Squintz

Arm Electronics - C540BCVFIR?

I am looking in the arm electronics dealers catalog and I found a camera whos specs seem better to me but I am not sure.

C540BCVFIR - Color Varifocal IR Bullet Camera

Type: Day/Night

Power: 12vDC

LENS: 4-9mm Auto Iris Lens

Image Pickup Device: 1/3" Color CCD

Resolution 540 TV Lines

Scanning System: 2:1 Interlace

Gamma: 0.45

IR Range: 50ft

Does higher resolution mean a sharper image?

Attached are images from my existing Hawk-145IRCB/8. Notice that you can not even make out a persons face during the day and at night the license plate on my car is totally washed out. Faces at night are also washed out. I was thinking about sending this cam back and getting something better but I am not sure if higher resolution means that I will be able to make out faces.

HAWK_camera_Screenshot_dawn.jpg.ef6b17f39390bdfedc5e491c2e47a8c3.jpg

HAWK_camera_Screenshot.jpg.219dc216247f3da978c1e0621ba70548.jpg

The ARM camera will not be any better, save your money and buy name brand..........Panasonic, Ganz, Bosch, Extreme, etc. Otherwise you will be experiencing similar problems.

Okay, thanks for the tip. Are there any name brand units that you think would work in this situation? The cam will be only 25-30' from the targeted cars.

I'm not a professional, just a home user.

I faced this issues and dealt with it in two ways:

1) Understand that you can have the best quality camera in the work, but that quality must be matched with approriate wiring and a good quality recording. ie, if your DVR is set to 'Good' recoding instead of 'Best' (or whatever your DVR calls it) then the higher quality image from the camera will be wasted.

2) I also replaced a single camera that was 30' from the door I was aiming at, with two cameras - one provide a wider 'overall' view' and one providing a closer 'identification' view.

62141_3.jpg

(The camera was moved slightly soon atfer that pic so that the porch light was not in shot - it was blinding the camera at night)

It meant using two channels instead of one - but having two cameras worked much more effectively than a single 'compromise' camera.

BTW: With the camera being so close to the door there is a risk of tampering. I make sure there were no connections visible, and the wiring is all in hard plastic conduit, except for the last 8" going to the camera. Also, there is a second camera at the other end of the porch, and the two images overlap so you can't approach and disable either without being filmed by the other. My other cameras are out of reach without a ladder.