everyone here has a favourite dvr can i have some opinions why there brand is bettter and what it does better than something like the cheaper avtech unit the avtech has dvd burner 30frms per channel lan and internet motion watermark masking mpeg 4 havent seen alot of others around the price of the avtech so whta features do the others do is it worth the extra cost

The difference between an AvTech unit and say a GE unit, is day and night.

I'll see if I can compile a list of differences this weekend, as I have used both.

Rory. That would make an excellant sticky!!!!

I use these devices branded under a different company label.

16 channel AVC777W

9 channel AVC776W

4 channel AVC781

I must qualify my choices as I do mostly entry level jobs and entry level prices.

The 16 channel, and the 9 channel models are still running after the one year warranties have run out. My customers are very happy with these products. I am extremely pleased with these devices!!!! I highly recommend them!!

I use a different 4 channel DVR , and I have also used the AVC781, and I liked it very much. It has a good view over the internet. You can also use IE to remote view.

If you are a resellar or a manufacture and you feel that I am being unfair to your product, then understand that this is what is available to me through my distributor. I am interested in other products, at the entry level product price point. I would be willing to receive any PMs on equip. They must be able to ship to Florida with in a 2 - 3 day period.

There have been a few on the forum that were displeased by the 785 (or was it the 785D?).

I had just put my order for one (branded by another company) and was waiting shipment when I saw that particular post. My eyes flashed open, and my jaw dropped.

I did not have any problems and it has been in operation for at least a month now with no complaints. (knock on wood).

I like some of the features on higher end DVRs. I like the idea if cam 1 detects motion then PTZ A can reorient to a preset and provide a different angle of cam 1 view. Now that is really nice! Cam 2 detects motion, and PTZ A reorients to cam 2 view. I wish this was an option on entry level devices.

There have been times that I have bought a higher level DVR than what I use normally for a particular feature only to really waste the full potential of all of the feature/options. The very first time I saw one of these menus I said to myself WTF! To many boxes to check or uncheck. I just want to plug and play, collect my check and go. This is why I do not do PC based (self built) DVRs. I do not build enough of these to get past a learning curve. If it was not for the forum, I probably would never build a geo system.