sbbamafan

Client needs an inexpensive system - pc based too expensive

All we install (until now) is pc based DVR's. I now have an exisitng client that has a small location that he wants to install a dedicated / Linux embedded DVR. Truthfully, I don't really know anything about them. Can anywone please recommend a very inexpensive unit (sort of bare bones) that has 16 channel capacity. Reliability is the only real concern.

I really don't think there will be a cost savings by going to a stand alone. They are both priced about the same. The stand alone may even be higher. But when sticking to a low entry level DVR, I think you will have less trouble with a stand alone. I would recommend the ICRealtime Flex, which is not bare bones. But less in cost than say GE or Pelco. Nuvico, would be considered entery level.

Look at Dynacolor. We have one 4-port unit in as a test unit. It seems stable and able. The web-based controls are fine. Doing anything from the DVR it self (built in buttons) is a bit clunky, but probably as good as you can get without an actual keyboard. We have not tested these in actual service, but the test unit seems to do well.

Pricing is reasonable.

only price difference will be found in the cheap budget units, they will save you alot of money, but will not have near the features.