flyingxspirit

need help in CCTV data storage

need a little assist;

i have around 20 and above cpu use for cctv propose. each cpu have 16 camera with it, installed with 2 DVR card and 250Gb harddisk.

i all ready use low resolution and quality of picture to make the data has been record become smaller, also i configure the system to record only when have a motion, but it still cant help me out . 250Gb can be full only in 1 week.

but the problem is i need to waste a lot of my time everyday just because i need to store the data have been captured in to DVD.

there any other way that can i use to store that data? i also want to know one thing, at security propose how long the data need to store?

need a little assist;

i have around 20 and above cpu use for cctv propose. each cpu have 16 camera with it, installed with 2 DVR card and 250Gb harddisk.

i all ready use low resolution and quality of picture to make the data has been record become smaller, also i configure the system to record only when have a motion, but it still cant help me out . 250Gb can be full only in 1 week.

but the problem is i need to waste a lot of my time everyday just because i need to store the data have been captured in to DVD.

there any other way that can i use to store that data? i also want to know one thing, at security propose how long the data need to store?

How long you keep the raw recorded data would be determined by what you are looking for and how long after an incident occurs you would need to review it.

Most users will store the raw data for one week to one month. After that, the raw data is overwritten by new video in a constant erase/write process. If an incident occurs that needs to be saved longer, the user would create a clip of that incident and save it to long-term storage - usually CD or DVD.

With the price of large hard drives continually dropping and simple SATA RAID becoming popular, it wouldn't be too expensive to go to 500GB or even 1TB. That could give you a month or longer at your current resolution and frame rate.

HDD are cheap 320Gb to 750Gb and 1 terabytes out now, the price break here are the 320Gb around AU$100 4 of those in a RAID 5 sweet....

Or buy a external USB HDD like a 500Gb Maxtor etc, as the DVR`s secondary drive.

my 2c

If you have 20 DVRs each with 16 cameras going you really need to figure this out.

I would be looking towards NAS, just Samba boxes with gigabit ethernet and several HDDs. Right now 500GB drives are at a pretty sweet price point.

im working on factory cctv. so they looking on operator movement and factory area. DVR system work 24hour but i set it to be recorded only when it have a motions.

for now, as factory need i to keep the data for 7year before the data can be destroy. all of it not just only when it have an incident.

do anyone know what converter can convert *.dvr file?

If you have 20 DVRs each with 16 cameras going you really need to figure this out.

I would be looking towards NAS, just Samba boxes with gigabit ethernet and several HDDs. Right now 500GB drives are at a pretty sweet price point.

NAS?? what is that thing? can show me the pic?

And i like to know, my dvr save the capture file in this format *.dvr . anyone know how to convert this format to other format like avi or something else that is can be played from windows media player?

Go to wikipedia dot com and type in network-attached storage, its a good article you can read on NAS

Western Digital SE16 500GB and 750GB Drives are inexpensive now .. approx $100 for the 500GB and $200 for the 750's ... most PC retailers. Check it out .. I would only use the 250 16 for the OS drive now .. I would also look at buying it directly from the manufacturer, such as Western Digital's site, as it is packaged better for shipping, than when it is just thrown in bubble wrap at the top of the box with other PC parts. Ive had much better experience with the drives that came from the manu, but they did cost a little extra and took longer to arrive.

And no, the 500GB's at least (since Ive used those) dont get hot at all. Cant speak for the 750's as I havent used them yet myself, but do plan to.

BTW the 500GB translates to 465GB time as it is in windows XP, so expect 930GB from 2x500GB drives.