Agent_Jay23

Where do you buy CCTV Products?

Currently I'm trying Northern Video System which is in California and Silmar, their in Florida.Anyone one know any good CCTV Distributors in Florida?BTW...I've never tried any of the Distributors above but if I dont find any other Distributors I'll be forced to cause I dont know any where else.Who do you guys use?Especially you rory!Your in the Bahamas like me.

I dont buy from Silmar, long story.

Anyway, Northern Video is great, but really they are too far away for us.

I wish they would setup down in Florida or even one of the States near there .. maybe one day .. but then they would be called Southern Video ..

Ive actually been buying from one of the forum's Advertisers, they are located up in NY but it takes no time for them to get to my freight forwarder in Florida, who then ships down here. Plus I lived in their town for a couple years so I know where to find them .. (just kidding guys LOL) .. but yeah I need to take a trip up there soon just to say hi, as its not far. They sell the products I need, they do sell Retail but also have decent Distributor pricing, and unlike most of the distributors in South Florida that i dealt with over the years, they reply to email straight away. Oh yeah they speak English also

Bottom line, Florida, especially South Florida, is very limited in its selection of decent CCTV Distributors. I really do wish someone could prove me wrong, but thats just the way it has been over the years.

I purchase all of my products from Security Cameras Direct and from EclipseCCTV.

I like using Eclipse because it is a one or two days shipping. It is really nice to get stuff in quick! Yes I have had some problems but no big deal really. They once did not have the item that I needed in stock. I also once needed to order an entry level DVR and an entry level PTZs. The DVR had issues with controlling the ptz. In turbo mode it worked great but with wide swings I could not set a preset. Out of turbo mode it would tilt up and down and zoom, but it would not work left and right. They sent me a 2nd unit out right away (great service) but the 2nd unit had the same problem. It turns out the problem could be fixed with a firmware update possibly. This is the first time I ever used this particular DVR. It is really great for entry level product! Mpeg 4 looks good, over the internet it looks good, and you can use IE to look in also! I have been using this DVR alot lately (for non PTZ uses). My solution ended up paying more for another model, but the mark up was good and I had no problems and the customer was happy.

Everytime I have ever had to talk to tech support I can tell they understand what I am talking about. They are not reading some tech support advice off of a computer monitor. Yes in some cases out in the field I have needed to contact them and had to wait till they called back.

The prices are really good that I am aware of. I am really glad they do not charge $600.00 for a 500 GB hard drive like another company!

I do alot of custom up jobs and so I never order cookie cutter "kits". I order everything a la carte.

I do about 20 installs a month and most of the residential orders are entry level pricing. I cannot compare this company to commercial grade product distributors, but I am happy where I am.

They also carry strikes, maglocks, and related equipment. If they carried burglar alarm products I would be very happy!

If you could try every company out there over time I am sure they will all disapoint you one way or another. Some companies are really bad and some appeared bad at the time and have regained my trust over time.

I stand by Eclipse and they have my vote. Have your business tax ID ready before you call. PM if you need the phone number.

I saw in your profile where you have used a nubix 8 and you had issues with the DVR. I mostly use the comet 4, the comet 9, and the comet 16.

I recently started using the nubix 4 LT.

The comet 4 is a really low budget entry level DVR, but I love the comet 9, 16, and the nubix 4 LT. Through another distributor I have ordered the comet 9, and 16 under another part number but the other company has the network version of these DVRs. With Eclipse you can order the Orbix series, which I have never ordered, but will some day to test them out.

I do have a 3 year old orbix 8 that is rock solid and still running. It is no longer with the line up but if I see this on ebay I would buy it for the right price. This is one of my in store demo models.

I dont have much experience with nubix8. I am really sorry to hear about your problems. I know how you feel! I always want to order a product and test it before I sell it. These days I can afford to do this, but this was not the case in the past.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks rory....Guess I'll have to try some of the forum's distributors and see if their any good.

If you're looking to do something out of Freeport, let me know, as a colleague here is going to be starting a retail DIY CCTV/Video Store in Nassau .. maybe able to team up and then less headaches in the long run .. more heads are better than one .. plus would get to test everything before they sell it. I dont know what the Freeport market is like these days though. How is it coming together after the hurricane damage? Thats where i was born and raised BTW!

I saw in your profile where you have used a nubix 8 and you had issues with the DVR. I mostly use the comet 4, the comet 9, and the comet 16.

I recently started using the nubix 4 LT.

The comet 4 is a really low budget entry level DVR, but I love the comet 9, 16, and the nubix 4 LT. Through another distributor I have ordered the comet 9, and 16 under another part number but the other company has the network version of these DVRs. With Eclipse you can order the Orbix series, which I have never ordered, but will some day to test them out.

I do have a 3 year old orbix 8 that is rock solid and still running. It is no longer with the line up but if I see this on ebay I would buy it for the right price. This is one of my in store demo models.

I dont have much experience with nubix8. I am really sorry to hear about your problems. I know how you feel! I always want to order a product and test it before I sell it. These days I can afford to do this, but this was not the case in the past.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hey scorpion!....I never had problems with the Nubix8.Its the Nubix 8LT I had the problems with.The online display is poor and now i need to switch the DVR to a Nubix8 cause the internet display isnt bad on them.And whats weird is that the ips is the same for both DVR's.I've used the Orbix series DVR's but i dont like them too much....Dont get me wrong now!Their nice DVR's but id rather the Nubix8.The 8LT was a big disappointment and now i've gotta switch the DVR or replace it with a Honeywell DVR or another DVR that has good internet display

Thanks rory....Guess I'll have to try some of the forum's distributors and see if their any good.

If you're looking to do something out of Freeport, let me know, as a colleague here is going to be starting a retail DIY CCTV/Video Store in Nassau .. maybe able to team up and then less headaches in the long run .. more heads are better than one .. plus would get to test everything before they sell it. I dont know what the Freeport market is like these days though. How is it coming together after the hurricane damage? Thats where i was born and raised BTW!

I'm always looking to do stuff out of Freeport!Id love if you can give me some more information because I'm interested.The Market in Freeport is kinda good.The company I work for are pulling lots of big and small jobs on the island.We're the newest Security company in Grand Bahama and we're gathering LOTS of jobs and also taking jobs from many security companys that have been around for a while!And their are only 3 techs including myself.But i try to do side jobs to build money to go off to college.Well freeport is coming back to life....SLOWLY!!!...But eventually we'll be back together.Things are looking good tho.Businesses that were closed due to the hurricane(s) are opening back up so things are coming along good.

Hey Agent_Jay23

OH! OH! I just ordered my first nubix 8LT. Thinking about what you have said I will be confirming your problems or I will be allright.

If it is as bad as you say it is, I may be switching to the IC Flex.

You guys might want to check out this DVR.

http://powertelecomm.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/product_16300.htm

Great remote video quality, and solid. Its OEM also so other OEMs sell it as well. One thing with PowerTeleComm though is their products typically stay around. You should be able to find it at various retail stores and distributors.

My colleague here use to sell the Nubix and its okay, but personally I dont like the way they change the entire unit manufacturer over time. The Nubix use to be the ActiveTec unit, now its a totally different brand. I actually had a shopping cart set up with all the Eclipse products, then come time to release it, they stopped selling the Nubix (ActiveTec version) and came out with something else .. use to sell their PC based DVRs also, that was fun .. LOL .. cheapest parts they could find in the ready built systems .. some cards never even worked when purchased separately (drivers rarely worked also). They have replaced most of them that are out there in the field by now due to PC hardware failures - replaced to Geos.

Their cameras are "okay", very basic but typically work. Been there done that, they really only have 2 decent enough bullet cameras though, the ECL-596 and the ECL-598HIM, the ECL-377X is not bad either, good for low light but horrible image in the day and either way very low quality image. All the other Eclipse cameras we have here are pretty much not worth it, but then you get what you pay for. They are still better than COP cameras IMO as i used them before as well.

Also, i never did like the "language" barrier from Miami businesses, I dont understand Spanglish

Still have alot of stock on hand and as demos at the CMS, and still sell some of the eclipse cameras due to the budget constraints down here, shipping, and customs charges - they are cheaper. But looking at higher quality products at this time, they seem to be tired of the low quality.

I hear you loud and clear Rory!

I have an Orbix 8 that everyone wants to buy! It is no longer sold, and I found out the hard way. It was on the web site for a long time then poof when you need it the most it is gone!

I have noticed this with other models as well. I am glad that the comet 9 and the comet 16 never change! I wished they carried the network version of these. For the network version I have to order them from another company out of Texas.

I would not mind the flip flop so much if the features were getting better, and better, or the price was dropping over time.

I use the ECL 599 camera on every residential install that is requested at entry level pricing.

I recently used the 599LR and was really disapointed by the night time IR video. It is referenced at 60 feet of IR and at 30 feet the video was not there. I have a camera that I order from Uriel/ AVS. It is a "ball" camera that sits on a frame. IT is a 4 - 9 mm Vari Focal Impact resistant, and it is vandal resistant. This camera really pulls it weight (or at least for its price range). This install is asking for two more cameras and I will not be using the 599LR this time around. As usual it is a bid process that is entry level, and I cannot use the correct camera for the application. Thank you Uriel!

Yeah the 599 was not bad actually .. just the no IR cut filter thingy .. thats why i Didnt mention it .. works though .. just stay clear of the Max255 .. not worth saving those extra dollars for the horid image it produces I got approx 50-60' of IR from the 598HIM though .. they arent bad for the price.

Thanks for the heads up on the Max 255. Is this an Epse item? I have never heard of it.

I have never tried the 598HIM. I have been waiting for the right bid so I can give it a whirl.

For the ECL 599 the camera is ok for low bids. It is a great camera, but the real reason why I like it is because it has a decent mount and the plastic and the screws that come with it are great! ( That is for quick install for entry level work). I have ordered cameras elsewhere with the same specs and I would laugh my butt off because the mounts were so cheesy I would almost fall off my ladder laughing! Then to add insult to injury the plastics are just a joke! I may as well drill a hole in the block, fill it with caulking and stick a dry wall screw in it for all these are worth!

Now for my favorite! MY bid will get turned down because " I found this camera at harbor frieght, home depot, internet and it only costs $30.00 but thank you anyways".

You are welcome! Good Luck (I'll see you in the fall when it gets dark at 5pm and that 10 foot IR throw will not be enough)! I hate December! I always get those calls for help. "Help, I had this guy who installed these cameras and now it does'nt.............".

It is amazing how many installs are done during the summer by trunk thumpers, and how many southern engineerings I have to fix for these people in the winter!

I love this job! It never gets boring!

cctvoutlet sells the max255, they just dont advertise it .. for obvious reasons .. its dead cheap!!

Yeah i hear you about the pricing, even worse down here with customs duty and stamp tax .. and shipping costs alot more also .. time as we warranty it, its not cheap anymore

Yeah i use the ECL-599 camera's aswell but they don't show very good during the day time but as night falls they show very well!Rory you never got back to me on the DIY thing in nassau that your friend is doing.

Yeah i use the ECL-599 camera's aswell but they don't show very good during the day time but as night falls they show very well!Rory you never got back to me on the DIY thing in nassau that your friend is doing.

Yeah we are still discussing it, also been busy ..

Ill PM you sometime this week to get your contact so we can talk.

Thanks

Great remote video quality, and solid. Its OEM also so other OEMs sell it as well. One thing with PowerTeleComm though is their products typically stay around. You should be able to find it at various retail stores and distributors.

Rory do you know where to buy them from? how much do they retail for?

thanks

Rory do you know where to buy them from? how much do they retail for?

thanks

Not sure as its new, we got the demo unit direct from them.

I would have to check tonight and send an email to them to ask where they are retailing now. I would think it is retailing around the same price of the cheaper Everfocus and Nuvico units.

Its also sold under other branded names by other OEMs, i know of at least one personally, but im sure there are more. I was actually impressed how clear the remote video is ..

Hi Rory

I called Power telecom after I had posted on the forum. They referred me to buy from a company in Florida. She did not give me the name, but instead someone would contact me from their office in Florida later tomorrow.

thanks

Yeah we are still discussing it, also been busy ..

Ill PM you sometime this week to get your contact so we can talk.

Thanks

Thanks rory!

I have a question rory and scorpion....Im asking this cause you guys dealt with ECL before.Is this a good cam? "1/3" SONY CCD HI-RES DAY/NIGHT 3.5-8MM 480TVL 0.05 LUX IR SENS. VF A/I"Its a ECL-557HDV.I have a job coming up and i quoted the guy 4 of those....They go for about $167 a cam.Would any of you use those for a customer?And lets say GE sold a cam with the same specs...But cost $120 bucks more.Would you go with it?Or stay with the ECL because they have the same specs?Cause if there's a difference i'll get different cams.They're outdoor vandal domes and he wants quality and i also quoted a Nubix4 DVR.

all of their domes are horrible .. especially the 557.

The GE would be much much better without any doubt.

Check out the Sanyo Pan Focus right now, GE is supposed to have some new Day Night Vandal Domes out soon, but just not yet.

all of their domes are horrible .. especially the 557.

The GE would be much much better without any doubt.

Check out the Sanyo Pan Focus right now, GE is supposed to have some new Day Night Vandal Domes out soon, but just not yet.

I looked at the Sanyo cam rory and it looks great but a little too much from what i want to pay.But im looking at a next Sanyo cam.Its the VDCD1584VA hows that one rory?Would you buy it?Its goes for about 240 cost

Yeah thats the original one, ive used that before, basically similar camera, just not Pan Focus.

I have never used this camera. I cannot speak for or against this camera.

I am more of the type to order a camera for a bid project and test it in the environment (or simulate the environment) and what you see is what you get.

I use pretty much the same cameras over and over and for a bid project I allready know what camera I am going to use.

Using the price that is shown in the Eclipse catalog, I order a camera priced very similar from a different provider. This camera rocks! It has 4-9mm vari focal, 50 foot IR, vandel resistant and the night time video using IR is good. Remember a majority of my clients are in the ENTRTY LEVEL price range, and I am not doing HIGH END INSTALLS. If I am doing high end installs I use the best of the best.

I want my products rated at 100% and I want the product installed and working at 50% of its rated capacity. Now I know I have some "headroom" to play with. My luck the customer always trys to move the camera and make it do what it is not designed to do.

I am sorry that I cant help you more. PM me and I tell you the camera and the price and where to get from.