phochief

This DVR any good?

First time here....I'm looking for a good video surveillance system for my home that I can install myself *and* afford. I've been reading several messages in this forum and am pretty split between a standalone DVR and a PC card. I like the apparent ease of installing the standalone and they seem to cost a bit less. I'd rather not have to build or buy another dedicated computer for a PC card but will if it's within my budget. So wifey doesn't strangle me, I'm limited to an initial cost of around $800 (even if that means I can only buy one camera at first) If I go with a standalone 4 channel DVR, I guess there's no easy way to add more channels is there? (in case I later find out I need more) I have lots of questions, but first, can anyone tell me if this looks like a decent quality DVR?

http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5705980088&category=14957

Thanks,

David

How are they doing 10 miles of transmitting? 2.4 ghz or 900 mhz don't have the distance, and any other frequency needs a licence. I know you can punch a signal longer then that, but the FCC takes a dim view of that.

You can push 2.4 quite a bit further then that (current wi-fi record distance is 210 km) but that's something that the FCC frowns on (alot, it tends to piss of Hams and they tend to be vocal when pissed). How is the transmission rates for things like that? Are they real time capable or limited bandwith?

You would be better off getting something with a company name on it, that is a no name DVR, no idea where you would get support from, especially if buying off Ebay.

If you take a look through here you should find some links to sites that sell other stand alones, that are named and you can find the source manufacturer for it if you needed, say the company you buy from goes bankrupt.

Yes you would have to buy either more channels upfront for future expansion, or go PC based if thats an issue.

Looks neat. But the price isn't all that great "for ebay" you can get units with a warrentee and support for near that price.

Mike

That DVR is made by Argus. http://www.sys-tek.co.kr/main.htm

One of the better places to buy that one would be Intellicam, since they have good support. www.intellicam.com Couple of other places.

http://www.iscsecurity.com/VDO430.html

http://ensignsecurity.com/

The DVR is ok. We have put in 10 of them. Easy to set up. A better one would be AVTECH's 4 channel. Cheaper and better. Uses wavelat, so the recorded video looks better.

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13.htm

Fredrik

The argus one mentioned is pretty good, don't know how many of you use it in the trade, but the price im getting for a 4 channel argus like the one mentioned is cheaper than the avtech 4 channel, and its got an ethernet port, 50fps, relay and loops. The new 4 channel argus standalone has got a VGA port so you can connect a Pc TFT monitor straight, and the customer seems impressed.

Avtech DVRs are generally robust, as are their cameras, but i haven't really tried other manufacturers cameras, about to try out a few sunkwang cameras.

If you have only tried those cameras, you will be much more impressed with cameras from Phillips, GE, Ganz, etc, as they are 100% better quality video. Sanyo i have used, (quite a few different onesr) are better than provideo (same as sunkwank) but not as good as the above mentioned.

I've tested out the new Phillips cameras, the dinion range i think its called, very impressed, the picture quality is amazing, and you get a coax to USB connector to alter the picture settings of your camera through your computer, i haven't tried out ganz, i used to use the computar range cameras like 10 years ago. The problem with phillips and ganz, i find it very difficult to convince a shop owner or restaurant owner to purchase these sort of cameras, they prefer spending more on the dvr. Fred i agree with you that the picture quality is not as good as it uses jpeg compression, but i've found the system quite reliable, less problems than pc based.

As far as retail shops and small restaurants, how many of you use geovision as opposed to standalone machines such as the argus or avtech one?

Thing is if you're only buying geo for the remote view feature, then you'll be better of purchasing a standalone dvr. Most of my small shop customers only want the remote view 'phenomenon'. any thoughts?

im 'currently' sticking with standalones because i dont have time to deal with building or servicing PCs. In the future that may change, never say never, though i will always sell the more expensive industrial product 'like' kalatel DVMRe for the professional jobs.

Lot of questions about the DVMR-8 unit I might purchase for my home. Do I need the optional VGA card? I thought I might be able to just connect it to a 19" TV monitor I have in the bedroom. Would that work? Would the visual quality by so bad on a TV monitor? If so, that means I would need a regular PC monitor at the location of the DVMR for monitoring and setup?

Next question, I have a home network and DSL. If I add the DVMR to one of my router's ports will I be able to see a high-quality display of the cameras on one of my networked computers using the remote software? I would assume (correct me) that the quality would be very good since it would be through my 10/100mps router, right? Better than using the remote software through the internet.

Since it's a 60fps DVR, I would divide the number of cameras into that to get the max for each camera, correct? So, 7.5 fps if I have 8 cameras. What's the frame rate normally needed for each camera to provide reliable security?

Appreciate your advice,

David

David

Lot of questions about the DVMR-8 unit I might purchase for my home. Do I need the optional VGA card? I thought I might be able to just connect it to a 19" TV monitor I have in the bedroom. Would that work? Would the visual quality by so bad on a TV monitor? If so, that means I would need a regular PC monitor at the location of the DVMR for monitoring and setup?

Next question, I have a home network and DSL. If I add the DVMR to one of my router's ports will I be able to see a high-quality display of the cameras on one of my networked computers using the remote software? I would assume (correct me) that the quality would be very good since it would be through my 10/100mps router, right? Better than using the remote software through the internet.

Since it's a 60fps DVR, I would divide the number of cameras into that to get the max for each camera, correct? So, 7.5 fps if I have 8 cameras. What's the frame rate normally needed for each camera to provide reliable security?

Appreciate your advice,

David

David

First, who makes the DVMR-8?

AS for the TV, it depends on the make. Any TV will do for programming and set up. The quality is not as good as a CCTV monitor, but is fine for a home.

Over the network, quality is the same, the speed is faster if local.

5pps is average for CCTV. If you have motion detection just use that, then set it faster, so only the camera/s with motion will record. You can normally get real time playback if not too many cameras are picking up motion at the same time. This depends on the DVR you choose.

Rory

david, you'll only need the vga card option if you want to connect a pc monitor, the tv can be connected direct to the dvr using a scard fly lead and a phono to bnc converter

The VGA card add-on for the argus dvr's are no good. Tried a few and the video shakes. Known phenomina. Use the s-video out to your tv if you have an s-video input. Otherwise just a bnc to rca. The argus remote software is ok if it is used on the same network.

As far as retail shops and small restaurants, how many of you use geovision as opposed to standalone machines such as the argus or avtech one?

We are just putting in standalones. Don't have time to fiddle around with pc based. Everyone wants remote viewing now, put most of our customers don't want to pay for a static IP. (small shops, etc) Setting them up with a dynamic IP, 256 K upload for $27.95 with DSL extreme. WOrks great!

Darn, our DSL to get that kind of speed costs $490 a month! we have to use Cable, which is okay, around $400K upload, for $150 a month for business including TV, $90 a month for a home user. Otherwise only other option is Dynamic IP but I make sure we only use Static IPs.

How are you using a dynamic IP host with a stand alone? NOIP.com requires frequent emails and the software always running on the PC.

Darn, our DSL to get that kind of speed costs $490 a month! we have to use Cable, which is okay, around $400K upload, for $150 a month for business including TV, $90 a month for a home user. Otherwise only other option is Dynamic IP but I make sure we only use Static IPs.

How are you using a dynamic IP host with a stand alone? NOIP.com requires frequent emails and the software always running on the PC.

We have been using the bluenet video server but are know switching to the AVTECH web server. Bluenet has there own DDNS host so that is not a problem. The AVTECH doesn't have one so we have to set it up with TZO.com

Still figuring it out but the trick is to use a router with a built in DDNS Client software so you don't have to have a PC at the location. The router will send the new IP info to the DDNS host every time the IP changes.

Check out this weblink.

http://www.tzo.com/MainPageSupport/Routers.html

Also check out www.dslextreme.com for cheap and great dsl rates. Very good service.

We have been using the bluenet video server but are know switching to the AVTECH web server. Bluenet has there own DDNS host so that is not a problem. The AVTECH doesn't have one so we have to set it up with TZO.com

Still figuring it out but the trick is to use a router with a built in DDNS Client software so you don't have to have a PC at the location. The router will send the new IP info to the DDNS host every time the IP changes.

Check out this weblink.

http://www.tzo.com/MainPageSupport/Routers.html

Also check out www.dslextreme.com for cheap and great dsl rates. Very good service.

That DSL wont work over here, we have a government monoploy that runs the local telephone service, and they even have a law that we cant use VOIP now. Communist ideas are creeping into the government here.