sbbamafan

Couple of quick questions

I have a project to do that has led me to a couple of questions.

What is the proper name for the device that enables you to carry 4 video signals on one cat5? Roughly how much are these?

Also, due to the layout of the facility there are a few runs that are +/- 1,100 feet. There is an electrical room about in the middle. It would seem appropriate to run cat5 with an amplifier in this room to kick the signal up to the DVR. Can you please recommend a device to amplify six signals in this fashion and give me a budget for this as well? Thanks in advance.

There are two main types of cctv baluns in general, Passive baluns, which just convert coax composite signals to a balanced signal suitable for twisted pair transmission (cat5 etc) and active baluns,which do the same but amplify the signal. NVT is one of the most well known producers, pricey but good.

Y'all (southern word, sorry) missed my point.

I know what baluns are and use them frequently. I also know the difference between active and passive baluns. I don't want to use active baluns becasue I dont want to have to power anything else at the camera. Will an active baluns work on the DVR end and regenerate the signal which is already weakened at that point. My thought was to amplify the signal at the halfway point. It makes more sense to me but I may be wrong.

The other question I asked is the name of the device that enables you to carrry 4 signals on one cat5.

Thanks again.

Will an active baluns work on the DVR end and regenerate the signal which is already weakened at that point.

Actives can be used to amplify at dvr end, but obviously they amplify the signal at that point, interference and all..... Best to have them at sending end I would think, but not experimented with actives, so just thinking aloud so to speak...

The other question I asked is the name of the device that enables you to carrry 4 signals on one cat5.

Bit lost here, that is what baluns are for, use one balun per cam, you can use all 4 pairs in the cat 5 to send 4 video signals.

Or are you after sending 4 video signals down one pair of the cat 5? If so, that *may* be possible at reduced frame rates, if you use multiplexer pairs. But it adds a lot to the cost, not all dvrs would be suitable for that setup, and adds complexity at the control side.

STUPID ME!!! I just realized what you are saying by thinking about the 4 pair and only using one pair for signal. My brain, slow though it may be was imagining the other three pair carrying the power, as I have done before. This brings me to another question. Imagine this hypothetical (real on my job). There is a long +/- 300 foot hallway with cameras located about 40' down perpendicular hallways every 75'. {I hope this is making sense.} Is there a clean way to "T" off of the main hallway run to the other cameras?