sparks

Dvr compatability?

I am looking into getting a dvr to replace my video recorder but only have an old cctv camera and wondered if it would work with the dvr and what sort of quality would i get? As i know most of the cameras now work on 380 lines + and i don't know what my camera has

[edit by mod - no links to stores please]. I will be changing the camera at a later date but wondered if i could change to dvr now.

DVR's take a composite video signal, same as the phono A/V socket on a tv or video (except the DVR will have BNC sockets instead of phono). As long as your camera has a seperate video out signal going to a phono plug (seems to by specs, but best check!) you would need to get a BNC to phono adapter (or chop the end of the camera and wire on a BNC yourself) in order to physically plug it in.

Then the video should work... Audio would depend on the wiring again, you may need an adapter, or to replace the connectors, and it would also mean you have to get a dvr that can record audio, not all do!

Thanks for the info ken. The camera i have has does have RCA/phono connections on both the video and audio.The dvr 's i have been looking at do support audio,but i am more concerned about what the quality will be like on the dvr using this camera as i can't really afford to buy everything in one go.

What DVRs are you looking at? You can save money by not using the Mpeg or H 264 compression standards.

I do alot of entry level priced 4 camera installs. I usually get the calls where people have found out the hard way that the cheap DVR that they bought at the "big warehouse" (where you buy products in bulk) will not do the job. The live video looks good but when you watch play back it looks really pixelated. If you have ever watched an episode of cops where they blur out the detectives face yet there is still enough detail to see the outline of his face, and you can tell if he has a beard or not, well this is what the whole recorded video playback looks like on some equipment. I have also seen where the video play back looks really blocky. There are so many squares in the video it is really hard to see detail in the video. This would be ok to see who is stealing your newspaper or what neighbors dog is pooping in your yard, but I would not want this in my DVR. The biggest problem that I see with very inexpensive DVRs is that they are already working at 90% of their operational capacity, and it does not take much heat for the system to go belly up.

I would avoid cutting this wire and putting on the bnc connector. Guys like us who do this for a living can do this in our sleep, but the average joe may freak when they see how small the wire really is! You can get the BNC to RCA adapter at most electronics stores. It may be in the $5.00 each price range.

Your camera will work fine! If you are happy with the picture you saw on your T.V. then what you saw is what you will get.

If you have any more questions I will be happy to help.

Dvr's i am considering are..

[edit by mod - no links to stores please]

X-vision (Model: X4DVR/CD)

Or

Pentaplex 4 camera DVR with Networking & CDrw Model N4DVR782

New link to manufacturer

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_782.htm

I did decide to go for the BNC to RCA adapter thanks.

Edited by Guest