wishmegood

Need help on DVR skip frames recording

Here i am again.

I faced a problem recently that a DVR always 'skip frame' while recording under motion detection mode.

I take an example to explain the 'skip frame' here.

Say, I have a camera at 1st floor, called CamA, and another camera at ground floor, called CamB. While a person walking down to ground floor from the 1st floor (within coverage of camera monitoring), the DVR should record motion for CamA first, and then record that for CamB while that person reach ground floor. But now the problem is, from the record playback, we could only see the recording for ground floor from CamB, no recording from CamA.

Conditions: CamA works perfectly always, it can record every movement always, but only sometimes it doesn't work which bothers me indeed.

Could this problem probably come from firmware inside the DVR?

Could someone please correct and clarify me with this issue?

Thanks so much.

What kind of DVR do you have?

I do not know what issue you have. I can only assume that you may have a setting that will make the motion detection more sensitive, or you can make it less sensitive.

It appears to work when you walk up to the camera. Is there an elevator, or a stairwell in this video. I can guess that when someone goes up, or down the stairs, or the elevator that they are not "recorded".

If this sounds about right then this would be a sensitivity issue.

If the sensitivity is fixed, and you are unable to make any changes then the stair/elevator is too far to activate the recording. In this case you may have to move the camera closer. If you can make lens changes then you can put a higher mm lens to get closer the the area of activity.

Good Luck!

hi,to my knowledge,motion detection work well according to the contrast.If the place is too dark,maybe motion detection can't work well.

The DVR i am using is without brand name, and it is said to be manufactured in Korea.

I do not know what issue you have. I can only assume that you may have a setting that will make the motion detection more sensitive, or you can make it less sensitive.

It appears to work when you walk up to the camera. Is there an elevator, or a stairwell in this video. I can guess that when someone goes up, or down the stairs, or the elevator that they are not "recorded".

If this sounds about right then this would be a sensitivity issue.

If the sensitivity is fixed, and you are unable to make any changes then the stair/elevator is too far to activate the recording. In this case you may have to move the camera closer. If you can make lens changes then you can put a higher mm lens to get closer the the area of activity.

Good Luck!

First of all, thanks so much for the reply.

The sensitivity for motion detection has been set to be the highest, and it works well most of the time while we perform testing purposely and during normal recording, yet from record while we play back, sometimes it skips frames that should be recorded, and we also found sometimes some frames just suddenly freeze for seconds, is it possible the problems coming from hard drive (the brand for hard drive we use is Western Digital) too? I heard somebody said this DOES matter, cause Western Digital hard drive cause issues frequently?

any other inputs will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

hi,to my knowledge,motion detection work well according to the contrast.If the place is too dark,maybe motion detection can't work well.

Grace, thanks so much for your info.

did you mean the contrast affecting the sensitivity of motion detection? in fact the camera recording was carried out inside a premise, and the problem of 'skipping frames' occurs once to twice in a day sometimes.

i guess the sensitivity of motion detection itself isn't the cause for this problem, as sometimes the DVR even can record a sudden light from outside the house during early morning, say 4am.

is it possible the issue coming from the firmware inside the DVR too?

on the other hand, do you have any advices on the 'frame freezing' problem? it could be explained as this: a person walked to Point A within the camera coverage area, the recording suddenly freezed for seconds, and from the following recording it also did not show how that person left the Point A.

so basically is it also possible problem coming from medium-end DVR itself?

any additional advices will be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

The DVR i am using is without brand name, and it is said to be manufactured in Korea. It is considered a medium-end and low cost DVR.

I wish I had it on my bench here. I could give you better info.

Here is where we have to trouble shoot.

Yes the dvr can give you issues.

The environment can give you issues.

Firmware could be an issue.

You do not know what brand it is, but does if have any kind of name tag?

On the bottom or the back? This could give us a resellars dvr model number so it may not be of any use to us but.....?

Do you have the instruction manual? Does mention anything there?

Can you do a google on this device that might show a picture of it even though it may show a different "brand" then what we think it is?

Lets move the camera for testing purposes. A different orientation perhaps?

I would take it off the maximum setting for sensitivity. How do you know this is the maximum setting? If you have the manual then I see this is so.

Motion detection is not perfect. It is only designed to help eliminate unwanted footage to save space on the hard drive. In High threat areas it is more preferable to have it to record 24/7. High threat situations can afford larger size H drives. A residential install does not need terabyte storage capacities. They just need to check on it every few days or so.

Ok. How old is your DVR. If it is really old? It may just be the best technology at it's time.

Here is a trick since it is not under any warranty. Open up the cabinet, and check for dust in the fan, and any heat sinks. If this has become clogged with dust it can raise the temp of the dvr making it work harder, and making it struggle real hard to keep up.

I am hoping this would be the solution to your problem.

Is this your business, or building? Is this for a friend? Is this a customer of yours and your butt is hanging out in the wind?

If this is your cctv business, get a new one to save your reputation. If this is for a friend, then he got a good deal, and there are trade offs in saving money. He shoud appreciate that he has a system!

If this is yours and you are just "poking aroung" for a hobby, then you shoud be ok as is.

What does the RECORDED video look like. I bet the video is really nice and has good detail. Am I right? Skipping frames may be a part of this. Can you change to a lesser setting?

The recordings may be more interested in "detail" then having a smooth playback. I bet you can count every leaf on a tree if the camera was pointed outside?

IF NOT THE ABOVE...

This may have been built more for remote viewing over the internet. What does it look like when remote viewing? The same? I figured it would look the same over the internet as well as watching the recorded video straight to a tv/monitor.

Do you have extra connections where you can hook up more cameras?

If yes add more cameras. If you miss them in one camera you may pick them up in another camera.

If you have no more inputs left then I do not know what to tell you.

After you try all of the above and you are still stuck then you may have to buy another one if the "threat level" is high enough!

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Keep me posted.

I wish I had it on my bench here. I could give you better info.

Here is where we have to trouble shoot.

Yes the dvr can give you issues.

The environment can give you issues.

Firmware could be an issue.

You do not know what brand it is, but does if have any kind of name tag?

On the bottom or the back? This could give us a resellars dvr model number so it may not be of any use to us but.....?

Do you have the instruction manual? Does mention anything there?

Can you do a google on this device that might show a picture of it even though it may show a different "brand" then what we think it is?

Lets move the camera for testing purposes. A different orientation perhaps?

I would take it off the maximum setting for sensitivity. How do you know this is the maximum setting? If you have the manual then I see this is so.

Motion detection is not perfect. It is only designed to help eliminate unwanted footage to save space on the hard drive. In High threat areas it is more preferable to have it to record 24/7. High threat situations can afford larger size H drives. A residential install does not need terabyte storage capacities. They just need to check on it every few days or so.

Ok. How old is your DVR. If it is really old? It may just be the best technology at it's time.

Here is a trick since it is not under any warranty. Open up the cabinet, and check for dust in the fan, and any heat sinks. If this has become clogged with dust it can raise the temp of the dvr making it work harder, and making it struggle real hard to keep up.

I am hoping this would be the solution to your problem.

Is this your business, or building? Is this for a friend? Is this a customer of yours and your butt is hanging out in the wind?

If this is your cctv business, get a new one to save your reputation. If this is for a friend, then he got a good deal, and there are trade offs in saving money. He shoud appreciate that he has a system!

If this is yours and you are just "poking aroung" for a hobby, then you shoud be ok as is.

What does the RECORDED video look like. I bet the video is really nice and has good detail. Am I right? Skipping frames may be a part of this. Can you change to a lesser setting?

The recordings may be more interested in "detail" then having a smooth playback. I bet you can count every leaf on a tree if the camera was pointed outside?

IF NOT THE ABOVE...

This may have been built more for remote viewing over the internet. What does it look like when remote viewing? The same? I figured it would look the same over the internet as well as watching the recorded video straight to a tv/monitor.

Do you have extra connections where you can hook up more cameras?

If yes add more cameras. If you miss them in one camera you may pick them up in another camera.

If you have no more inputs left then I do not know what to tell you.

After you try all of the above and you are still stuck then you may have to buy another one if the "threat level" is high enough!

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Keep me posted.

scorpion, thanks for your valuable info.

Yet I still couldn't be able to find out the brand name, nor the supplier could give the brand name, it's OEM products they explained.

this is my cctv business. I set all the sensitivity to be highest level.

Recently the customer complained again that one of the camera kept recording for the whole night while dvr was set to motion detection mode, and it turned to normal operation the second day. This confused me much, thus i decided to change to a brand new unit of dvr, AVTech for them. Now the problem should not appear anymore.

Thanks again for your good knowledge.

Is there a warranty on the first DVR that was giving you problems. If there is, please do not open it up. You may void the warranty.

If there is no warranty, then you could open it up, and see if the pc board has a brand name, and a model number, and a version number.

If this product does not have a "warranty tape", and/or if you had to open up the case to install your own hard drive then you can look under the hood.

For the DIY (DO IT YOURSELFER) PLEASE be careful. Unplug the device, and wait 5 seconds before you open it up. Get rid of static electricity by grounding yourself prior to opening the case.

Good luck.

Here i am again.

I faced a problem recently that a DVR always 'skip frame' while recording under motion detection mode.

I take an example to explain the 'skip frame' here.

Say, I have a camera at 1st floor, called CamA, and another camera at ground floor, called CamB. While a person walking down to ground floor from the 1st floor (within coverage of camera monitoring), the DVR should record motion for CamA first, and then record that for CamB while that person reach ground floor. But now the problem is, from the record playback, we could only see the recording for ground floor from CamB, no recording from CamA.

Conditions: CamA works perfectly always, it can record every movement always, but only sometimes it doesn't work which bothers me indeed.

Could this problem probably come from firmware inside the DVR?

Could someone please correct and clarify me with this issue?

Thanks so much.

Are you viewing the playback of the previously recorded images while your system is still operating and recording? How fast are you viewing the playback, 1x, 2x etc?

I am new at CCTV, but have seen this with my system. I have a NUVICO NVDV3 DVR which records while you play back previously recorded images. Sometimes, it will also "skip" or "jump forwards or backwards" over some short segments of recorded video as it tries to read the data and record motion from 5 cameras, especially if I am fast viewing, 4x, 8x, or 16x. However, when I backup the images to CD and play this on my computer frame by frame, everything is there. You could backup the images and view separately from the recorder or maybe turn off the recording mode and trying viewing the playback with no other operations going on. Just a suggestion to see if that is the situation.