A-Bolt

New to Forum and need camera advice

Can you give me some suggestions on what type of cameras to use. I am looking for the following:

Outdoor Color,weatherproof, IR cameras for my home. Something small and clean looking. Also indoor Color IR cameras for inside the house, small and clean also. Dome cameras appeal to me the most. I don't want cheap cameras but at the same time not the most expensive ones either. Unless it is a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. Thanks for your input!

Hi

Color/IR ameras will always be "cheap". You could get away with them indoors though.

Domes with built in IR dont cut it, all that I've tested, or seen other images of, have been horrible images.

If its outdoors and you dont have a budget for the pro cameras and IR, best bet would be a True day/night IR bulllet.

I understand that a true day night camera is one that switches from color during the day to black and white at night. If you use IR on the camera, it must have an IR cute filter. Keep in mind when checking specs that they include, IR cute filter. Example, check out the specs for a Nuvico NVCC-HW3895IR36N. From my experience, the price for a decent camera with an IR cute filter will start at the Nuvico price and go up when getting into better or pro cameras.

A True Day/Night camera, has a Mechanical IR Cut filter.

It will typically be more sensitive uner low light and IR, and produce more realistic colors.

Lots of info on that in the day/night links sticky.

Great info guys! This really helps. Now, as far as indoors, can you recommend something small and inobtrusive. And do you necessarily need IR indoors for a residence? Oh yeah, I noticed on the Nuvico camera it was 12VDC or 12VDC/24AC dual voltage. Is there an advantage to one or the other?