lightbulb

AVTECH 760 can only access over LAN not over WAN

I recently purchased the AVTECH 760 DVR and I am having trouble setting it up so that I can log in to it over the internet. I installed the AP software and set up a static IP address of 192.168.1.253. The default gateway was set to my router address 192.168.1.1 and the mask was set to 255.255.255.0. This is identical setup information for the other computers on my LAN obtained from running ipconfig. I changed the port number to 8778. I then set up port forwarding on my router for all traffic on that port to go to that internal port on the computer with IP 192.168.1.253.

The problem is that although I am able to connect to the DVR using a browser through my LAN by typing 192.168.1.253:8778, I cannot connect to it from the internet WAN. I first obtain the external IP address of the router by going to whatismyip.com, I type that in a browser on a different network along with the port number (for example 86.175.231.12:8778) and it doesn’t get served with the correct page (or any page for that matter).

I know I have set up port forwarding correctly as I have a HTTP server running on a different computer on the same network and I can access that just fine. I have tried removing the port forwarding for the HTTP server to see if there was a clash of some sort. I have tried setting up the DVR port forwarding for UDP only, TCP only, both TCP and UDP, nothing seem to work. I have set up a DMZ host with the IP address 192.168.1.253 and even tried removing all port forwarding and just left the DMZ host set up. I have tried varying the ports and have even varied the static IP address’s I assign to the DVR to ones that can be dynamically assigned by the router and ones that are outside the range of the dynamically assignable IP’s whilst still on the same subnet.

I have used telnet to access the DVR within the LAN (telnet 192.168.1.253 8778), when I did this I was served with the correct HTML page. When I PING the DVR it works fine too.

The most interesting part of this is that I can access the file called css.css on the DVR server over the WAN by tagging that file name on the end of the URL (86.175.231.12:8778/css.css). This suggests I can contact the server and get it to serve me a page, just not the page I want. For some reason it won’t serve the index page over the internet.

I am now at my wits end as I believe I have tried everything and hope someone can tell me what I’m missing.

Thanks in advance!

sound frustrating... a couple of bonehead things which you probably checked already, but... did you check to make sure the DVR is set to DHCP?

Also make sure that the PC you used to check the DVR doesn't have like Mcafee blocking the port, I know I nearly pulled out all my hair trying to get a damn PC to find my Avtech 760, and then realised that Mcafee blocked the port on their stupid firewall. Then again, you probably wouldn't be able to telnet into the thing...

Try starting from scratch, depower the DVR, reset the network settings, reset the router settings, and try again.

Good luck.

What's the router brand and model #?

What's the maximum # of IPs set to in the router? It should be disabled since you've set DHCP disabled in the router but I've seen strange instances of leaving a default low # in there, then disabling the DHCP and when trying to use a high IP it wouldn't work because for some reason the router still retained that low # of IPs. I'd lower the DVR's IP to around x.x.x.100 and see if that helps. Also, ensure NAT is enabled in the router.

Also, I doubt you could ping the DVR over the Internet thru your router. Are you using a ddns? Are you using network security or PC antivirus softwares?

If all this fails then reset the router and try again.

any anti-virus software or firewall running on the remote PC?

Check the status page on your router. If you see a private IP (i.e. 192.168.1.47) taking space of external IP on your router, then you probably need to create another port forwarding on you modem. Verizon's modem sometimes is also running as a router.

Or, give a try to reboot your router. home-use router sometimes need to restart to be waked up.

I forgot to mention... check your router's firmware. Ensure it is the latest. Sometimes you'd be surprised at how old your "new" router's firmware is. It's worth checking into.

I have same dvr without problems

but I only have dvr to get access from internet in port 80. In router I have DMZ to local IP address of DVR and DVR with DHCP.

Regards

Thank you for all your replies.

The router I am using is a BT Voyager 2110. It is set to DHCP and NAT is on. I have used a multitude of different port numbers and IP's. The strange thing is that I can pull the CSS file from the server which suggests to me that the router is routing and the server is serving, albeit not the page I want.

I have used Mozilla and latest IE to view remotely, and also asked friends at different IP's to try, all with no luck.

I disabled Norton Anti Virus and the firewall with the same amount of luck, the page just hangs.

To clarify my previous post I need to point out that when I pinged and used telnet to access the DVR it was locally and not through the internet, I realise now this fact is irrelevant when the issue concerns the WAN.

I have the Analyzer program on my computer and observed the TCP packets from a remote location. The browser does communicate with the DVR up to a point, however as previously specified the index page is never served.

I will now go and update the firmware of my router and someone has promised to lend me their router so I can see if it's a router problem, DVR problem or a "I can't set this up properly" problem. As I am sure that the problem is likely to be the latter I ask if anyone else has any further suggestions to please post. All and any suggestions are welcome and all will be tried.

Thanks again in advance.

Hi, we have been selling AVTECH DVR's for a long time and had very little problems.

Firstly, We have experienced similar problems as yours using older Netgear routers. We prefer Linksys and D-Link as they have always worked.

OK, lets look at this....

1) set the dvr to dhcp or static, it doesnt matter,

2) you can leave the IP address as it is or change as required

3) Make sure the gateway address is that of the router

4) On the router, set the port forwarding / virtual server to point the port to the DVR's IP address

5) Thats it really... the problems you face could be for the following reasons

a) the router is having problems, try or borrow another one to make sure

b) make sure windows firewall is off and check the security settings in Internet Explorer.

c) make sure you have java installed on your PC

hope this helps

1) set the dvr to dhcp or static, it doesnt matter,

It does matter. It should match what the router is set for.

c) make sure you have java installed on your PC

Java isn't required for the remote program, however it is for the browser. I think the OP definitely needs to get another router in there to test, even though he's able to d/l a file from the dvr. Interesting.

Thanks again for all the extra advice.

I have purchased a Linksys router today and it should arrive tomorrow for me to test with. Hopefully it has been a router related problem all along, this way I can replace all the hair i've pulled out recently in pure frustration.

I forgot to add that I can access the images using the AP program from a remote location, it is purely a browser access problem. Java is installed and it works fine on the LAN using the browser.

When the router arrives I will follow your advise and let you know if it worked.

Thanks again everyone, I am really sincerely grateful for the helpful and informative replies I have received.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I bought a router without a modem so I had to buy yet another router. However, now the problem is solved. It was a router problem all along!

I have downloaded the Java Applet that interfaces with the AVTECH DVR and I decompiled it. I am currently in the process of re-commenting the code for the applet. I want to be in control of interfacing with the DVR as some people can still not see my DVR and I need to know what's going on under the hood, plus I want to extend its functionality. As a Thank You to this forum if anyone would like the new code for this DVR after I have written it please contact me and i'll get it to you when it's finished. I think this code will be particularly useful to those frustrated by the fact you can only use the FTP facility when the alarm goes off, and you can only send a few images. With the source code we can FTP the images constantly if we want to, and thus ensure all browsers can view the images. Obviously there are many more extentions we can add with access to this source code.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for all your help. I bought a router without a modem so I had to buy yet another router. However, now the problem is solved. It was a router problem all along!

I have downloaded the Java Applet that interfaces with the AVTECH DVR and I decompiled it. I am currently in the process of re-commenting the code for the applet. I want to be in control of interfacing with the DVR as some people can still not see my DVR and I need to know what's going on under the hood, plus I want to extend its functionality. As a Thank You to this forum if anyone would like the new code for this DVR after I have written it please contact me and i'll get it to you when it's finished. I think this code will be particularly useful to those frustrated by the fact you can only use the FTP facility when the alarm goes off, and you can only send a few images. With the source code we can FTP the images constantly if we want to, and thus ensure all browsers can view the images. Obviously there are many more extentions we can add with access to this source code.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Lightbulb: How far did u get in decompiling the code? Can you please email me the source code, as I am currently also in the process of tweaking avtech dvrs. I'm new here and can't send u a PM or post my email address. This sux. Please email to avus95 at yahoo . com. Much appreciated. Thanks.