phochief

This DVR any good?

Apprently they aren't that bright either. They can't really stop VoIP unless they start blocking IP addresses, or check every packet for VoIP packets and that is a pain to filter at the ISP leval.

well there are only 2 broadband co's, one is DSL, the same one that made the law, the other is cable, they owe the government a favor. Both are monopolies. Either way, they have offered reqards of $10,000 for any persons who turn in others!

And nope, they really are not bright regardless of the VOIP issue.

They have blocked so many ports already it is not funny anymore. One is the SMTP port I use for my mail server. I am stuck using their outgoing server which is down all the time. They say its for spamming issues. I just think they want to read everyones email!

Ofcourse there are alot of things here that are illegal but no one pays attention to them anyway, even simple things like red lights and turning signals, maybe 1% of the population uses a signal, and maybe 50% of them run red lights all the time, every light, maybe 20% of drivers on the road have no licence or insurance, and then there is the illegal number shops which is one of the biggest businesses here. Law, what law!? I have noone to call anyway, but id like to think that if i did I could use the latest technology.

Hi guys...

I'm not sure if I'm getting closer to finding the right DVR for my house, or just getting more confused. I've got it narrowed down to the orginal Argus DVMR-8 -or- the EverFocus EDSR-900 http://www.123securityproducts.com/9cheddivire.html.

I've been told not to make my decision based on looking at the TCP/IP demos, but the EverFocus definitely looks sharper with better contrast. Is this because the EverFocus is better or is it the cameras? The DVMR-8 is a little cheaper so I'd rather go with it, but for a hundred bucks more I could get the EDSR-900.

I really need some opinions between these two DVRs from you pros who know what this is all about. How can I make a decision if the only reference I have are the online demos?

HELP!

David

stay away from the everfocus, i have a colleague who has used them as they like to push them in florida alot, they are cheap and limited.

Personally I would get the Everfocus. I've dealt with them for many years and they have had good reliable products in their line plus a long history.

The other company is a newcomer to the market and hasn't proven themselves yet in the long haul. I also think the Everfocus has more features. Another nice feature is that you can access it with any browser while the Orbix needs to have proprietary software loaded. Go with the Everfocus.

Personally I would get the Everfocus. I've dealt with them for many years and they have had good reliable products in their line plus a long history.

The other company is a newcomer to the market and hasn't proven themselves yet in the long haul. I also think the Everfocus has more features. Another nice feature is that you can access it with any browser while the Orbix needs to have proprietary software loaded. Go with the Everfocus.

As far as I could tell, you can ONLY access it through a limited browser interface, and the quality and manufacturer support is very bad, from demos and from what the people I know that have used it have told me.

But yes its been around for a while.

why choose the Argus though? Miami distributors are also pushing the Appro DVR, which Ill have one by next week to test out.

Personally I prefer a windows based GUI software, more power and control than web browsers can ever provide using activeX controls. A browser based is only useful if you are traveling. Most windows software can install just as quick as an active X can be downloaded.

I found a link to the Appro DVR, but it's about a thousand more than the other ones I'm looking at. As it is, I'll only be able to buy the DVR with no cameras at this point. But seriously, are the online demos of any value at all in the selection process? Is it the DVR or the camera that makes the most difference in quality of the image? Some of the cameras look low contrast and a bit fuzzy, others look sharper.

the Appro 4 ch DVR is **** in Miami.

Question is, are you looking for the best or the cheapest?

Best Ive used is the Kalatel DVMRe-CT, cost much more than any of those you mentioned though, but local quality of video is superior, and remote video is simple to use and good quality also.

It totally integrates into Crestron and many other devices.

The camera makes a huge difference, but for local viewing, the DVR also makes a difference, the quality of the video on the local monitor. Personally I prefer movie type quality on a local monitor, and even more, to have good simple remote video. If you are using a cheap low res camera, not even worth buying a CCTV monitor, just sell them a TV.

The actual DVR must be simple to use and not required to have any type of physical intervention by any of the employees, other than management who can completely control it via network software. The Kalatel's do this, and most others do also.

I must apologize, I'm probably not making myself very clear. The DVR's I'm looking at buying are for *my* home and I'm not in the video security business. If I've accidentally jumped into a dealer forum I really didn't mean to. I was just looking for some help comparing a couple of DVRs that I can afford. On my budget I really can't buy a top of the line unit for 5-6 cameras around the outside of my home. As it is I'll only be able to buy the DVR first and after a month or so maybe add a camera or two. So, I need to keep the initial cost of the DVR under $1000, but I want the best unit I can buy.

David

I must apologize, I'm probably not making myself very clear. The DVR's I'm looking at buying are for *my* home and I'm not in the video security business. If I've accidentally jumped into a dealer forum I really didn't mean to. I was just looking for some help comparing a couple of DVRs that I can afford. On my budget I really can't buy a top of the line unit for 5-6 cameras around the outside of my home. As it is I'll only be able to buy the DVR first and after a month or so maybe add a camera or two. So, I need to keep the initial cost of the DVR under $1000, but I want the best unit I can buy.

David

Okay, if you want, give me until next week and Ill test the Appro, if its any good, as my distributor sais it is good, Ill let you know. If you want to buy it Ill send you a link where you can buy it in Florida at dealer cost. You could buy the cameras from the same place also, at low prices, but good quality products.

Im use to higher end standalones, so the lower end has to still be good enough for a home user, as thats where I am going to sell it. If its no good, I wont sell it, thats how I work.

Rory

Hi...was looking back over some of our messages and see where someone recommended the AVTECH 4 channel DVR over the Argus because it uses Wavelet compression. First, I'm wondering if anyone has a link to an online retail dealer where I can buy an AVTECH? I've done multiple searches and can't anyone who actually sells them (other than to dealers). Secondly, is wavelet really noticebly better than the Jpeg compression of the Argus? I want good video but want to keep the cost down. I've given up the idea of spending so much money on the 8 channel Vitek and now just want a 4 channel DVR so I can buy a couple cameras to go with it.

Thanks for any advice,

David

Are you looking for remote access? If not then best bet is to go with a simple quad/dvr which should suit your needs. They don't have motion detection so record all the time but it is a very low cost way to go. I don't know who the players are in Florida to buy from but here is a link to a good site showing several different DVRs with pricing and it will give you a chance to get some more ideas.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/DigitalVideoRecorders.htm

Are you looking for remote access? If not then best bet is to go with a simple quad/dvr which should suit your needs. They don't have motion detection so record all the time but it is a very low cost way to go. I don't know who the players are in Florida to buy from but here is a link to a good site showing several different DVRs with pricing and it will give you a chance to get some more ideas.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/DigitalVideoRecorders.htm

Yes, I'd like remote access too. I'd go with the Argus in a heartbeat if I knew the quality of the video was going to be good. I can get it with 4 decent cameras for about the same price as I was going to spend for just the Vitek-8 DVR.

These Guys sell AVTech.

Wavelet looks alot better then jpeg. No compersion. This DVR does not have remote viewing , so we have been setting it up with a web server works way better but requries quite alot of tech know-how.

http://www.scdlink.com/

i just hooked up a 16 channel OEM DVR, supposed to be Appro, but no name anywhere, but, good unit, has most functions and some more features others dont. Quality is good, and though Remote Video software is very basic, it is good quality, and can search for recorded video. Removable Hard Drive with optional internal HDs, and optional rack mount SCSI hard drive storage, specific to the DVR manufacturer, up to 2 rack units.

i will post more info once i test the software some more. Its linux RTOS.

$1000 dealer price in Florida.

phochief,

How did this work out for you? We both have pretty much the same needs and I'm curious what unit you picked and how it's been working so far.