Hi all,

Geovision claim that their G250 and G600 cards will work with AMD CPU.

Does anybody have any actual experience of this ? I have XP2800+ Barton in a GigaByte GA-7VAX-A M/board running XP Pro. I am also considering the X-Vision cards if anybody has any knowledge - www.y3kstore.com

I intend to ignore the cheap cards on Ebay.

Thanks in advance

Steve

The geovisions tend to lock up with AMD systems, I have seen them happen, the only thing that I see wrong with the ALNET is that the CPU runs a little hotter, not by much, and yes, stay away from x-vision and the cheap eBay cards.

Hermin@shscomputers.com-----for more information about the ALNET

Geovision will work fine on an Athlon CPU the only thing you need to worry about is making sure that it has a SIS chipset, the problem is that most are NFORCE or VIA and these do not work with Geo, also there are heat issues with Athlons, if you use good ventilation I can tell you that it will work fine, I have done many Athlons, but I would always prefer the cooler P4 or Celeron machine. Besides that the P4 actually performs better.

The reason that Geo say the 250 and 600 work only is because these cards use one chip only and therefore do not require the hint bridge chip which has compatability issues with VIA chipsets.

Remember when there were no compatabililty issues a few years back, that is because we only had 25FPS machines which require 1 chip only and therefore no Hint Bridge.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll go ahead and order the Geo card. There's a special at the moment - GV250 - 8 cam card for £99 + tax.

regards

Steve

I would still check with Geo to make sure your mainboard is ok to use, however most will work with 250 and 600 series, there are always exceptions but not many!

Make sure to keep the chips cool though if your going to use an athlon

I've just installed a massive copper heatsink and fan. CPU is running at 30 deg C. I've managed to find a Gigabyte Soacket A mainboard with SiS 748 chipset for £40. If I do have any problems I'll probably change it.

Steve

I went with the GV250 - 8 port in the end as it is on special at the moment - £99. It worked like a dream, straight out of the box. Within two hours I had it all installed and the streaming web server and e-mail alerts up and running. Looks like I'm going to be OK with the VIA board (touch wood). I just need some cameras now.....

Sure!. I don't mind posting the ip address here. It's http://81.86.129.112/lanmpegview0.htm.user = demo, password = demo. It won't be working for a few days as i haven't any cameras installed. I used an olympus digital photographic cam to set up the GV250. I hope to have a cam set up on the driveway in the next couple of days but I'm trying to make my mind up which colour bullet cam to go for. I'm looking at a Sony Ex-view 480 TV lines with 4-9mm varifocal, which will go to 0.1 lux but I really don't know if that is suitable as a day/night cam as it's quite dark on my drive at night, or whether I should go for a cheaper cam with IR. I'd like fairly discreet cameras if at all possible as I don't really want to draw attention to them. All I'm after is a very clear image both night and day - (aren't we all !) I'll let you know when the cam is up and running.

Regards

Steve

As far as your camera choices go, the ex view is a great option for low light, however they are not always the best day picture, the problem is that in reality a camera needs to be for one purpose, low light and great at night or high qulaity picture by day.

To get around this I would look into a DAY/NIGHT colour camera that will swtch to low lux BW at low light conditions. Be carefull to purchase a lens that has a low F Stop as well or you are wasting your time.

The IR Illuminated bullets are garbage and I dont care what anyone says they really are rubbish unless you are buying something from extreme CCTV and paying mega bucks. (Cheaper to put in ambient lighting).

The problem you will have with a Day Night camera is that they are not small, I would suggest that you look to mount this type of camera with half or more of it recessed into the ceiling cavity, you can buy a lot of recessed mounting options that will make the camera more aesthetically pleasing and you will only see a very small amount of the camera.

Be very carefull if you are to mount an x view camera that you do not let the sun shine directly into it as they are very sensitive to light and even with filters and Auto Iris the camera can wash out very badly.

I hope this helped,

I hope this helps,