crxg

ir ? am I doing something wrong

hi everyone,

i have just installed a day/night sony Ex view HAD and it was all working fine during the day but as soon as it started to get dark and the ir's came on the camera has not changed to B/W, i now have a purple snow effect on my screen, i have the camera facing parallel with the wall of the house down to the front door, will the reflection affect the switching over of the filters,

thanks all

what type of dvr? some exview camera's, when connected to different dvr's, product a blue snow effect. I have yet to figure this out but my only answer was that the cams were not working well with the dvr becasue I could take that camera and attach it to another dvr and it was fine. pc based dvr's are effect the most. why? don'r SNOW, but, you can reduce that effect by adjusting the "blue" in video down.

one of the best features I would love to see in a dvr is that the video settings could be preset for times of the day. this would allow me to set all my cams for a perfect b&w pic at night by removing "blue" from the pic. you can do it manually but it would be nice to have that as a computer programmed feature.

sorry about the punn

I don’t know what brand of camera you have or how much you paid for it. Nevertheless, some inexpensive cameras have a CDS sensor that turns on the LED’s at night but do not switch the camera to B|W. Many inexpensive cameras do not have an adjustable AGC (auto gain control) that can compensate for low light and noise. The camera might have ELC, (electronic light compensation) where the light level and noise are electronically controlled within the camera.

I recently experimented with a $129.00 Swann camera that is designed as I described above and behaves exactly as you described yours. There are many reasons for poor picture quality as well as other things not working as expected. I would just do a lot of research. Also, learn how to read between the lines when checking DVR and camera specs. What you gain in one place, you lose in another. The list goes on! Hopefully, my comments with VST_Man's will help.

Edited by Guest

I might add that my DVR has a setting in the configuration settings for cameras. In the settings for cameras you have several choices for the camera that you are connecting to the DVR. Examples are: b/w, color, on/off. If you have settings like this be sure that they are enabled. And don't forget to click apply or the settings won't take effect. But if your getting a color image then it shouldn't effect the b/w image. Also after thinking about this, check the power requirements for the camera. The IR leds need more power when on. So if you are barely supplying enough power it could be an issue. Darn I wish I could spell better.

Edited by Guest

It could be seeing too much light from the reflection to make it switch over.

I have experienced similar with True Day Night cameras, where they would see too much IR and keep switching back and forth.

With a True Day Night camera, it has a mechanical IR cut filter, meaning when it is in color mode, it picks up no IR at all. If the light falls below the switchover level, it then removes the IR cut filter and switches to BW mode, picking up the IR. If there is too much IR, or it sees it as too "bright", it will think it is daylight and switch back to color. When in color mode, it sees nothing and so it switches back to BW. This will continue until the mechanical IR Cut Filter goes off track and needs to be fixed.

With a Color/IR camera, it is different, as in color mode there is no IR Cut filter, so it still sees some IR; hence washed out colors in the daytime . If there is too much IR or it sees it as too "bright", it will think it is still daylight and never switch over.

Now, if it is not too dark in that location, you could simply open the camera and pull the power from the IR, so it just works in color all around (may switch to a Mono mode also depending on the camera).

Also, the higher the camera the less IR range, so if it is lower down, you could move it higher up. Also perhaps place it in the corner to get rid of some of the glare, try to position the camera so it does not bounce right off the wall.

Either way, all Day Night camera positioning must be done at night.

I agree with everything you said Rory. However, he said that the camera is seeing IR, light. Therefore, the camera is turning on the LED’s at night but not changing to B|W. Unless, there are two CDS switch’s, one for the LED’s and one for B|W mode, it would lead me to believe that the camera is like the Swann I gave as an example. There is no IR cut filter and no B|W mode. Yet, it is possible that one switch would control all three functions, the LED’s, IR cut filter, and B|W mode, therefore, the problem may be exactly as you said above. Or there is something wrong with the camera.

it probably uses the CDS switch only for the IR .. and digitally removes the Chroma (or adds it to the BW) so it gets the BW effect .. a cheaper way to do it .. and not that sensitive.

I'd like to know what type of camera it is also, brand and model number (no store links please). I'd be surprised if it was actually a Sony.

Edited by Guest

Yep .. will wait to hear back from him .. an image would help also.

i guess he has the weekend off unlike us ..