draas1

No Signal To Television

Please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but I could not find any relevant info.

I just purchased a camera and DVR. I intended to use an old 19 inch television to occasionally view the contents of the recordings.

The problem is that *none* of my televisions will show the signal from the camera or the DVR. I'm sure I've done something stupid, but none of my documentation or any materials on the web have clued me in.

The camera has a female BNC output line. My TVs only have coaxial input. I purchased from Radio Shack a male/male 6 foot BNC wire along with a female BNC-to-male coax adapter.

Is there something special I have to do to make this work, or do I just have malfunctioning equipment???

The camera: Provideo CVC-627 Day/Night Color Bullet Camera with IR LED's Weatherproof Design

Thanks!

yes..the cocial input on the tv is for a modulated singnal. you need to modulate the camera signal or get a different tv with a input. I'd put my money in a new tv......modulating is old school unless needeed for a specific requirement.

Thanks VST_Man!

I knew that there was something obvious that was the problem. I'm also sure that this is a core idea to understanding how these systems work, but I still wish that the documentation that came with the camera would have mentioned this, even if just one line: Note: Hey dummy, this signal is not modulated, so get an appropriate monitor or a modulator.

I don't need a quality signal, just something that lets me view the recordings quicly and easily as I need to. It sounds like a cheap modulator is an easy approach to try so that I can see if it is good enough.

I will figure out which cat is peeing on my clothes!!!

Thanks again!

You can also use a video in on a cheap VCR to get you modulated if you must. At least then you still have a VCR.

in this business there are a lot of unknown things. to mention a few;

- dips switches are not labeled or mention in the documentation and when I call tech support they act like I'm the first one to notice the above problem. Then they need time to figure it out themselves. Bad sign.

- documentation is always out of focus. even the american manufactured have this problem.

- sales phone lines are always answered, but tech support will call you back..wanna bet?

- if the industry standard is BNC, why RCA?

- some camera's come with power supplies and some don't? I've got a cabinet full of them now.

- all mounting screws that come with camera's are cheap......toss them in the trash and get stainless.

- always ask for an advance replacement, pay for it if you have to, OTHERWISE you will get the same camera back

- sometimes tossing it in the trash is cheaper than returning it

- camera's that fog up have a leak...period! Return it, or toss it

- ISC West & East sell your information to marketing firms....my phone rings off the hook with sales pitches for the upcoming conference. Gets old after 8 at night. Maybe I'll call them and complain.

- complaining don't work. Knowledge and beer can solve most complaints.

- I knew Brett Farve was coming back this year!

the list goes on. Good luck and happy CCTV