rory

TV wont Shut Off

Well this is off topic but i figured someone here might know whats up ..

I have a 2nd hand TV someone gave me .. had it 3 weeks now .. anyway just now I went to turn it off, and instead it goes to BW, then i smell a burning plastic smell ... I also noticed this evening there were rolling lines .. but could just have been a cable or something, didnt check that out .. anyway sop I unplugged it and took it outside as I dont know what its doing .. basiccally it wont turn off. .. now when I hit the power button again, it went to color, then I hit it again, it goes to BW ..

Any ideas? Is that burning smell dangerous, cause it is sure smelly ..

thanks!

Rory

Sounds like somethings fried inside the tv!

I would get a local repair shop to have a look at it, these days most TV's dont have simple on off switches that just turn the tv off, as the have standby so only partially turn of the tv (but leave lots on so the remote or buttons work to wake it up, and it wont take as long to display a picture, as some leave the tube warmed up)

You can probably spot the fried components if you look inside, but be careful if you do, easy to kill yourself inside a tv..... Even if you spot what is fried, you would need to safely discharge certain areas, and also replace certain components with *exact* duplicates (for example some resistors can just be substituted with just anotheer resistor of the same value, they need to be rated the same for temp and fire resistance etc.)

I would unplug it, and leave it unplugged till its been properly fixed, as it could easily catch fire if left unattended, even if the off appeared to be working.

I have not worked on tvs in so long. When all else fails beat it with a hammer.

In your case toss it and buy another one. You will more than likely find that it is in the power supply. It may be a bridge rectifier that went bad, or individual diodes that make a bridge rect. You may need to replace the capacitors, and regulators that go with it.

In the old days you could blame B+ power for all of your ills. This may be similiar to what you are seeing. It may be working but the tapped off voltage working another circuit is not getting its fair share.

I wonder if the sound was as screwed up as well.

thanks guys

its outside still, ill leave it there, im going to hook up the coax to the LCD for right now .. I also have my OLD TV in the garage so I can always grab that as well .. until I get a new one ..

Rory