cctv_down_under

Opinions on www.logmein.com Thomas?

Full view of the desktop as it appears on the host computer...

If you have 2 computers at home, try it out...

I dont .. plus i dont want to open my PC up to them (or anyone) ..

Just curious though, if there is no actual server and its not a direct connect, then it has to send the images (of the screen) to the logmein server first? Its now got to upload images to logme in server from the main PC first, then download images from logmein server on the user side? Could there be more of a delay in that or does it not effect it?

So essentially it is just uploading .. hence no port forwarding ..

though you have to enable the program and port in the windows firewall still?

Anyway, ill try it on a PC when i build one, for now though im not using my personal computer for either VNC or any other .. LOL ..

There is no port configuration at all... I'm using Zonealarm firewall along with a router, and there is zero configuration involved.

I have experienced no noticable delay between moving my mouse on the host screen as it appears on my local computer, and the actual movement on the screen.

Of course, this assumes hi speed internet. I've got pretty consistent 2.5-3 Mbps down, and probably about 345k up. So the real speed limitation is the upload.

I've linked up to 2 remote computers, and to my own computer from work, and I saw no lag in mouse movement.

You really should read the white paper (I posted link earlier) on all the security measures used, and how logmein functions in general. Even if someone physically broke into their servers, there's no way they could compromise anyone's computers. No login information like passwords are stored on their servers.

[edit] Let me add, that even if you set up logmein on 2 computers next to each other, the only way you can connect to the host, is if the host sends you an invitation, you then must click on the invitation link in your email in order to attach. Once you've done this, you can add that host computer to your list of possible hosts...

Programs like VNC that require explicit port forwards are less secure than this connection method. The middleman approach adopted by Logmein does not require port forwards. As I mentioned before, if there was a server, there would have to be forwards. There are no forward requirements because there is no server hosting open ports on the target machine.

actually i just read up on Ultra VNC and it has all that capabilities also

Just uses a repeater/gateway etc ... send receive . and ofcourse there isa java viewer available, or you can embed your own activeX into a webpage.

Anyway for those UVnc users interested:

http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/

http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

http://www.echogent.com/tech.htm

There is no port configuration at all... I'm using Zonealarm firewall along with a router, and there is zero configuration involved.

I have experienced no noticable delay between moving my mouse on the host screen as it appears on my local computer, and the actual movement on the screen.

Of course, this assumes hi speed internet. I've got pretty consistent 2.5-3 Mbps down, and probably about 345k up. So the real speed limitation is the upload.

I've linked up to 2 remote computers, and to my own computer from work, and I saw no lag in mouse movement.

You really should read the white paper (I posted link earlier) on all the security measures used, and how logmein functions in general. Even if someone physically broke into their servers, there's no way they could compromise anyone's computers. No login information like passwords are stored on their servers.

[edit] Let me add, that even if you set up logmein on 2 computers next to each other, the only way you can connect to the host, is if the host sends you an invitation, you then must click on the invitation link in your email in order to attach. Once you've done this, you can add that host computer to your list of possible hosts...

Read the white papers, interesting. Much like the Ultra VNC stuff I posted above .. course you still need a program installed on the host PCs. And then there are still the browser issues. But if it works for you, like i said. They did seem to go in depth with the extra security checks so thats a good thing.

Read the white papers, interesting. Much like the Ultra VNC stuff I posted above .. course you still need a program installed on the host PCs. And then there are still the browser issues. But if it works for you, like i said. They did seem to go in depth with the extra security checks so thats a good thing.

I'm glad 11 years of development led you to that conclusion... Perhaps a few more years and you'll know that the .Net Framework is more than just ASP and web based applications. I have several books I could give you.

I'm glad 11 years of development led you to that conclusion... Perhaps a few more years and you'll know that the .Net Framework is more than just ASP and web based applications. I have several books I could give you.

Thats reaching .. but anyway. Real Programmers dont need books, and i know enough about the .lame network thanks. But if you want to live in the past and limit yourself with browser based only apps, go right ahead. And for the last time, im not talking about websites.

Thats reaching .. but anyway. Real Programmers dont need books, and i know enough about the .lame network thanks. But if you want to live in the past and limit yourself with browser based only apps, go right ahead. And for the last time, im not talking about websites.

Ok. Logmein.com probably isn't a website .... Anyway, if real programmers don't need books, then how are they supposed to actually learn how to program-- not only that, but how to program correctly? The answer is, they can't. But then again someone who think browser based apps are limiting probably hasn't done much with them.

So, dis the .Net Framework all you want, but just know that nearly every benchmark shows it is faster and more scalable than any other langauge that's currently out there.

Ok. Logmein.com probably isn't a website .... Anyway, if real programmers don't need books, then how are they supposed to actually learn how to program-- not only that, but how to program correctly? The answer is, they can't. But then again someone who think browser based apps are limiting probably hasn't done much with them.

Now you are going back to a web site, we are talking about the application; the java, activeX, Plugins, etc, not the website.

Im not here to defend my vast experience with internet and browser based technology, it speaks for itself, been there done that; whether or not a person believes it is of no concern to me. And this 'someone" hasn't picked up one book on programming; trial and error, lots of time and dedication, real world experience, a true programmer is a programmer no matter what language or "framework" they code in. As to .net and websites, the browser could care less what server technology is creating the web page.

Now, keep on topic please.

Browser based are limited because of what I already mentioned in a couple previous posts - but to make it simple for the less technical among us, they are limited because of the browser itself.

I don't feel anymore clarification is necessary at this point, there are many posts before this where I have clarified my opinion on that. Please, if you want to continue this conversation, please do so with someone else at this point, as i wont be replying to this thread anymore.

Now you are going back to a web site, we are talking about the application; the java, activeX, Plugins, etc, not the website.

Im not here to defend my vast experience with internet and browser based technology, it speaks for itself, been there done that; whether or not a person believes it is of no concern to me. And this 'someone" hasn't picked up one book on programming; trial and error, lots of time and dedication, real world experience, a true programmer is a programmer no matter what language or "framework" they code in. As to .net and websites, the browser could care less what server technology is creating the web page.

Now, keep on topic please.

Browser based are limited because of what I already mentioned in a couple previous posts - but to make it simple for the less technical among us, they are limited because of the browser itself.

I don't feel anymore clarification is necessary at this point, there are many posts before this where I have clarified my opinion on that. Please, if you want to continue this conversation, please do so with someone else at this point, as i wont be replying to this thread anymore.

What exactly do you think ActiveX controls are coded in? An ActiveX stork does not deliver controls to web pages... ActiveX can be developed in VB, C#, etc. (All of which are .Net Framework languages). Nonetheless, there is no way that programming just came to you in a dream, someone or something must teach you fundamentals before you can even begin to do trial and error (which is a step you really shouldn't have to go through).

Anyhow, chances are, whomever or whatever taught you the fundamentals had knowledge or info that came from books. Not trying to stick on this topic, but if I posted your comment "Real programmers don't need books" on any developer forum, it would be torn to shreds.

I do agree that browsers are limited, but it's not because of the browsers themselves. It is because of the security issues regaurding unsigned applets and what they can do to your computer. I would hardly call that a limitation, I would call it a security measure (one that can be bypassed by the way).

Hope this helps.

Actually an ActiveX control can be programmed in other development languages besides .Net languages, and I currently develop ActiveX Controls, but i wont continue with this anymore.

I thought you were not going to reply anymore.

Rory learned programming from Google.

Books, we don't need no stinking books..

Interesting exchange...

As a follow up, I finally got a reply from logmein regarding port usage.

"Hello Marc,

The LogMeIn program does not use port 80 for anything, it uses 2002 and 443.

Thanks,

Free

LogMeIn Customer Support"

As a follow up, I finally got a reply from logmein regarding port usage.

"Hello Marc,

The LogMeIn program does not use port 80 for anything, it uses 2002 and 443.

Thanks,

Free

LogMeIn Customer Support"

Yes i realize that now, thanks. I did a complete retest.

In any event I already explained all that above, and also how UVnc can do the same thing.