CraigVM62

accessory needed for PTZ with GV1120-8

I have a customer who is building his own PC Based DVR using a GV 1120-8

I am going to try my first attempt at hooking up a basic PTZ camera. From Geovisions website it sounds like an accessory is needed for this card to control a PTZ camera. Am I correct that I need their RS-2321 to RS-485 Converter card ?

Thanks

Yes you will probably need an RS232 to RS485 converter, it doesn't have to be Geovision but there is really no reason to use a competitior's.

The GVNETIO has the RS232>RS485 plus a couple few IO ports for whatever you might want. It fits into an expansion slot in the case but DOES NOT require a PCI slot available. It does require an RS232 (Serial) port, there is also the USB>Serial adapters if you must.

I think I would only need their GV-NET Card. We would not need the additional inputs and relay outputs the VG-NET / IO Card Offers.

After looking over the images and discription of the GV-NET card from Geovisions website, I now see what you mean about it not using a PCI Slot.

It looks like you simply come out of the DB9 serial port of the PC and into the card with a RJ-11 / DB9 Cable adapter. The card does utilize a power input from the PC's Power Supply which makes me wonder if this is required vs using a generic adapter that is non powered. The generic adapters are about 1/5th the price of Geovisions option.

10-09.jpg

I'm not cool with something like that hanging off the back of the DVR so if you use one I suggest putting a cable between it and the DVR. Part of the reason I much prefer the internal Geo options. Also I use the IO! You can do tons of cool stuff with it.