pcpix

[b]DVR does not display any video![/b]

First I have to say that I am totally new to CCTV and such. I do computer network consulting for a small company and they wanted to set up surveillance to prevent their equipment from being stolen (or at least to identify the thieves!). They purchased a small wireless camera. The camera has RCA connections on the wireless receiver. The DVR that we are using has an 80 GB hard drive, an ethernet connection to the computer and BNC connectors for the camera. We used BNC to RCA adapters to connect everything.

The results: I can see the device through a browser on the computer. Even though it seems to be properly installed the DVR does not output a video picture, and instead displays a "NO VIDEO" image. Yet if the camera is connected to a regular security monitor it displays a video picture.

My guess is that the camera is sending a signal that the DVR can't process. The camera does not appear to be adjustable in any way as far as the signal it outputs. I don't know if the RCA to BNC conversion is affecting anything either. Am I on the right track? Should I suggest that they purchase a different camera and if so, any suggestions on an inexpensive model? I more than appreciate any help!

Well this is a good example of how just because some is in the IT department doesnt mean they can do cctv.

Just had to say that.

What I would recommend is hiringi a professional in the industry.

Chances are you wont do that.

So in that case:

Rca to bnc conncections have nothing to do with it. The problem is most likely that your dvr is looking for a video signal of 140 IRE composite. With not much of a threshold. Has to be pretty close. Well a monitor does not. It can a alot less to display something. The problem is most likely the camera is not getting enough power/to many breaks in the cable/or something else with the cabling involved.

They can afford to go for what does the job, cost secondary..... It will cost them a LOT more to lose out to thieves than it would to buy a decent system.