hi,

Does anyone know what is the best way to mount a camera onto a tree with a trunk about 5 meters in diameter?

I have thought about using screws but will this kill it??

The tree is about 30 years old and about 30 meters high.

Thanks

44210.jpg

This is called the Gorilla Camera Arm and saw it at Bass Pro Shops....used for hunting....don't know how long the rachetting strap is, but imagine you could add a piece depending on tree size.

2" stainless steel screws will work and won't harm the tree. coat the screws with an antifungal compound when you install them (drill pilot holes first) and don't install too close to a branch junction.

5 metres in diameter in 30 years is some growth rate.

Just remember to leave some room for growth or the bark will soon engulf your camera.

5 Meters in diameter, that is a big tree ( would that be 16 feet here in the USA?). Never seen that big of a tree outside of California. I guess if the Maple trees can stand being tapped into each year, a few Stainless screws shouldn't hurt that tree at all. Never seen a Maple Syrup tree in process , though.

Hi all- thanks so much for the replies- how embarassing that I said the diameter was 5 metres- I actually meant the tree circumference. My apologies- I have also never seen such a gigantic tree. Thanks again!

Hey, I'm really disappointed now.

I love big trees.

Ever seen the pictures of that one they cut a tunnel through for a road rather than go round it - think it was something like 30 feet diameter.

That tree is in California, seen it. The "Old Growth" Redwoods here are larger than that. A friend of mines' grandfather, has a 12 inch "slice" from a Redwood, which measures over 20 feet DIAMETER, at his ranch. His grandfather has marked the Historical dates on it; "Columbus lands", "George Washington is President", etc. Each 100 hundred years are marked on the rings of the tree slice. You need to come to California on vacation, and go see Sequoia National Park or Redwood National Park.

Come to California. George Bush hardly comes here. Our state is Governed by the only man to survive, in the movie Predator. There were 2 governors in that movie (future), but only 1 survived. Everyone knows who the governor of California is. Guns? that is part of our "2nd amendment" as we call it. In fact, it was your (English) King that caused it to be written into law on this continent. (Just a little History lesson here, sorry to get off subject.)

That is why I put the "English" in. George wasn't King over all UK at the time. We couldn't use your Claymores to hunt our Wild Boar. We had a man named Jim Bowie ( no relation to your David) who invented the perfect hunting/fighting knife anyway. We have to be pretty quick when the Wild Boar charge us. That's where another man named Colt invented the perfect quick draw weapon. You see it on TV all the time. Ever see John Wayne use a Claymore?

No, Mel Gibson used a Claymore in Braveheart. If you have any "Scottish" friends, ask them what a Claymore is . John Wayne carried an M-16 A1 in The Green Berets.