rem

Remote access to AVTech AVC781 behind a firewall

Hi All... I've configured my AVC781 to be accessed remotelly from port 80 (even from the Video Server E Client). When accessed from a PC with free internet access it's all wonderfull, but, when accessed behind a firewall (even though I get to log into the server, or get the web access to the dvr) all I get is a white image in the screen. Have any one had this problem, and/or found any solution to it? Is the video stream from the dvr sent from the same port 80? Any help is welcomed.

Renato Muñoz

Panama City, Panama

does this DVR use a ActiveX download to Internet Explorer ?

Perhaps the ActiveX component is not installed due to security settings.

A similar problem happens with network cameras, the control interface shows up, but until the ActiveX component is installed, you get nothing on the image.

I am curious about this problem, since I was looking at a similar network DVR.

I don't think it's related to the active x installation problem.

It is because it works on my notebook at home but not in the office which is behind a firewall (watchguard).

hi, well I looked around on the net for a manual and the one I looked at (similar model) just indicated one port was used.

so, if there is another port being used, here is a way to find it.

put ZoneAlarm firewall on your notebook (since it works) and then when you connect to the network DVR it should pop up telling you what port(s) are trying to get access.

then you will know.

BTW, I tried a way similar by using netstat -n

I'could only found port 80 is established to the DVR server.

Also, whenever I got the blank white video content, the Java console keep showing message below

login run

First-login

Error: java net SocketException: Connection reset

Seems it cannot establish a socket instance

BTW, I tried a way similar by using netstat -n

I'could only found port 80 is established to the DVR server.

Also, whenever I got the blank white video content, the Java console keep showing message below

login run

First-login

Error: java net SocketException: Connection reset

Seems it cannot establish a socket instance

Since java is reseting the port, it makes sense that netstat would not report an open port. Zonealarm is a good idea.

If you really want to see what is happening, Ethereal will tell you, but it is not for the non-technical user.

I meant I've found no port other than 80 is established even I ran it at home where I can get the video shown in the box. Java console having no such socket error message as well.

Nevertheless, I'll try zonealarm or ethereal anyway.

I meant I've found no port other than 80 is established even I ran it at home where I can get the video shown in the box. Java console having no such socket error message as well.

Nevertheless, I'll try zonealarm or ethereal anyway.

Ah. got it.

When you try to login from behind a firewall, can you get to the logs on the firewall to see what the fw thinks is happening?

I have a 782 which I've been able to access anywhere without a problem. The DVR is on DMZ at the server end router as I was not able to get it working by just opening port 80.

I do recall documentation indicating port 5000 and 5001 are used once a connection is established but this is not mentioned in the user manual. Without the DMZ I just got a white video screen.

kiwi,

Did you mean port 5000 and 5001 on the client side?

My 760 is also benind my home router too. I just open port 80 as a virtual web server only. I can still get it work anywhere except at my office protected with a firewall box. I had also open the DMZ for my DVR as well but still can't get it work from my office.

Thanks anyway for your info.

Well, clearly if your server is on the DMZ then you have identified the problem as being your work firewall.

Avtech certainly are an irritating company. They have no support pages on their site, never seem to offer firmware upgrades, and have never answered my emails. My 782 is now sold as a 782A which probably means they have finally fixed the bugs, and so this will be my last DVR from them.

Sometimes it's your local computer's firewall blocking.

Sometimes it's the router firewall blocking.

Without going into how to do a trace and determine the problem, try changing the port to some uncommon ports, or common ports. It'll solve the problem without having to go into very techical details.

Normally, dun use the common port, e.g. 80, 8080, etc. Hacker scan these ports first, and phone like nokia block access to these ports. So certain dvr with phone apps cannot connect to the dvr when u configure dvr using these ports.

kiwi,

I had also open the DMZ for my DVR as well but still can't get it work from my office.

I am considering an AV760 and was interested in this thread. I'm new to CCTV stuff (DIY level) but have a decent computer background. From that I've learned that some work environments can, for example, block streaming media while allowing other web surfing. Can you see other streaming content from work, like YouTube or CNN? Of course, a sophisticated firewall can be set up to allow ""trusted" sites and exclude all others. Only your IT staff would be able to create the firewall exception. (They probably already have logs showing your attempted accesses so they would know the ports and protocols needed.)

Mark