parapilotj

Camera Misting

Hi,

I have installed 3 cameras, 1 inside, 2 outside. The 2 outside cameras started to get condensation on the inside of the case within a couple of hours which is still there 4 days later. Why is this happening, is it common? How do i stop it?

Is it because they have gone from warm (inside) to cold (outside)?

Cheers

Jamie.

does the camera have a heater and a fan?

i have heard one way of keeping condensation down is to throw one of those packets(i dont know what it is but usually says on it dont eat lol - it absorbs moisture when things are shipped) you get with ur cameras in the housing

if not get a housing that has a heater and fan so that it controls the temp inside the housing and no more condensation unless the housing is a bad cheap on that doesnt work

This happens if the camera is either not weatherproof or if it is then it's not sealed properly... I would send that camera back to where you purchased it from and have them replace it because they may have the bad batch.

Hi,

No it has no heater or fan. Its similar to the camera below.

13516103457.jpg

Its getting condensation on the inside of the case glass.

Thank You for any help.

Jamie.

Thanks sajaan458

The camera is stamped weatherproof, seams strage its happened on both external cameras. If its not a common thing i will take them back.

It maybe IP66 weatherproof camera which should work fine as long as temp does not go below 25F degree (-5c) or go above around 100F degree (60c). if you are within the spec with that camera and if the camera is IP66 weatherproof then the seller must have defective batch which is very common when you deal with thousands of cameras every month.

ahhh,, one of the reasons why i dont buy bullet cameras i always go with a box camera and then an outdoor housing that has a heater/blower for the cold winters and hot summers here in chicago... id keep sending them back to you get one that works but that can also be a pain

good luck

pg

We had similiar issues on some bullet cameras we ordered. We sent them back, got new ones and it happened again. After about 2-3 weeks of continuous usage the condensation inside the cameras dissappeared. (Possibly due to thermal transfer)

Happens in Box Camera housings also ..

One way to get rid of it .. it at least for a 3 month period at a time .. is to open it up and put one of those condensation packets in there. ..

i Had the same thing happen to me. I could only figure it was the irs making to much heat on the o-rings (does it feel or look like an oily mist?)

Back to the supplier and he told me i was the only one that had these problems, after the second time it happened with me climbing up and down taking it to my supplier in another state i told him just give me store credit and he did and i bought a better brand of camera. please post if you figure it out.

it's the seal and the condensation is moisture getting in somewhere......send it back.

I seen it before, when I set up several camera's outdoors and 1or 2 condensate/fog. Why only 1 or 2? Hum.............maybe the camera's seal is not working as designed.

the weatherproffing requirement for these camera's is a design requirement and not test very well. ie. has to have rubber seals but do they really test them? Nope!

Like I stated, I see alot of bad seals in camera's. What I normally do is install the outdoor camera's FIRST and if any fog up I swap them out with the indoor if possible. My last 32 camera job I went thru 4 swappings before I finally got the right camera outdoors. It's not worth my money to send it back unless necessary.........If I can use it indoors anyway with no issues.

To confirm my theory I can also toss in that the fog/condensation gets worse with rainy weather............

just my opinion

What exactly is stamped on the camera? If it just says weatherproof then thats pretty meaningless, it more than likely means its ok to use if protected from direct rain/snow etc (ie outdoors but under a eave or cover or something).

If its properly made, and tested, it should be IP rated, does it have a IP rating, this would tell you how much water tight it really is.

Personally I would send it back, and get a box camera with a outdoor housing, they may be bigger, but will offer more upgradability for the future, and be better constructed.

I don't think it has much to do with the weather(a least not in my case) I put 4 of these 48 ir cameras in a 10,000 sqft warehouse inside and still had that problem. It felt like oil list on the lens when i tryed to clean it. One huge problem i had with these cameras were that the back seal sor the wiring was leaking.

Ive had this problem on some similiar bullet cameras.. Its caused by the ir's heating up creating a fog all i do is unscrew it and clean it off. it usually only happens to me when there are dramatic weather changes.

ye that might be it but going to service a couple of clients every month doesn't look to good on business. Mine were cheap cameras with alot of IRs, replaced them with better brand cameras and the problem went away.

Interesting- I just read in SDM magazine that the reason for camera misting is because most (ok 90%) of cameras are assembled in Asia where there is high humidity. When they are shipped to different areas of the world with different climates, the atmosphere creates condensation in air tight seals.

Hope this helps.

LOL .. with bullets its quiet simple .. where the cable goes in the rear of the camera, if it is not airtight, when (and not until) it rains, water seeps in and causes condensation.

Rory That is exactly what happened to me got a call went to the client, when i get uo on the ladder look into the camera and theres water in there. the camera was still working but fried the IRs.

That's strange. It's been raining like crazy here, and no misting in any of our bullets. The only misting we had was when they first arrived from Asia, and that went away after a few weeks.

Most cameras come with silica gell in the housing,(my experience) but i don't think a change of climate from Asia to US would do it, atleast not that much. i had a 4 camera setup in a warehouse and i had to go there everyweek to clean up the misting i just finally got tired of it, bought 4 new cameras and put them up never had a problem again. it was a expensive lesson, but one i will not forget.