rory

Wiring Suggestions

Hi.

This is for the experienced in large systems:

1-What type of cable do you primarily use.

2-How do you make wiring 'neat' when say inputing 16 camera cables into your mux

3-Wiring to camera - what do you use to manage/hide the cable to the camera housing

4-Do you run primarily in conduit or loose

5-If you use Cat5, do you use those Patch boxes used in networking?

6-If you use Fiber, any low priced nodes/switches links, and info for self installing/learning fiber installation?

7-any tips, tricks, product links worthwhile?

thanks

Rory

1/ RG59 up to 100 Meters, Fibre optic for anything larger that can not have an amp in line. Cable quality differs depending on copper and sheilding.

2/ I use a cable tray or Fly Leads, I once saw and amped termination box, it was very neat.

3/ I try to use housings that have a hollow channel fro running the cables through the housing itself, sometimes it is unavoidable and then I use felxible conduit, I have made some electrical junction boxs before that go out to a housing to stop any chance of tampering.

4/ Mostly loose but depends on the circumstance and whether noise or environment will be an issue.

5/ I never use CAT5 unless completely neccesary.

6/ There are many links on Fiber but I would pay someone as experience really counts on fiber, one connection done wrong can degrade perfomance but you would never find the problem, I leave it to the experts howver i plan to learn to splice cable this year some time. These guys are pretty good http://www.ifs.com.

7/ The more you pay the longer it lasts, back focusing should be learnt, get a service monitor, purchase a resolution chart, never use a cheap lens on a good camera and always use two people to focus a camera.

Hi.

This is for the experienced in large systems:

1-What type of cable do you primarily use.

2-How do you make wiring 'neat' when say inputing 16 camera cables into your mux

3-Wiring to camera - what do you use to manage/hide the cable to the camera housing

4-Do you run primarily in conduit or loose

5-If you use Cat5, do you use those Patch boxes used in networking?

6-If you use Fiber, any low priced nodes/switches links, and info for self installing/learning fiber installation?

7-any tips, tricks, product links worthwhile?

thanks

Rory

1. RG-59 siamese cable with power lead.

2. I strip the outer coating back about three feet so it's the same on all cams. I put the red and black power leads into a drill, make the line taught and then spin the two lead together for better looks. I use velcro cable wrap instead of "zip ties".

3. With the siamese cable, it usually looks pretty good using bare cable. I have use a single gang surface mounted box and then flex conduit into bottom of housing for exterior locations.

4. Depends, loose if possible

5. If you have to use cat5 use baluns. I also wouldn't recommend using a patch panel. Just another place for signal to degrade. Video is picky.

6. I use corning system for all my fiber and love it.

7. Tons of tricks and tips. Will have to think about them and start a list.

thanks, been a while since this was originally posted

what are velcro wrap good for, instead of tie straps?

And whats a corning fiber system?

Thanks

Rory

thanks, been a while since this was originally posted

what are velcro wrap good for, instead of tie straps?

And whats a corning fiber system?

Thanks

Rory

Look up corning camlock on your search engine. They are prefabbed ends. No polishing, cooking, etc, etc. I can terminate an end in less than two minutes. You'll never go back.

I like to use velcro wrap to bundle cable together instead of tie wraps. Looks better, lower profile (ie, nothing sticking out), and allows addition of other cable.

ok will check it out.

Oh yeah, I now see what you mean with the velcro, just wrap it together and easily remove it. Will need to get some of that.

Rory