Hillman

Cat 5 wiring question

Hi Folks,

Man what an information rich forum!

I am in the process of putting in a surveillance camera system. I have not decided whether I am going to go with CCTV or IP. I have done a lot of homework on IP, but the more I learn about CCTV the more I like it over IP.

I have a wiring question.

I see from reading Cat 5 cable can be used for the CCTV signal with Video Baluns. I currently have a spare direct burial Cat 5 cable to the shop where one camera will be mounted and the receiver for a second wireless will be located. Can two cameras feed a signal through the same Cat 5 cable (separate pairs of course) and not interfere with each other? The distance will be about 200 feet.

Thanks for such a great site.

the only thing you may have an issue with is Power. It's generally suggested not to run the power in the same cable, if it is a very long run (lowered current), or if it is 24VAC. In that case, power at the cameras themselves (or in the area) and if you get a ground loop, then add a ground Loop isolator.

Also, the distances that baluns claim are usually at their max and video quality could be extremly low or have other issues. Watch the distance, and if at all possible, always run RG59 where possible.

Rory

the only thing you may have an issue with is Power. It's generally suggested not to run the power in the same cable, if it is a very long run (lowered current), or if it is 24VAC. In that case, power at the cameras themselves (or in the area) and if you get a ground loop, then add a ground Loop isolator.

Also, the distances that baluns claim are usually at their max and video quality could be extremly low or have other issues. Watch the distance, and if at all possible, always run RG59 where possible.

Rory

Thank you.

All power to the cameras will be at the camera, not going through the Cat 5.

The camera at the gate will most likely be wireless (currently looking at Swann Black Knight wireless..I like its night vision but day picture are washed out).

Another reason for the Cat 5 is it is already in place except to gate where I will go wireless most likely. Technology being what it is, with Cat 5 I can swicth to IP cameras in the future if for some reason that become a better option.

Has anyone tried combining CCTV signals and ethernet traffic on the same cat 5 cable?

Ethernet only uses 4 for the eight wires, leaving 4 unused wires ( 2 pair) for possible CCTV transmission. Wonder if it would work?