control, RS-485 / RS-232C

Power Supply DC 12V, 5A

Edited by Guest

Hi Kevin,

I'm new to the forum too! I also have been reading alot. I have a modeling business in NY. I want to upgrade my system and I had the same question you have. I bought a DVR9 el cheapo at SuperCircuits for $600. I like gadgets and tinkering around with PC's, custom lighting and now I want to redo the CCTV in my studio. My friends think I'm crazy (being a girl an all). I guess it's the TomBoy in me

I probably need to get a better DVR but it works fine. I need more cameras though. I don't mind paying for better cameras but I just don't want to put a HEMI in a Yugo if you know what I mean.

Hi intelli-home, welcome to the forum

Never used that dvr, its specs look fine for recording, but you can never really go by specs, as each dvr uses different compression ratios and or algorithms.

It appears to support full pal resolution (or full ntsc if thats your format) so in theory should be fine with any normal or high res pal/ntsc camera. Course the only way to know for sure is to give it a test!

There is no harm in getting good cameras, especially as the better models (usually higher res) often come with better features, such as wide dynamic range, proper backlight controls, more control over camera settings etc - plus the build quality improves (usually) with cost.

Even if you had/have a dvr that didnt record the full resolution, its always handy to have it for live viewing (which is almost always shown at full resolution, uncompressed) and for future use if you do improve the dvr.

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum!

If the dvr works, and your happy with the picture quality, then thats what matters at the end of the day (as long as your happy that it can identify what you want it to when you replay the recordings).

Would not worry about friends thinking your crazy, people think Im crazy, being into cameras and computers and electronics and photography etc, come to think of it, they are probably right

Its all useful stuff to be into, great fun too...

What is a HEMI by the way? Come to think of it, whats a hugo?

Hi Kensplace, thanks for the welcome

Yeah, the DVR is a no brander but it seems to give a decent picture. My current cameras are some older domes with I beleive 330 TVL. Not very crisp but I can identify most people.

I thought you were messing with me asking about the Hemi and Yugo but being your from the UK maybe your not messing with me. A HEMI is a big powerfull legendary V8 engine used by Dodge. A Yugo is a tiny little piece of crap car that was imported here in the late eighties.

I guess I should find out what the Specs are on my DVR.

Yup, you guessed right, its due to me being from the uk, never heard of the hemi, and only vaguely recognised the name yugo (but was not sure if it was a car or cosmetic!). Not that hot with cars (or cosmetics for that matter I hasten to add ), but now I know, thanks for the clarification

Hi Kensplace,

Thanks for the feedback. Is it the spec (Resolution 720) that you can tell the DVR supports full NTSC? Am I wrong to have thought a lower brand DVR would hinder the quality of the picture?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Karen,

Yeah I read so much stuff on the Forum for weeks that I'm blown away with the amount of information you need to know to make educated decisions. I didn't want to be one of those people who jump in with a basic question with out doing a little homework first.

Right now I don't know my aperture from my Fstop if you know what I mean

Hi kevin, if the specs say it records at the full resolution then it means that it has an immediate advantage over dvrs which record at a lower res (many record fields, ie only half the available res, some record less!).

But - the dvr itself does compress the data when it is saved, so no matter what the resolution, the compression algorithm used, and the amount of compression the manufacter uses will play an important part in the quality of the played back recordings.

A good dvr will have the compression set so you dont see artifacts (blocks in the picture), the motion will be smooth etc. Unfortunately the compression is one area that is next to impossible to predict by looking at the specs - two dvrs could list the same type of compression, but have different quality outputs. This would be due to how the manufacturer implemented all the options in the compression.

In theory, a more expensive dvr will have better results than a cheaper one, as they will have spent more time and money researching and testing the results.

hemi? Yugo? Funny how the phases come out of nowhere eh?

anyway, bottom line is to learn as much as you can before you purchase or pay someone like me to do it. Just depends on what you call fun and what your time is worth to you.

Tom Boy? Hummm.. a model in NY that has a Tom Boy attitude.............you like retired & single Marines?

good luck and read on............