moe

Outdoor Camera Against Condo Bylaws. Need Indoor Pointed Out

Hi guys,

I think I'm going to have a problem with mounting an external camera on my condo balcony wall. It's kind of against the condo bylaws. So, with that being said, how can I make and indoor camera pointed through a patio door work best for me. What is the best camera for this application? Under $1000?

I would like to be able to zoom in over the internet. It also should have good day/night capabilities. I will mainly be using it to record on site and view and control remotely when I'm not at the condo. During those times, no light will be on inside and I shouldn't have a problem with reflection on the patio doors.

EDIT: From my other outdoor camera post...

"I need a camera for remote viewing the outside of a condo. Particularly, to monitor a boat slip that is approximately 100-120 feet away. It's a three story complex and I'm on the third floor, so the camera will be mounted high.

I would like a zoom lens to see my slip at times and would like to be able to monitor closer parts of the dock at other times. I don't need to pan and tilt, but would like to zoom remotely, if possible. There are three light posts on this 100 foot stretch of dock, but I assume I would still need some kind of night vision."

Thanks in advance.

You could actually put the cameras on the boat...

If it has shore power just install everything down there and wirelessly shoot it back to the condo. You be able to use much cheaper cameras and have much better coverage.

If it has shore power just install everything down there and wirelessly shoot it back to the condo. You be able to use much cheaper cameras and have much better coverage.

No, we typically get 1-2 foot waves back there.

However, I just thought of this and it may sound crazy but, have you ever intalled a camera on a free standing cinder block or something similar? I don't have to worry about vandals because I'm 3 stories up. This could be good.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

The issue of condo regulations and common property "modifications" comes up all the time in the home theater forums with regard to satellite dishes and antennas...

Many have successfully put dishes on their patio with a cement type base for stability. A camera weighs much less, and doesn't provide nearly the surface area to catch wind...

However, I just thought of this and it may sound crazy but, have you ever intalled a camera on a free standing cinder block or something similar? I don't have to worry about vandals because I'm 3 stories up. This could be good.

I'm the one that mentioned the underside of patio furniture in the other thread. I have done something like this before (condo>car, 13th floor).

I had envisioned an iron table, if you have a slab for a balcony you can bolt it down as well. Better then a cynder block is the old 5 gallon bucket full of concrete, just stab a pipe in it and use a pole mount for the housing. Look around your condo, somebody has already done it with a satellite dish.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

The issue of condo regulations and common property "modifications" comes up all the time in the home theater forums with regard to satellite dishes and antennas...

Many have successfully put dishes on their patio with a cement type base for stability. A camera weighs much less, and doesn't provide nearly the surface area to catch wind...

Excellent. So, I would mount a junction box on the cement type base and run conduit from the junction box to where the coax enters the condo, or is there a better way to do it?

How would I handle coax transition from the outside, in? I have a GFI outlet out there already for power, but I need to get the coax in.

Thanks.

I'm the one that mentioned the underside of patio furniture in the other thread. I have done something like this before (condo>car, 13th floor).

I had envisioned an iron table, if you have a slab for a balcony you can bolt it down as well. Better then a cynder block is the old 5 gallon bucket full of concrete, just stab a pipe in it and use a pole mount for the housing. Look around your condo, somebody has already done it with a satellite dish.

Thanks CollinR. You are right, I did read your other post, but thought you were joking around when you said, "furniture".

Now, I'm wondering if I could just use a pole mount on my railing. However, I don't think I would want the camera protruding out past the railing. If I use a pole, I can pull it into the balcony somewhat.

Nope, thats further why I said furnture. Often they don't want the camera and couldn't care less how it's mounted. If they can see it somebody will *** and parties over. So it's usually like a really crappy covert install too.

Maybe you could enclose it in something decorative that doesn't look out of place on a condo balcony...

Take a close look at other balconies, are there any items that a camera would fit in?

Put a fake flower in a pot, and hide the camera inside... etc...