kao

"decoder not found" error

I am trying to show a customer how to access their 4 remote locations and playback recorded video via Remote Playack.

I can use Multiview and connect to all 4 Geo servers just fine. But when I try to use Rem. Playback, I get the messages: "Connecting to remote server..." Then it says in red letters "decoder not found" (or something very similar to that...as I'm not onsite at the moment.)

I am thinking it may be a problem on the individuals PC as they dont have full administrative rights. The playback works on other PCs in the office, but not this one.

I tried manually installing codecs, (Rory's program was one method I used) and I still dont get playback.

Any suggestions?

Browser based active x.

I found the problem had to do with user permissions. I had the IT person log in as admin, then I installed the geo codecs without a problem.

Logged into the remote systems just fine.

Had the user log in under their account and they were able to view all the remote stations.

I am also having this issue. It does not appear to be a permissions issue as some have claimed. I have an xp machine that has the playbackx activex component installed and can view some of our locations, but not all and it gets the "Decoder not Found" error when trying to view via playbackx. It makes no sense and geovision is completely useless for help. I have tried un-installing all of the OCX's associated with geo, I unistalled all geo codecs, I even re-installed IE, nothing is working.

I am also having this issue it seems to have began sometime in January, i have 2 PC's running geovision and when i view them from a distance with remote playback only one works fine and the other says DECODER NOT FOUND, in RED?

Have any of you been seeing the "decoder not found" error after a registry clean recently? The reason I ask is we use geovision version 6.1 on all of our camera servers but run multiview 8.2 on our viewing machines. The problem seems to only occur on viewing machines that have installed version 8.2 multiview and have done a registry clean. On the affected viewing machines, we can view some locations without error, others get the "decoder not found". The only thing in common with our affected viewing machines are that they..

1. are running multiview 8.2

2. have done a recent registry clean

3. are trying to view RPB on a machine running 6.1

4. some servers can be viewed without error, others get the error

Please tell us what you are running so we can compare.

Might have removed one of the older codec files, reinstall Multiview, also download and reinstall the codecs, new and old.

Link to older codecs: Also includes some newer ones, but not 8.3+

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/software/geovision/installcodecs.asp

Also, you could try 8.32 as that version is now available and has some webcam activeX bug fixes which caused errors between older versions and 8.3. Multiview essentially uses the webcam activeX.

One thing you may want to check, actually several, is go to Program Files directory of the viewing computer and see if you have all your Remote ViewLog folders listed. Should be labeled V7100, V8100, V8200, etc (one for each system software version you're trying to view). Make sure the folders contain the programs and DLL's for the versions you're trying to view. Also go to your WININT or WINDOWS folder and ensure you have the Geo Vxxxx folders there also. If missing you'll have to redownload from the remote site.

It's been my experience with some registry cleaners that they will "clean" entries that have not been used in a while and not necessarily all of the entries. If this was the case, you'll have to delete the folders for that particular version you're having problems with and either load from the cd or the remote site again.

Thanks for the relplies, I have tried all the suggestions listed and still have the same trouble. I am starting to hear of more and more of our viewing client machines being affected with this issue and they are not running multiview 8.2. All geo software and codecs are 6.1

i found the problem, the problem is internet explorer 8, for some reason it blocks the decoder, if you try internet explorer 6, you will see it will works. Now i need to know how to get internet explorer 8 to work with remote playback?

Did you add your site to the "Trusted Sites" under IE8's Internet Options. This should stop the blocking. Remember to uncheck https.

Silly question(s) or maybe I missed it: What version Windows are you running on this PC? XP, Vista or 7? I've had instances with Vista and 7 where I add something to "Trusted Sites" select "Low" level or made changes to some of the settings, hit OK and Apply only to go back and see it defaulted back to Medium. Had to disable UAC to get the changes to stick. Funny thing is it only happened when adding that first site to "Trusted Sites".

May be worth a look.

Hi,

For older versions of Geovision, like 6.xx, if you're getting the message "Decoder not found" you have to delete the codecs for that version and install it again.

For version 6.0x - The codecs are probably in this folder: C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files - then delete files "RPBX" and "LiveX"

For higher versions - C:\Windows\v7000...v8000...v8200

Cheers

do i have to re-install rpbx6.0, or new versions of the codec? if new version, where can i get it? thanks for the reply..

i have 2 gv800 v6.0 cards running in 2 servers, remoteplayback using java does not work for both servers, it did before, but on 1 of the servers only one camera works for rpb and the rest say Decoder not found?

Ok guys,

We may have found the culprit. It seems to be a Windows Update that was released around the middle of January 2010. Try un-installing Windows Update KB955759. I have tried this and have restored playback on a couple of our machines.

your the best buddy!!!! that was it!! now how can i prevent my pc from downloading this file again?

There's a fix from micorsoft (below)that repairs the Indeo Codecs. This will repair the issue and you won't need to worry about which updates you have installed.

You can find the repair here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954157

You want to run the Microsoft fix it button under the "Use this Fix-it button to unregister the Indeo codec files automatically"

Cheers,