hello! this is arif here, i need to know the dif between the crossover cables and normal patchcords, and where these cables will be used

A crossover cable is often used to connect directly to a DVR, ther are many other uses but relevancy to the CCTV industry it would be fair to say that a crossover cable is only used to connect your pC device to another when ther is no hub or switch or network device..... IE

You can set your laptop to 192.168.0.1 and you DVr to 192.168.0.2 and use the crossover cable between the two to make a network connection which is very handy for testing why a DVR isnt working on a network.... In short if you go to site and use your remote software diurectly connected to a DVR on a crossover cable and it works and it will not work on another computer on the network then something in the network is causing the problem.

I agree with cctv_down-under!!!

I install stand alone DVRs and not PC based DVRs.

I have installed systems where the DVR is not hooked up to the internet. The business owner will want to watch the video from his office. I can run a cat 5 cable to his office from the DVR located else where. Using his computer he can watch the video from the DVR and he can choose multi view, or camera channels, or he can look at past history.

I could run r59 or rg6 to the office from the video out from the DVR. I would then have to run a wire and use zantech IR repeater systems to send a remote control signal back to the DVR to control it. This would require a DVR w/ a remote control. It is much easier to run cat 5.

If you were hooking up several computers then you would not use the crossover cable. You would use reg cat 5 and plug in to a router.

A patch cable:

is wired straight through..

ie. the wire for pin 1 is the same on this end as it is on the other end.

and you guessed it, pin 3 is also pin 3 on the other end. and so on....

A Cross over cable

is wired

Pin 1 to pin 3

Pin 2 to pin 6

Pin 3 to pin 1

pin 6 to pin 2

as per Cisco. Im prety sure they got it right..

Matt~

Or just use a SMART switch if you change the setup and this will auto sense the connections and you dont have to change the cables, from straight thru to cross over

very handy but a bit dearer then a normal switch /hub

Straight thru (a)

greenwhite / green / orangewhite / blue / bluewhite / orange / brownwhite / brown

for crossover (b)

change the green/orange pairs

It helps to keep it std so you can just pick up a cable and see what std it is, otherwise as long as the colours match at each end then it dont matter how they go can start with brown / orange / blue /green or any choice