OK I have a basic question. Basically at work I have set up 16 cameras with a Geo GV-1480 system. All the cameras are working fine...except for one. The issue with this camera is that it is constantly losing video. I have switched the cables from one camera port to another and after about 10-15 minutes all I get displayed is Video Lost. I am certain the cable is not the issue (the 8 port one to the computer).

We are using a CAT-5 cable and the run is approx. 575 feet. I have replaced the baluns on both ends repeatedly and the results are the same. I'm not sure on the brand of the baluns but they both say GEN IV Technology. Also, we know that there is good voltage across the run. At the camera end, we are getting 12V DC power.

So with all these factors does anyone have any ideas/recommendations/am I in the right forum? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Jerome

Reading 12vdc with no load doesn't verify you have power out that far. How much power does the camera draw? How many pairs are you using?

I have also have this with tight bends and poor splices in cat5. Also obviously I have had defective cameras that did this.

The camera draws DC12V according to the spec sheet. I am using 2 twisted pairs, one pair for the video and one pair for the power. There are about 6 90 degree turns that I have made running this cable. I am not sure if that could be the cause of it. I will probably try to re-splice the cables to see if that makes it any better. If you have any more suggestions please let me know. Thanks a lot Collin!!!

What is the make and model of the camera? Bullet cameras need very little power to operate, an IR cannon one the other hand might draw an amp and a half all by itself.

Are you using 1 pair for power or 2?

Not too sure on the make and model, but its model number is: G4-HRS-480. I am pretty sure it is a bullet style camera. It might be this from looking on the ispyvision website: 1/3" Sony Super HAD Day/Night CCD.

And I am using 1 pair for power, did not know that I could use 2 pairs for power as well. Let me know if I should use 2 pairs or not. Thanks again!

if you have the time, take test monitor to cam and watch the video for 15 mins and see if you lose video (leaving power from the source through the balun). if the video is good, it might be voltage drop on the video back to the dvr. in which case you can double up both feeds, the power and the video.

ex. blue - video +

orange - video -

green - power -

brown - power +

using the white and the color will upsize the wire and allow for longer runs as 575' is pretty long on a 24awg wire

double up the voltage wire .. or power it at the camera .. then see how it goes .. that seems way to long to run on a single pair .. you are probably loosing amps ..

If it also has IR then at night and in low lighting such as clouds etc . the iR maybe coming on and if so that draws more amps.

ex. blue - video +

orange - video -

green - power -

brown - power +

You shouldn't do it that way, you can put the solid blue and orange together and the striped blue and orange together.

The Video + and - MUST be twisted together blue/blue+white and orange/orange+white. If you put video + on blue and - on orange you have defeated the rejection provided by twisting the pairs.

I don't typically do this though, the video shouldn't need to be doubled and I always use 18/2 for power.

Basically I always put the + on the solid wires and the - on the stripes. You should never have a solid spliced to a stripe.

Here is a picture that might help.

UTP-Doubled.jpg

Ok guys, still a bit confused. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but I will definitely give it a shot tomorrow. Here's what I'm going to do if I understand correctly.

I have to double up the power wires. So what I'm thinking is using solid green and solid brown for the positive terminal, then use striped green and striped brown for the negative terminal. Please let me know if I am correct in this or what configuration I have to do just to double up the cables for power. Thanks again guys!

Oh and should I double up on the video as well? The picture does come out clear when it is up...

I have to double up the power wires. So what I'm thinking is using solid green and solid brown for the positive terminal, then use striped green and striped brown for the negative terminal. Please let me know if I am correct in this or what configuration I have to do just to double up the cables for power. Thanks again guys!

You got it.

Oh and should I double up on the video as well? The picture does come out clear when it is up...

Normally you dont double up the video with UTP Transmission ...

Rory

Try powering the camera locally (temporarily), as this will resolve if it is a power issue or not. Sounds too long a run for 12V on one pair.

If this is the longest run, and power is not the issue, you might consider trying an active receiver for the CAT5 at the DVR end.

Failing that I would be loking at the camera for the problem.