PKassab

Outdoor case for DVR??

Im installing some cameras with a DVR at a construction site, They havnt recieved there trailer yet but want to be able to record since they have had vandals damaging the property, is there any kind of housing that i can use to install a DVR outside on a pole so people cant access it but be safe from rain and stuff?

peter

only thing i can think of is they build something?

Or they can rent one of those small moving trailers?

Ya i am sure the guy wants to spend almost double for a safe then he is paying to have 2 cameras installed

Peter

I reckon rory's idea of the moving trailer is your best option. With safes, even if you do find a cheap one, you're gonna require ventilation, or your DVR'll screw up. However building a little box wouldn't be a bad idea, and you could drill a few holes at the bottom to allow air flow.

The reason I am asking this is because they want the cameras installed before the trailer gets there, so this is a small problem. a fridge would be a little too big to mount to an electrical pole

peter

Peter,

I remember i had a similar situation, i just made a little box, pull out the toolbox!. I made it out of MDF. Depending on the DVR, make it to size, leaving a few inches at the top and bottom. Put a couple hinges at the front, and if you can't be bothered to install a lock, just screw it straight in, infact you don't even need to put hinges there; you probably won't need frequent access to it, just 24/7 recording. Obviously you'll have weatherproofing problems. Buy Black Jack's sealent, which is used for guttering etc, should do the trick, cover the box, and drill a couple holes at the bottom, its only temporary and won't cost more than $20 to build. Damn, i should become a carpenter

Id imagine rain could get in through the holes in the bottom though, at least with the heavy summer rains. I know, the UK has more rain that anywhere, was just thinking

Hey, My mother is over there now down in Devon, been for a few weeks, says its raining and cold! My brother is leaving end of this month for manchester for good.

Yeah I saw that town getting wiped out on CNN. Also my mother was in a bus from bideford to exeter and when they arrived they found out part of the road they were just traveling on had been wiped out by a flash flood.

We had our share of heavy rain here actually, in just a couple hours one day, we had enough rain to totally cover a car down one street, that was in an area with bad/no drainage though, which is most of nassau, plus then we have loan contamination. You'd love the outislands though, my Dad is down in Long Island right now, there's no crime, its clean, and great beaches. That is where the real paradise still is. No work there though.

CCTVINSTALLER

Maybe we should charter a flight, and then group book all the Brit CCTV bods, and perhaps go and stay with Rory in the Bahamas .... only joking Rory!

If it keeps raining like this, we'll have to uprate all the camera housings to fully submersible, and that's just indoors!!

I must admit, it got past amusing when a car floated passed me last week, on Londons North Circular Road. Worst I've ever seen!!

Back to Peters problem; how about an 'off the shelf' electrical equipment enclosure, either polycarbonate (screw on cover) or steel case (hinged and lockable), usually rated to IP 55 or 65 (fully weatherproof). I'm not sure who is still in business these days, but I used to use, Sarel, leGrande, Appleby, to name but a few. Electrical Wholesalers should be able to advise on local equivalents.

You just need to pop a couple of holes for cable glands, and maybe fit a small circulating fan inside to minimise hotspots.

If you were that keen to build your own, marine grade or WBP ply is preferable to MDF, but the material + labour costs are probably way more than buying a suitable box.

Anybody got a spare umbrella?

....military surplus ammo can; silicone sealant on all conduits or connectors...

If heat is an issue you can vent through (2) tubes open toward the ground, with a fan.

Someone may see it though.... sandwich it between 2 'No Trespassing' signs...? don't be seen installing it ...

A few things about those ammo cans...one, you need to get the ones for big ammo. A mini-atx board will fit in a small arms around can, but you can't fit a full on PCI card or embeded unit on it. You'll probley want to use the industral grade velcro to secure the box. And you won't be able to use air to cool it if you're running stock AMD or Intel, you'll need a water cooling system. Cyrix and transmeta both make slower chips that will run fairly cool. One of my co-workers has an ammo can based PC that he uses for the playback of mp3s.