hzoskiers2001

140 metres ditance from dvr what cable

have to run 140 metres alot of different opinions what to run rg 59 rg6 or cat 5 can someone give me the fors and againts for the above please heave read in the forums cat 5 is not that good with baluns at a shorter distance

baluns work fine a short distances.

140 meters is approx. 450 -500 ft........at a swag, as I am All-American

use CAT5 with Baluns........24VAC. if outdooor inground, use direct bury gel filled CAT5.

140 meters is nothing for a decent camera, RG6 and RG59 (good quality would be fine...but voltage may be an issue) I have seen bad results on Baluns and good results, if you use a cam that has built in ability to read the impedance and adjust it, then even better!

hi ive used samsumg 540 line full bodied cameras but im worried about the coax ive used it was quad shield from middys it wasnt cheap but it has aluminium braid have you used cat 5 as it is a big job to rerun the rg6

check the charts on voltage/cable loss. And also watch your TVL loss. A unspoken video loss on this forum is not widely recognized but it is a real issue to spec out. Example: 380 TVL B&W camera uses less bandwidth than a 550TVL Color camera, therefore, voltage loss and video signal loss are linear if the cable used is equal. Sounding kinda techie now, but, a 380 TVL B&W will go beyond 1500ft. on a CAT5 with no problems but a 550 TVL Color will start to show video loss at 800ft..not exact, just an example. If you put both the camera's on monitor at 100ft. the B&W looks as good as a 380TVL should, but the 550TVL Color will show loss of color depth and actually video picture loss on the sides and top of the pic. RG cable has the same limitations, just different lengths.

Better cams, cable, and baluns make a difference in signal loss and increase signal distances.

Now what would be cool is if a very smart person created a new video signal codec where all cams used are super mega B&W pixel that provide a "smart" data overhead with color regen info........and on the DVR side the DVR would take that video signal and process the color back into the pic as coded in the data overhead. Even better would be the fact that during low light & no light conditions the DVR only has to be connected to a outdoor light sensor that switches off the regen color codec. I hope I just made sense because my brain hurts now.

That is really not a very long distance for RG59 and Quad shield RG6 should have no problems...I know I always plug Bosch but if you were unsure you could use an XF camera becasue it has cable compensation and allows RG59 up to 800 Meters, you can actually make it detect the loss and compensate it...voltage is also going to be an issue and a big one if you intend on using small cat5 cables...you can pair a couple of them up to increase the gauge but using good quality 6 or 9 should be ample, you could always run it on the ground first to test?