videobruce

Standalone vs PC?

Pros & cons for PC based systems vs standalong other than; conveinance of a standalone (easier to operate) vs the flexibility of a PC (upgrading).

PTZ control; is a PC better or can a DVR do the same?

Cost difference; I've seen capture cards from $100 to over $1500 (plus cost of the PC) and DVR's from $500 to over $6,000

hi,bruce, the flexibility of pc dvr is better than embedded dvr,and pc dvr is more easy to extend function,and the upgrading of pc is easier than embedded dvr.and the cost performance of pc is better than embedded.

but the stability of embedded dvr is better than PC dvr.

Grace feng

"Embedded DVR" meaning 'Standalone', correct? I do understand the flexibility and upgradeablity part of a computer.

I should of qualified the question with the application;

Systems of 4 to 8 cameras, most of them fixed and outdoors. Possibility of a PTZ dome. One person would operate the system (no multiple operators or users). Cost is a major issue, but not at the expense of image quality.

As much as I know my way around computers, I don't like them for tasks as these since I perfer a dedicated box that's easier to operate. NO booting up or crashing issues. Also todays PCs' are power hogs even at idle. I haven't measured the power comsumption of a DVR.

I did come across a 2 1/2 year old thread on the same question in this forum, but figured that was then and things have changed since then.

1. Analog cameras into a PC,

2. IP cameras into a PC,

3. Analog cameras into a DVR,

4. IP cameras into a NVR.

As far as internet access to the cameras what/where is the difference (other than not being able to work with choice 3)?