berlix

Another mother board question for GV-800-8

I have read almost every post on this forum about Geo and hardware including mother boards. Even with that I am not clear on which components to get for my system as some components are not compatable with this GEO. So I am asking you guys for help.

I am going to purchase a new GV-800-8 Geo.

I have 4 cameras now and could sometime expand the number of cameras. This is for my home.

I want to order components to build the computer for the Geo card as soon as possible.

I read where you guys are speaking highly of a couple of mother boards, so mabe you can nail it down for me as to which one to get, and I will get going on it.

There seems to be a preferance for ASUS and Intel mother boards.

The ASUS P5L-MX in particular was mentioned as a real good board and would absolutely work with this GV-800-8.

If I order the ASUS P5L-MX which processor would you guys go with if you were building this for you?

Which hard drive would you use?

Is there a particular speed hard drive that works better for this application?

Would you purchase a video card? if so which one? The Geforce2 MX200 32 that Geo recommends? or would you get a different video?

Memory prefrence? Size? Type?

As soon as I get a clear idea of exactly what I need to order. I did find a P5L-MX here in Miami.

I have read and read, but just could not feel comfortable choosing the hardware for this poject by just reading, so i had to ask. I am new to this and I am excited about this new project.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

I havent used either yet, but the specs and reviews are good.

That said, Im now looking at purchasing the 965 chipset.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=332&model=1312&modelmenu=1

I should have a couple of those here next week to build.

In this case they will actually be for home PCs but that way I can test them out for Geo the same time.

The 965 version is more expensive than the 945 posted though.

The other parts .. anything from a 3.2 P4 and up, a 3.0 Dual Core and up .. etc. Ive run 8 channel GV800 on 256DDR with a 2.8 Celleron and SIS chipset, and its been running fine now for almost 2 years. Now though, there are other options besides DDR and Cellerons.

As to video, these are PCI Express boards, so has to be a PCIex16 card.

ATI seems to be the best for Geo. But NVidia has been fine with GV800.

Definately at least a 128MB card if you are going to use one (64MB will work fine also but for the price 128 is a better choice). The onboard Intel video will also work fine. If you do get an External Card, try and get one without the Hypermemory feature as it steals memory from the PC.

If you have 1Gig of ram though, should not be an issue there. Obviously if you can afford a 512 or higher version, go for it, the bigger the better But make sure to add a couple case fans and a larger Power Supply.

Hard Drives, I like Seagate, had too many problems recently with Western Digital, the Seagates are quieter also, and have Dos based Zero Zero Fill tools when required. 7200rpm SATA Drives are fine.

Use a higher quality Power Supply also, such as an Antech or Coolmax, dont go cheap on that.

For Cooling; Add case fans, as you said you are in Miami, not sure if your app will be in an AC cooled environment or not. Either way case fans are cheap now, add at least 1 on the rear for outgoing air, and if it has room, 1 on the front for inbound air. The PSU also will help. If you want to go all out, also look at Hard Drive coolers, though not really required, but in very hot environments it does help alot. Also get a round IDE cable for the CDRW or DVDRW .. this helps cut down on the congestion in the case, and aids in cooling. If you need it be quieter, look for low noise fans like Vantec. The CPU Retail fan should suffice. Its up to you if you want to spend more on a specific one, I havent lately though and its been fine. Also to keep it cooler, dont use an external video card, use the onboard. Though if you want higher quality, you may then want to go with the external board, just have to deal with a little extra heat/lack of air flow.

I prefer the micro Atx cases hence the motherboard mentioned above, as well as all the extra cooling stuff. But thats up to you. If you are going to use a Mid or Full size ATX case then pick an ATX motherboard instead.

Rory

Rory

so should I get the P5L-MX or the P5B-VM?

Do they make a micro version of the P5B-VM?

I have been reading here on the forum where many people are having trouble with their GV-800s. I am using this on my home, am I overkilling this job, and should I get a GV-650 instead? The 650 looks like a steady card.

Rick

Hi.

Well that is a Micro ATX board

Basically, that is a newer board and has support for newer CPUs and Memory as well. Being newer means its not as tested, but being Asus I feel it should be great either way. Im definitely going to try it, it cost $50 more but should be worth it.

If not concerned about the newer CPUs etc for the distant future, then the 945 version is tested.

The 800 and 650 are basically the same cards, just different speed.

For 4 cameras though the 650 is fine. Neither of them do full 120fps in 640x480 regardless, with the 650 being slightly slower. All geo's specs for speeds are done in 320x240, as with most other DVRs. Ive used the 650 8 channel recently with 6 cameras and it was fine, 4 cameras "looked" real time enough for me (before i connected the other 2 cameras). 15fps can look near enough to real time to the human eye.

Rory

Just took a look at the tested list put out by Geo.

Test computer #63 was an Asus P5B-VM. It was tested with a GV-650s V1.31

On the note section it states "combo card driver V1544 os freeze. What does that mean? Is that a problem that can not be overcome? It was tested in PAL

I can email you this latest list if you wish, I am new and cant post urls yet.

I got this list late last mabe wed or thursday. If you email me at rick@ncogni.to I will shoot it back to you.

I wouldnt worry too much about the tested list though, when i meant tested I meant its been out for a while and used in other applications .. lots of reviews on it, as opposed to the 965. Also the list is rather old now, considering they have had bios updates to those Mobos since then probably also.

No idea on the message, but you wont have a combo card so no worries

I got this list late last mabe wed or thursday. If you email me at rick@ncogni.to I will shoot it back to you.

Is it different than whats on the forum already?

thanks

Rory

good deal, I am going to go to tiger direct tomorrow right after rush hour and pick up

1)Asus P5B-VL mother board

1) Intel Pentium D 915 2.8Ghz DT 800FSB Socket 775 CPU

2 x 512 OCZ 2667 1024VDC-K memory

along with a hard drive, and power supply.

I will have to sleep on which GV to get. Either 650 or 800.

Thank you for your help.

Is it different than whats on the forum already?

thanks

Rory

The only difference is the wording of the note section of test computer 62 and 63.

I dont know about the OCZ memory though, never used it, I typically use Corsair or Kingston .. but it should be fine ..

Also for a couple more $$ you might want to look at the 3.0 Dual Core ..

But really depends what Tiger has in stock also ..