mick53

Camera suggestions pls/Tired of "no-name" game

Hi,

I'm searching for a decent outdoor IR camera. It seems to me that I am finding a lot of very similar, if not identical cameras.

Some have "brand" names others have no name whatsoever, but they sure look the same and the specs seem identical.

What gives with this stuff? If some of the "no-names" are identical to the name brands, why don't the no-name sellers just say, "This comes from the same factory and is identical to the "NAME CAMERA?"

Can anyone suggest a good outdoor IR camera for $100-$150 max? I don't care if it's made in the USA or put together by blind monks in Tibet. Don't care if it has a name or not, just want a little quality.

The set up is as simple as can be. The camera will be set up outside my front door (under an overhang).

The monitor will be inside the front door on a table. There will be no more than 6-8ft separating the two.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, the truth is, no high quality name brand makes OR sells a camera like that. The IR bullets are ALL OEMs made in Asia. Other companies simply stick their names on them. An example of a High quality IR camera would be starting price of around $1500+ retail .. eg. Extreme CCTV (EX versions).

Everything else is basically budget, lower quality.

Also, equipment from China are typically much lower quality, and these are found alot with DIY gear sold in stores such as Sams Club, etc.

Even so, in the OEM IR Camera area, you would need to spend $350+ for a moderately decent Day/Night IR camera (with a mechanical IR Cut Filter). Even that does not compare to a professional box camera with separate Infrared. See the Sticky on Day Night threads for more info on that.

Cameras in the $100-150 retail price range with IR would be basic budget cameras, they will work, but don't expect much if any Infrared distance beyond 10-15' if you are lucky. Also their light handling capabilities are very limited. They will typically not have an IR Cut filter, to keep the cost down, and hence the colors are washed out in the day time.

Anyway, you would probably want to take a look at KT&C or Nuvico. They rebadge OEM cameras with their name on them, but they are typically a better selection. Actually in the case of KT&C i believe they are the manufacturers in Asia, never used them so cant comment, but they are a little less than Nuvico. There are ofcourse a million other names floating around, and unlimited variations of Asian Manufacturers out there doing OEM gear for Western Companies.

Reason alot of them look the same is that they normally are based off the same engineering design. Some add their own little changes into the mixture such as housing, etc. Ofcourse the different versions would start at CMOS with Infrared, goto Sharp and then Sony CCDs, and go up in price from there. There are also many variations of Sony CCDs even if they are the same type (eg. Exview), and price denotes features and capabilities.

Simply, "you get what you pay for" is an understatement in this industry.

There are many unscrupulous online stores out there advertising Sony Cameras falsely, while the cameras they sell only have Sony CCDs, and are the cheapest chips in most cases, built by OEM manufacturers (not Sony). Also many of them jump into the resale of CCTV equipment with little to no knowledge or experience in the industry. So buyer beware is also very true when searching to purchase CCTV gear.

Follow the links in that sticky though, should give even more detailed information, comments, questions, ideas.

Rory

PS. just for a note, quality level of Asian Manufactured CCTV products from highest to lowest: (note that most Western companies also have manufacturing plants scattered across Asia)

1-Japan

2-Korea

3-Taiwan

4-China

Rory,

Just want to thank you for sharing of your knowledge.

I don't need to read license plates down the block with this set-up. I just need to see who's ringing the bell without sticking my face against the door so I can see out some crappy peephole.

sooner or later. I'll come up with an adequate system and post a picture of a day and night image.

thanks again,

mike

No prob .. well all the cameras in that price range will be around the same image, only typical difference will be the amount of IR and the lens. Make sure it is a CCD. Get at least a 4mm lens, get a 1/3" if you can afford it (eg. 1/3" 4mm would be wider than a 1/4" 4mm).

The reason they all look the same is because most of them are, the truth is that there are actaully VERY few manufactorers of CCTV Cameras and in fact this company alone manufactures for thousands of OEM suppliers.

http://www.koreacctv.com/

As for your scenario, you probably wont be happy until you go for a high quality dome camera or more likely a full body camera, unless you can set up motion lights....they are pretty chep and easy to set up and then your cam has all the light it needs!

I just need to see who's ringing the bell without sticking my face against the door so I can see out some crappy peephole.

Use a BW bullet and seperate IR, don't go IR on the camera.

I just need to see who's ringing the bell without sticking my face against the door so I can see out some crappy peephole.

Use a BW bullet and seperate IR, don't go IR on the camera.

If I was looking for a simple cost effective solution for a door entry cam that's what I'd do.

For something better choose one of the other solutions but forget about IR

Another thing that makes a difference in cameras is the digital signal

processor (DSP) inside.

The Sony HQ1 DSP for example has three levels of access to features.

The top level is reserved for cameras coming out of Japan

the next level down is for Korea and Taiwan

and the Lowest level is for china.

Now check Rory's list.

also, if you do have a light, or motion light, you can simply get one of those cheap color bullets also, the basic OEM 380TVL ones, they come with a fixed IR Cut filter (so no washed out colors), and are sold under multitudes of different brand names across the globe. They do need alot of light though. And like any budget camera their light handling capabilities arent that great. Otherwise the image can be really great at such a low price tag ..

Here they are in action:

along with a BW bullet also as that area is dark

http://bahamassecurity.com/video/day_quad.Avi

http://bahamassecurity.com/video/night_quad.Avi

Here is a simple color and BW comparison:

top left= budget color bullet, top right=high res color dome, bottom left=BW exview bullet, bottom right=BW bullet

all1.jpg

all4.jpg

MAAAAAAAAN! How many times have I seen them images LOL

dey all ova the web now

Ps. them cheap cameras only last a year .. why i dont have any "new" images LOLL ...

He doesn't post new images because then you would see the Escalade in the driveway

He doesn't post new images because then you would see the Escalade in the driveway

nah .. you'd see the pink bicycle ..

Greggy your back form the dead son?? whats the go man

back in security or what?

cheers

Jus someone I know who posted in this thread, he was inactive for a fair bit, ignores emails and that (maybe changed isp)???

anyways itd be good to catch up im in indooroopilly 26-28th March

pm, email or message me back

cheers