atropine

PT270P Pan/Tilt - Do i need a physical controller unit?

Hi again CCTV guys,

I want to buy a 24V Pelco PT270P Pan/Tilt but from looking at the Pelco website I don't know if the Pan/Tilters can be controlled directly via RS-485 signals meaning I could use DVR software to control it directly or weather I need a physical pelco controller.

So my question is do I need:

DVR PTZ software --> RS485 output --> Pelco Pan/Tilt Scanner.

or do I need

DVR PTZ software --> RS485 output --> Pelco hardware controller--> Pelco Pan/Tilt Scanner.

This is the website link to this product

ftp://www.pelco.com/ProductSpecs/Pelco_PT270P_Series_Pan_and_Tilt_spec.pdf

Sorry if that is dumb question, I cant see any mention of rs458, but in general discussion on this board it seems like PTZ control is possible directly via RS-485 without a hardware controller interface.

I have a couple of those, but I don't power them via RS-485. They are basically 24vac motors that I power with a 2-switch system. 2 motors that have 2 directions each. I normally will use a 2 pushbutton station and a 3-position switch, momentary hold, and spring return to center. A 24v transformer of course is needed. I have re-fitted several Pelcos and Vicons, but not used anything other than a 6 conductor cable to power them.

Ok thanks for that. So sounds like I would need a physical controller to use RS-485. I wanted to do auto touring etc using the DVR software.

Yes, the use of a controller is necessary but be careful. Not just any dvr or controller will work on some ptz's. With most Ptz's, in order to program the presets thats easy. But when presetting auto touring, some ptz's require three digit input. Some of the cheaper controllers are only two digit. And most dvr's can't do this. Having said that, If the maker of the ptz camera makes the dvr, it may be able to program the proprietary ptz.