ayalas

cams in condo apt. using cable tv?

Hi yall,i read somewere dont remember if it was in this forum about a way to hook up a survailance system and in each apt. of the building it can be monitor using there cable tv system.In other words the residents can view the cams. on a tv channel???If anyone knows about this please post it im curios to see how that set up works.Thank you.

Hello,you can modulate a cctv signal through a single or multi imput stand alone modulator.Depending on the application you can also include audio as well if needed. You will need to go from either your DVR or VCR if you are using one, if possible loop out the signals and go from bnc to rca imput on the modulator using a adapter, depending on the cable service look for empty channels and simply add your own signal to the mix, however special note: you may need to add a low pass filter to clean up the cable tv channels or block channels so that you can introduce your own and as well keep the signal from back feeding onto the line. The modulators I have used for my installs are either from channelvision, netmedia, and holland as well channelplus all are good, if you are only looking to modulate one imput the channelVision E1200 or CVT1mini-III it is small and wall mountable and also include audio.You will also need a splitter and perhaps depending on the setup a amp to boost the incomming signal to make up for the loss of adding to the cable signal, Depending on the cable system you should split the signal as close to the headend (cable/entry) point and then add your modulated signal(s) There is lot of info and diagrams for modulating cctv into cable systems from channelvision and channelplus http://www.channelvision.com/index http://www.channelplus.com/

Hello again a quick follow up to your modulator search, ARM electronics has a complete kit (one channel) but you will need to purchase filters as I stated before and perhaps amp, these can be found from channelvision or channelplus dealers. I am sure there are several dealers on this site that could help you purchase retail. Hope this helps you. http://armelectronics.com/specs/MDLAGILE.pdf

Would i need to get some permision or something from the cable company to install this in a condo.I mean i would have to install this in there cable?

Do you have a condo association and a service contract with the cable co for flat rate to all apts? If so check agreement and see if there are restrictions tied to their entry. Either way you will have to introduce your modulated signal as close as possible to their service entry, there will be a pedestal or box. More than likely to gain access you will need their permission. Where are you located? There are differnt laws and bi-laws concerning such work in condos, although it is quite easy to do, if you dont install it correctly you could screw up reception by introducing noise into the cable. Another point to consider is the type of service you have, basic, analog or digital. I've done gated cam entry installs but most of the modulated work Ive done is in private homes, ranches rual areas. It differs where you are located either way if you are unsure contact a reputable installer and your service provider, Always work safe, remember voltage is voltage be it high or low. Although I am sure people may differ with me on this, cable TV and security monitoring circuits are covered by Article 820 of the NEC.You should check out some of the security installers that are on this forum, perhaps you can find one close to your location.