atropine

can pan tilt camera motion detect?

HI,

Jus wondering if a Pan/tilt mechanism is set to auto roam panning and tilting is the DVR software still able to bet set to motion detect so that if a person walks across the camera's field the DVR will start recording, otherwise it won't?

As someone not knowing anything about about security setup's i'd imagine that would not be possible as how can the DVR differentiate between the movement the camera it'self creates via pan/tiling and the movement of a person walking, but thought I'd check anyway. PTZ cameras are getting quite cheap now, so was interested in knowing what you can do with them.

Never had a working dome, but i would bet bottom dollar that no system on the market will be able to offer motion detection during a patrol. Just not viable commercially to produce. Technically it would be possible, but not viable cost wise.

When a cam moves, it produces lots of movement. Almost ALL movement detection is based on very basic principles, often the 'more' avdanced ones are more trouble than they are worth. to design a system to ignore movement but alarm on movement is complicated, as it needs to know what is legit movement, and what is not.

if anyone has any details to the contrary, please shout up

Yeah that's what I thought too.

But then I thought, I wonder after you set the camera to auto roam, the PVR software might be able to digitise its' course, and so create a rule that when the video frame is the same as a frame already digitised then no movement has occurred, when the frame is different to an existing frame by a certain percentage then that constitutes movement.

That would require a hell of a lot of CPU though, If the automatic route is 20 seconds all up, then the DVR would have to check up to 600frames (30fpsX20) against each frame it's checking for motion detection.

Today/s computers/DVR's might not be capable of that.

Edited by Guest

Yup, as you say, that sort of thing is viable to do, but just not viable to produce.............

I have a dvr that is supposed to ignore repetative movement, but to be honest, it sometimes stops recording when it should not.

Motion detection is so basic on dvrs, its basically a joke - it either works, or it does not. There is no real thought involved in the design/production of 99 percent of motion systems. Its all about marketing, not results.

To date, I have never seen ANY system where I could hand on heart say, hey the designers actually cared about the end result, and had experience of security. The closest I have come to saying that, is with BBV systems who come very close.

Never worked with these style of systems. I have heard of PTZ that can move to a preset when the DVR detects motion on a camera. This gives you another angle to view the "scene".

I thought most systems in this category used motion sensors, or beam detectors to activate presets.

I would not know how to prioritize a scene so when you have multiple movements it selects the highest priority scene.

Motion detection is not the end all of all systems. It is a sacrifice created to save space on hard drives. 24 hour recordings on an entry level system will eat a hard drive quickly as we all know, and piss off a customer who goes to retrieve this needed data, and they have found that it just got wrote over. NOW what do you do?

Yes! In a high threat, or high security area you will want 24 hour recording but the design will be for large capacity storage. It is true that you will lose an event with motion detection for many reasons. Sometimes it may be that you have to tweak the sensitivity of the settings to get close to what you are trying to accomplish.

I would much rather use several ways to catch the video. Beams, and detectors have their place, but what about where someone jumps a fence. Then you have to wait till they trip a target zone. What if something happens outside of a target zone? 24 hour will catch it, or you can use motion as a back up to other systems.

I like how we all design the perfect system with all of the details worked right down to the finest detail with every failure thought out in advance only to find the customers never looks at the video, or even turns the thing on!

It is not reliable to detect motion on a moving ptz camera. Presets can work for motion in many ways with a ptz.

1. Mount a wide angel camera in area that is viewed with ptz. When motion is detected in wide view camera is sets off an alrm that is programmed for a preset on the ptz.

2. Beams.

3. Motion detectors.

4. Any other no/nc style input. i.e. a door contact on a gate programmed into a ptz preset.

There are ptz cameras now that have what is called auto-track that will follow a person or vehicle as it moves. I do not recommend them though. All someone has to do is send in a dummy the camera tracks while the other person does the crime

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense. I was looking for as many positives as I could to make me spend money on a PTZ camera.

In my situation a PIR detector would probably be fine for motion detection to alert me to look at the monitor.