rory

Anyone used this ?

Rory - Collin,

I am the New Business Development Consultant for Difinitron. The features of the Difinitron's Video Meter are similar to the others you have referred to. The meter processes composite video signals, then separates and measures the amplitude of various components (Sync, Video Level (1 Vp-p) Luminance and Color Burst) in the video signal, which are displayed in IRE units on an LCD screen. The focus setting reduces installation time by allowing an installer to attach the VM-417 to the camera and adjusting the lens while watching the LED screen. The camera will be in focus as the alpha numeric display peaks. The device is very easy to use and very effective. If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me at 877-489-6358. Depending on where you are located I may be able to set up a demo for you.

-Chad

Hi Chad .. thanks for the info. Im in the Bahamas so a demo might be a little tough .. but id like to see if we can buy one to test ...

Thanks

Rory

How does the meter know when the camera is in focus? I could be focusing in on any particular point in the scene, depth of field could make the other objects out of focus - how does it know when its focused in on what I want it focused in on?

I cant think how it could do it, unless its just a generic its a sharper picture so it must be in focus test, but that does not tell me if its focused on what needs focusing on.

The meter measures the frequencies created by the CCD chip in the camera. The lens captures the image, and as the image becomes shaper and in focus the video output increase, the meter is calibrated to read and convert this signal to an alpha numeric output which is displayed on the meters LCD screen. As the image becomes focused the displayed number gets larger, once you over focus or peak out the number begins to decrease. As for the field of view, if the field of view changes obviously you will have to refocus the lens.

What would be nice too .. maybe you can pass this on ..

a small LCD for positioning .. built into the meter ..

also .. Windows software version .. so people that might not be able to order the meter for some reason or another, could use a Laptop ..

thanks

Rory

Depth of field, and field of view are totally different things....

Still cant see how the meter will be able to tell if Im focusing on area A, or area B (area A could be further away, area b could be close or vice-versa).

If its a shallow depth of field, the meter will work, but otherwise, I cant see how it could....