rpogge

Need advice on system for SWAT training facility,

Hi,

We have a pretty neat job comming up, and am looking for some advice on hardware. We have a SWAT training facility that wants to be able to record and play back the training excercises.

The req's are:

-4 PTZ cams

-Best possible video and sound quality.

-Record 300+ hours of Video and SOUND.

-Control PTZ function from both joystick at DVR, and over network from -

web interface of DVR.

-Play back different video clips to any of the 4 classrooms simutaneously.

- No need to record in dark(I find this tough to believe for SWAT Training,

but this is what they tell me)

Budget is pretty big, so we are looking for somethign top quality without being overkill for the app.

I have never used Megapixel or IP cams for CCTV before, is this the direction I should go? What brands should I take a look at? The panasonic megapixel stuff looks cool?

Thanks for any advice

Ryan

Panasonics are always good to look at, make sure and check out GE as well.

This is more of a simple file issue, most CCTV apps will be overkill for you. You just need a little VB that allows you to enter info like ClassID and a toggle for start and stop. Another app to recursively seach the directories for files by Class, date, student... Then either playback or stream to the network.

You could however use something like Geovision for control and have a seperate app that pulls from the Geo files. Geo makes it easy as the files have the date&time in the name and the codec is installed on the server already.

Would help to know more details, environment, area coverage indoor/outdoor...exisiting structures, is this a new install or upgrade and your specific need for quality sound will impact what cam/system you employ. You may need a dedicated voice system depends on your coverage etc. Are you going to be contracted to mantain the system if so I would use a platform that you have field time with.You say that your budget is big, is the municipality holding you to a bid, or is this in proposal. The reason I ask is to save you downtime and headaches later. I am surprised you got this job already without a detail approved bid, usually in county/state/local municipal projects they audit all proposals with layouts/detail/equipment.Anyway in so far a gear is concerened, Ive had next to zero issues with Panasonic equipment, I think their PTZs are excellent and Pelco gear. The new Panasonic WV-NS202 has some impressive specs, Im waiting for one now and hope to bench it. Im sure there are techs on this forum with more IP field time who can give you advice on that specific gear, but what ever path you choose I would use a system you can stay on top of. Ive done county work before and they can really break your balls after the fact. Good Luck

Pm me....I'd like to help out. Is this Military or Civ? No fee, just fun.

I've recently started using motion control of PTZ's via wireless relay. Works very nice. When you are talking about a small town mock-up and several PTZ's running..........I can tell you that trying to have a person keep up with the action maybe hard to attain. Motion sensors pick-up the action and the PTZ's are pre-programmed to go record. No wires to run and you can move the motion sensors based on senario, ensuring that you get the proper video recorded. Training? Once the DVR is programmed to motion presets you will be able to reuse those settings quickly.....no human interaction required. Let it run/record.

I have a retired MC friend that works in a USMC Mount Facility and can contact him for any other things you may need to get up to speed quicker.

I tend to agree with VST, trying to manage a big site and keep up with fast moving action is next to impossible, what you want are sensors that will make the camera point in a direction or zoom when detecting motion alerts, thsi also allows you to wire to a Matrix device and if you use a DVR that supports its own Matrix device, you can make them speak at a high level interface, IE:

Door opens...reed switch activates, camera recieves closed circuit and spins to location, then ouputs to Matrix to show display on X monitor and allow control from Joystick, Matrix outputs to DVR to start recording at high frame rate etc etc

You fellas have some great ideas, got me curious as to the solution he will use. VST_Man just a hunch but could you ask your buddy if they use static and hand held video for their MOUT reviews perhaps in combination with hands- on operators on PTZ's. He didnt specify if it was Police (State/county) but if they are going to implement the FM 90-10 standards and patterns thats a whole lot of tactical indoor close quarter work,duckin,stairs,blackout environments, room to room intensive training. Perhaps he should visit the site and scale up a layout after seeing some military or para/mil operations on urbanized terrain. Four PTZ's really sounds unrealistic, unless its its just classroom and range review, sounds very challenging but the older I get the less I know, always open to learn. By the way I really liked that "takin my ball home home now" best of health to ya.

Hi guys,

its not police, Its not actualy SWAT I just didn't want to give away exactly what it is. Lets call it a SWAT-like tactical/anti-terror team, on a government(federal) facility. ... but you can imagine the type of training they do would be almost identical to police SWAT teams.

And yes ... you guys do have great ideas !

The motion activated stuff sounds realy cool, I am not quite sure if we are talking about actual motion 'tracking' or just using motion sensors in different areas to pan the cam to that preset location upon the event.

Either way ... sounds cool ... I just wonder how difficult this would be to implement so that it is consistent and reliable?

If the manual joystick can override it, and it doesn't cost a zillion dollars I'm definantly interested in pursuing it.

Ryan

Ok, if its a Federal facility then your gonna have to abide to GSA requirements and standards as a contractor (retrofit/or new project/construction) whatever you hang is going to have to be approved. Property deemed goverment reservation entails a lot of paper, with a trail. Our tax money at work. Keepin it friendly but are you sure this isnt a Private quasi/military type of facility, there are a few of them here in Montana. OK im done Good Luck

Ok, if its a Federal facility then your gonna have to abide to GSA requirements and standards as a contractor (retrofit/or new project/construction) whatever you hang is going to have to be approved. Property deemed goverment reservation entails a lot of paper, with a trail. Our tax money at work. Keepin it friendly but are you sure this isnt a Private quasi/military type of facility, there are a few of them here in Montana. OK im done Good Luck

amen to that! Especially the past year and a half. They have gotten REAL strict on paperwork. Apparently there was an article about how the military was buying refrigerators for $1900 when the average Joe could go buy it for 900. And there was a big uproar and so now they are a pain to deal with. Well I mean even MORE of a pain. I am assuming this is going out for R.F.Q. so dont price yourself out of it. Unless you have GSA # and are listed as a sole source/unique service provider then you dont have to worry about other bids.

But they should have already put out detailed specs on this project and so should have alot of requirements and “equal to" guidelines. Be sure to get a copy of all of this make sure you DONT ASSUME ANYTHING! Get everything in writing! Because if you dont in the end you can loose your ass. Because believe me of all people in here I know that they will expect a certain thing or functionality. And if you dont provide it, or provide paperwork that stated what you would and would not be expected to provide, you will be sorry.

Government will make walking through a door way a 25 step process with inspections for days. So expect delays. But in the end government can be a huge cash cow. You just have to learn how to deal with them and what to expect.

Good luck.