Soundy

HD CCTV?

Okay, wanting to know if anyone knows of a CCTV-style video camera with actual HD output that could feed (preferably in 1080p) directly into an HDTV receiver, whether it be component, HDMI, etc. - basically something that's JUST a video camera, relatively compact, no recording.

Only option I've been able to come up with so far is ONE Sony 'handycam'-type unit with HDMI output - most HD camcorders only only seem to output standard composite/S-video for monitoring and HD is just transferred to the computer via Firewire.

Hi-res IP cameras are an outside option, but that requires a computer to get the picture onto an HDTV - sort of unwanted extra complexity and expense.

You are probably going to have to do cam>PC>display. In the CCTV world megapixel fits the bill, IP only so Cam>Ethernet>PC>Display. Firewire could also be used but not nearly as common but is on some HD TVs.

This also depends on the display, with HDCP now you are basically limited to HDMI. Since analog signals can't carry HDCP data most HDTVs will scale the video to 480p if the connection is made via component, 4:3 aspect ratios on VGA often limted to 1024x768 or something like 1366x768. Also there is only a fistful of displays that can 1:1 1920x1080 (1080p) most scale it down to something like 1366x768 (~720p). So make sure it's not a worthless endevor of 1080 for really only 720p displayed.

That's pretty much what I figured. The boss had someone asking about hooking up a surveillance cam to his HDTV - not sure what the purpose was, but like I say, all we've found that would really do it is a particular Sony cam with HDMI output.

Thanks.

Still need a camera that outputs component, which I was never able to source, and AFAIK component will only handle up to 720p. These guys INSISTED that the system use the full 1080p capabilities of their existing display.

It's moot now anyway, since we blew the whole thing off - the client was just being too difficult with constantly changing/adding features, stuck in a pre-existing mindset of what kind of equipment they wanted, etc.

I've seen that, but it's still only outputting standard NTSC/PAL video. As we've already covered, client spec was (before we blew them off) for 1080p.

Yea, forgot about the composite out. Well, it's still better (at least on paper) than most others except 3 chip designs.

Hitachi has one around $2300 and Sonys' version is around $2500

Ok, how about this (edit the "dot");

avsupply DOT com/details/ik-tf2.shtml

Still need a camera that outputs component, which I was never able to source, and AFAIK component will only handle up to 720p.

Component will do 1080i but not 1080p in its present spec.