mick53

$22 wireless cam + $40 monitor = acceptable

Hi guys,

My cheapo used monitor and cheap wireless camera came today.

I hooked them up after work and asked my wife to take a pic of me standing at the front door. It was dusk, around 7:15 PM in central florida.

Wish I could post the pic but I don't meet the 10 post/10 day requirement.

I think the pic would surpise you. I'm waiting until dark to see how the IR works.

If a moderator feels like letting me post the pic, I'd be happy to.

the camera is outside on a windowsill. ran the single wire under the screen inside. big plant in front of window that obscures the camera but not the lens.

oh yeah. it has audio too. mic is pretty sensitive. cam is about 6ft from door. conversational speaking voice is picked up well and sound is very clear and comes right through the monitor, no static.

PS. it's full dark now and the IR works like a champ!

i can only imagine what a good quality camera would look like. i'm tempted.

Mike

Hmm... Usually cheap and wireless are not a good combination. Where did you pick this camera up from? How did you like the IR night vision? Do you notice any lines scrolling in the picture from the wireless?

hi,

i'll post a day pic and an IR/night pic after my "10-day make sure he's not a spammer" period is over. i'm very satisfied.

the $40 monitor is a JVC TM-A13SU, used, made in the year 2000 from ebay. there hasn't been any scrolling. picture is good.

the camera was an ebay job too. i needed one that would transmit a mere 6-8ft. this one does and does it well.

if you do an ebay search for "Wireless WaterProof 30LED Infrared Security Spy Camera" just as it's typed here, you will find it. if it lasts a year or more, it was a good deal.

mike

Congrats on a successful wireless install, sounds like it is working great. That camera looks like a Taiwan OEM, I've sold quite a few of them and have been pretty impressed. Much better than the OEM stuff you can buy in the states.

You'll get good video for awhile, but there are a few downsides. The camera tends to get pretty warm, and when it gets warm, the video starts to get worse, but still acceptable. The other issue is the consumer non-encrypted frequency. Anybody in the neighborhood within a 500ft range can pick up the signal and view the video, now with it being on your front door there is no worry, just don't start using the camera inside the home due to privacy issues.

Glad to see your happy, most people want wireless applications for ease of install or lack of experience in the install department. Your application was really ideal for a budget DIY wireless setup.

Post some pics already!

securitymonster,

i'd love to post a couple of pics to show the results.

but unless a mod. or admin. could see his way clear to give me a waiver in the 10 day member requirement, i'll have to wait a while longer.

how about it, mods/admins?i promise not to abuse the privilege.

by the way, securitymonster, thanks for being happy for me in that i got away with a minimal investment.

mike

videobruce,

i'd love to post a day pic and a nght/IR pic for you to see.

do you know a friendly moderator?

if so ask him to allow me to post 2 pics of how this is working. i guess i need 10 posts and 10 days in this forum to "qualify" to post pics.

i tried to and got a message stating this is forum policy.

mike

Send thomas a PM, he maybe able to do it for you.

Im off the island in a few minutes otherwise I would say PM me ..

You can still PM me though and Ill check it when Im away .. cant say when that will be though .. back in 7 days. If you get right back to me within the next hour, I can do something, otherwise im packing my pC up for safe keeping ..

hey,

i posted some pics in a new thread (come to think of it, i should have posted them here - too late now).

mike