Is the quality really that much better for runs under 300 feet?

Seems like RG6 is available everywhere (even Best Buy carries it cheap), but RG59 seems impossible to find anywhere local.

I just want to know if it's worth the extra hassle of using 59 versus 6. Thanks.

Use RG59, its easier to bend at the Mux side, and you can buy it as Siemese cable with power cable and the coax in one. There isnt much if any difference in quality, unless for both, you use an amplifier. Cat5 with active UTP receiver will give you the best quality, next to fiber being the ultimate.

Stick with RG59U copper braid and you won't have to worry about cable runs all the way up to 1000'. It is pretty inexpensive and you can get it from a ton of distributors. I'm sure you must have several alarm and cctv distributors in your area. Pick up 1000' spools and you'll be ready for all your installations. Always use BNC connectors, don't use F connectors and then use an adapter.

Rory,

Why should UTP give better quality to RG59?

Can this be measured in a certain way?

You mentiion active instead of passive utp; is there a difference in picture quality??

I prefer using RG58 slighlty thinner than the RG59U cable. Its also more flexible because the inner core is stranded, makes it difficult to crimp sometimes though. But dont forget you can also stable it a lot easier, and its slightly cheaper

Lately, I saw some very thin coax cables, in use for demo installations.

Is this also RG59, or another RG alike?

Does anyone know which max. distance can be dealt with these cables?

they bend alot when using twist on BNC cons

just used a bunch of them on a job someone prewired with that wire.